DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Opposing Drone emitted a bright white flash right...any ideas?

Welcome to the thread of AN EXCERCISE IN FUTILITY.
That’s all you got to add to this thread then don’t add no more.
Thanks.

Reactions: Starz
I wouldn't be too concerned about what ever it was. Never heard of a commercially available drone that can take out another drone with a bright light that would also break your signal connection. You need to be able to get into the signal stream, jam using a radio frequency transmitter or get into the programme on the chip etc to do that. All of these are either expensive, heavy for a drone to carry or have technical knowledge pre- requisites. As an ex military electrical engineer I am not aware of any commercially available technology that can do that through a bright light.

I often carry 4 large and powerful (for a drone) strobes that can momentarily appear to be 1 when viewed from even a short distance and angle.

Sometimes weird stuff just happens. My mini was once attacked by a swarm of bees that blocked up the air vent. I lost the control link, the drone (20 or so yards away from me ) just hovered at about 8 to 10 metres height until the battery ran out. I had absolutely no control of any kind, or video link.

Perhaps if you can post the data files it might give more info.

Don't worry and carry on flying. At first there will be things happen that concern you, but the more you fly the more you understand and learn.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Should have tried the old WW2 tactic of downing an enemy aircraft when out of ammo and your going to die anyway, fly straight up from underneath into his props " Ïm going to bring you down with me you S.O.B!!", or headed straight for him with the "who cost more attitude", and ÿou want some of me Heh!!😂

An old lesson from WW@, never fly in a straight line.

This is where quick reactions and versatility overpower bulkiness and slow reaction. I once saw a WW2 spitfire out maneuver a Typhoon fighter at low speed because the Typhoon was designed to fight at high speed and the spitfire ran circles around it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too concerned about what ever it was. Never heard of a commercially available drone that can take out another drone with a bright light that would also break your signal connection. You need to be able to get into the signal stream, jam using a radio frequency transmitter or get into the programme on the chip etc to do that. All of these are either expensive, heavy for a drone to carry or have technical knowledge pre- requisites. As an ex military electrical engineer I am not aware of any commercially available technology that can do that through a bright light.

I often carry 4 large and powerful (for a drone) strobes that can momentarily appear to be 1 when viewed from even a short distance and angle.

Sometimes weird stuff just happens. My mini was once attacked by a swarm of bees that blocked up the air vent. I lost the control link, the drone (20 or so yards away from me ) just hovered at about 8 to 10 metres height until the battery ran out. I had absolutely no control of any kind, or video link.

Perhaps if you can post the data files it might give more info.

Don't worry and carry on flying. At first there will be things happen that concern you, but the more you fly the more you understand and learn.
No need to post data files, the video is obvious to any real pilot, the lights were from a commercial airliner.

Reactions: sar104
To any Real Pilot?. You dont know who I am, you dont know what I have done or where I did it. I never saw the video as I dont have the link.

My response was a friendly toned albeit belated response to a notification I received just this morning. My politeness is preventing me from saying what I really think of the increasingly sarcastic, arrogant and ill mannered tone of some posts on this forum. I joined this forum to learn more about drone flying and to chat with like minded people. In the last few months I have noticed an increase in the sarcastic and ill mannered responses mostly by the same individuals.

I appreciate the technical advice and knowledgeable info from people who genuinely want to learn and others who want to help out, particularly when it comes to problem analysis. I always read the comments from Meta4 and others as they have taught me an awful lot about flying in general and how to analyse problems. This also includes new fliers who have made mistakes and been humble enough to ask for advice on how to avoid making the same mistake again. Far too often now, these people are being greeted with sarcism or elitism from a small minority.

My ignore list of some individuals who regularly post sarcastic, ill mannered and unnecessarily aggressive comments is getting longer by the day.
You may have misunderstood.
I was not talking about you or what you may or may not be, know, or have done. I was stating a fact that a real pilot, as in one who sits in an aircraft and controls it and thereby has real time up in the sky knowledge, will know that the video shows a commercial airliner on a landing approach. All those who are not familiar with manned aircraft, up in the sky in person flying, might not understand what was actually being show in the video.

When commenting on a post, it is always best to actually watch the video in question and preferably read all the previous posts as well, prior to putting up a comment. That way you know what has already been said, and therefore, not be posting repetitive info already stated, and also not continue posting what has already been deemed, not to be. The video was in this thread to be viewed, however, going back through, I now see that it has been removed for some reason.

I'm not quite sure I understand the point of you posting a comment about a video you did not even see, because how could you even know what to comment on? My comment was not directed at you personally. Had you been able to see the actual video the OP posted you might have had a proper understanding of what he was actually filming that evening.

Last edited:
There are some "unusual" people out there. I know of a practicing Medical Doctor in her mid 40s who claims a drone hovers over her house day and night watching what she is doing and waiting for her to leave so that the pilot can break in (she has actually had a lot of breakins). She believes that the same drone follows her down the freeway to work, then follows her back when she leaves. I have tried to explain that this is simply not possible and why would it be happening anyway, but she remains unconvinced.

• Wow
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spitspin