DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Opinions please. Buying Air1 vs Air2 in 2022

The more replies From you guys I read the more I’m thinking the air1 fly more combo for $330 might not be the smart move even at that price. Maybe wait a little and spend bit more for the air2. I’d consider a mini 2 but it don’t have the sensors which I find important.
I have Air 1, my first drone. I’m aware of the battery replacement concerns. My thinking was it’s a great drone to learn on and at some point down the road, I was always going to upgrade. Does your finances support this kind of thinking? If you need to keep your drone for quite a while, then buy something that will allow you to retain your first drone.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I have Air 1, my first drone. I’m aware of the battery replacement concerns. My thinking was it’s a great drone to learn on and at some point down the road, I was always going to upgrade. Does your finances support this kind of thinking? If you need to keep your drone for quite a while, then buy something that will allow you to retain your first drone.

That's a good way to look at it, and maybe haggle a bit on the US$330 . . . if you could snare it for a little less than $300, by pointing out the obsolescence both in tech and battery availability, it'd be fine to start with.
Just be sure to check battery health, cells balanced in charging is the big one, after moderate cycles, say 20 - 30 each would be good max.
A test flight would be ideal too.

* Just reading your first post again, I see you've had a Spark, so maybe you are past the learning stage anyway, and the Air 2 is the better option.

proprietary batteries have always been an issue, with not only DJI drones, but many other makes as well
it is something that ties the battery and drone together as a package,and makes up a lot of the cost, not only of the original purchase with the drone ,but also the price of extra ,or replacement batteries over time
and with the advent of the so called smart battery ,these costs have risen greatly in recent years
apart from the actual cells in the battery ,the biggest cost increase has been the fact that each battery has its own BMS ,instead of the charging being controlled by a separate charger it also allows the battery to communicate with the drone ,with regards to its remaining charge and state of health ,this type of battery is now becoming more widespread ,in other forms of RC models,
but without the proprietary casing so that they will fit different types of aircraft

You are so right, I do still like DJI drones but I do think that DJI is very naughty I always understand a company had to make parts to cover a consumer of the said product for up to 5 years after the manufacturer had stopped producing the said product, yet I cannot buy a brand new battery within 12 months of buying my MA1, Products these days should be made to last as long as is possible but they still make a totally new shape battery for all the drones they produce, like the bigger part of any company is to sell sell sell get that money coming in & keep it coming in, One of the subjects that really gets to me, lol
I'm sure you have experienced your local grocery store, or other store, no longer carrying your favorite brand of pickles, or chips, or whatever? Then you ask the manager and get more bullcrap about it being "on order," or "back ordered". Yet every return visit reveals the shelf space taken up with something else. If you like a pair of pajamas, or whatever, buy two or three of them. Same for batteries.

Dale

Reactions: old man mavic
I am thinking of buying a lightly used Mavic air1 fly more package for $330. Do you guys think it’s worth it or spend like $500 on a used air2 fly more package instead? I am pretty new to the drones and am not a professional photographer but trying to get into it as a hobby and for vids and pics on vacation and hiking. Only drone I had before was a spark. Is it worth it for $330 for the original air in 2022 or wait for an air2 for $500? Opinions greatly appreciated!
Dji Air2S

Alex, take a look @ the refurbished market too. I was just going through the same process and ended up with a refurb that is in perfect shape and came with a two year warranty..... and it was eligible for DJI Care. I still need to get the bird up in the air for extended fly time but right now I am real pleased with the purchase. I did use a DJI partner for refurbished so I did buy with confidence.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22