DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Operating the Mavic Pro at 6000 meters.

Trigger

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

I recently returned from the Himalayas where I took my Mavic Pro up to 6000 meters. I used an ND32 NISI filter which worked well. Issues were; cold batteries (duhh!), trying to operate the controller using an iPad Mini 4 whilst wearing glacier glasses (better off with a hood) and using spiralling or gliding descents instead of straight down. I hope to return next year and take the Mavic to 7000 meters. Might need a Mavic Pro 2 enterprise though. Enjoy the footage. Mark
https://vimeo.com/user59865896/review/299108606/e9a0fc2cf1

Reactions: leonvj
Can't see the footage, incorrect link. :(

Hi Everyone,

I recently returned from the Himalayas where I took my Mavic Pro up to 6000 meters. I used an ND32 NISI filter which worked well. Issues were; cold batteries (duhh!), trying to operate the controller using an iPad Mini 4 whilst wearing glacier glasses (better off with a hood) and using spiralling or gliding descents instead of straight down. I hope to return next year and take the Mavic to 7000 meters. Might need a Mavic Pro 2 enterprise though. Enjoy the footage. Mark

Love the scenery, very nice.;) Blimey I bet it was a bit brrrrrrrrrr there.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I recently returned from the Himalayas where I took my Mavic Pro up to 6000 meters. I used an ND32 NISI filter which worked well. Issues were; cold batteries (duhh!), trying to operate the controller using an iPad Mini 4 whilst wearing glacier glasses (better off with a hood) and using spiralling or gliding descents instead of straight down . I hope to return next year and take the Mavic to 7000 meters. Might need a Mavic Pro 2 enterprise though. Enjoy the footage. Mark

Due to the vortex state ring or something else?

Due to the vortex state ring or something else?

It was VRS. The drone dropped like a stone of one flight. I was aware of it but a Himalayan Griffin with a 3 metre wing span attacked and I had to get it down asap. Fortunately no damage.

I was using standard props and manoeuvring was much slower, as was climbing and descending. I use tripod mode a lot and turned it off at these altitudes. Horizontal flight was noticeably slower. Gimbal stability was good but there was no wind when I flew at 5200 meters. The biggest issue was cold. Dawn was minus 15 so I didn't even try to fly. I kept the batteries in my down jacket until ready to go. Even so, the battery drain was MUCH faster, I'd say as much as 20%. In one valley at over 4000 meters I ran completely out of battery. Fortunately, it landed ok. I'd love to try the self-heating batteries, and maybe a larger or tri-prop for added lift, but can't find an easy solution (a lot of balancing and adjustment of pitch, yaw, etc). Next year I want to go to 7000 meters but don't know if a drone has ever reached these altitudes.

One more thing. Drones are banned in Nepal unless you get a Nepalese license. I have friends there and they gave up after 3 weeks of trying for me. Don't travel with it in your hand luggage because if they find it upon arrival it's a $100 US fine. Pack it in your main luggage. Also, don't fly in towns with police. You will have it confiscated it if they find it. There are signs up on all the main trekking routes now. Wait until you are in remote areas, inform your guide, and he will tell you if its ok. I filmed herd of blue sheep at 4600 meters and chased them getting some great footage. Missed out on filming a snow leopard by one day as well.

I hope this answers your questions ok.

Reactions: BerndM
One more thing. You also need to set your gimbal to allow upward tilt. The mountains were so high I couldn't get the summits in a lot of the footage. Manaslu is over 8000 meters.

Thanks for that additional information. Lots of things to think about when faced with such extreme physical conditions.
Great job!

I would love to know if dji have ever experimented with 4 blade props for the pro or pro 2? I know they are less efficient and could heat the motors and reduce flight time etc, but at extreme altitude where it is cold the additional lift would negate the other issues for me. I wouldn't mind a 15 minute flight time if I could operate above 7000 meters. Thoughts?

How did you manage to get the drone up in the sky? My Phantom 2 at that time was already struggling on 3100m.
I didn't start using the Mavic until I was very remote (above 4000 meters). Apart from the issues above it took off fine. DJI states the operational ceiling for the Mavic is 6000 which it will do. I just don't know above that. Hopefully, next year will tell.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes