DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Opposing Drone emitted a bright white flash right...any ideas?

Wow, very interesting. I though for a minute that the big drone shot out a web of some kind (like spiderman) and captured the smaller drone. Thanks for the explanation, lol.
That's exactly what happened - the large drone fired a weighted net over the small one.

grab8.jpg

Reactions: Martyc6
Wow, very interesting. I though for a minute that the big drone shot out a web of some kind (like spiderman) and captured the smaller drone. Thanks for the explanation, lol.

The net thing is EXACTLY what that was, it's a drone fired anti drone device that's been around quite a while.

This is one type, there are probably others . . .

Ok so the site won't allow me to upload the video so here is the link to view. The first one is the screen recording showing the whole incident. The 2nd link is slowed down to show the led on each arm alternating. My aircraft was fully functional at this point. Then when you see the brighter flash simultaneously from each arm, I lose all control. My controller started making a bunch of noise and my phone went completely unresponsive. I had to unplug it from my controller and restart it. Maybe a minute later my drone returned to home. I could then see the drone off in the distance watching. I showed him my favorite finger . I'm really glad I was screen recording because even though I was recording, it vanished. Without the screen recording it sounds like nobody here would believe it or understand it. I don't blame you it was a very wild experience.

In addition there has not been a single night in the last few week or so where I haven't seen MULTIPLE drones operating above and around my house. Not uncommon to see 10 a night. Now that I am entering the hobby I definitely look up in the sky more often but it's hard to not become paranoid seeing them around this much. Maybe im just not used to it and was ignorant to the fact that alot of people enjoy this hobby. Im thinking it was an EMP that disabled me. I had 5 bars to my controller and I want to say 20 or so satellites.

Also, here are 2 articles that could be a possibility but it doesn't explain the flash.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

In addition there has not been a single night in the last few week or so where I haven't seen MULTIPLE drones operating above and around my house. Not uncommon to see 10 a night. Now that I am entering the hobby I definitely look up in the sky more often but it's hard to not become paranoid seeing them around this much. Maybe im just not used to it and was ignorant to the fact that alot of people enjoy this hobby. Im thinking it was an EMP that disabled me. I had 5 bars to my controller and I want to say 20 or so satellites.
Your story sounds more and more paranoid.
No-one is seeing 10 drones hovering over their house each night.
No-one is having their drones hijacked either.
No-one is having their drone disabled by EMP.
That just isn't happening.

You were disoriented, you lost signal and your drone returned to home just as it is programmed to.
There's nothing weird or suspicious about that.

And the video you posted gives no indication of anything coming close to your drone or doing anything to it.
It shows nothing more than some distant blinking lights.

I'd recommend only flying in daylight if you don't want to have episodes like this scaring you in future.

Your story sounds more and more paranoid.
No-one is seeing 10 drones hovering over their house each night.
No-one is having their drones hijacked either.
No-one is having their drone disabled by EMP.
That just isn't happening.

You were disoriented, you lost signal and your drone returned to home just as it is programmed to.
There's nothing weird or suspicious about that.
Im not saying 10 drones are hovering over my house. You must have misread. I'll re-type as I must have been unclear.

There are nights I have seen drones 10 or more times. Not all at once obviously and it could easily be the same 3-4 drones multiple times throughout.

To clarify the above statement for you- I have "regularly" observed 3 or 4 in the sky at the same time observable from my property.

Im not claiming 10 drones are hovering directly over my property. They are in flight for the most part not "hovering" as that was an assumption made by you.

In short I am new to the hobby, trying to gain knowledge and insite from people who have more experience and can maybe offer an explanation if they have one. I put the effort in to provide more details when requested. I see you can't answer the question regarding the sequence change in the leds either other than chalking it up to being "disoriented". I wanted to join a forum offering these things and hopefully learn enough to be able to reciprocate this back one day. Unfortunately it seems there always has to be that one ( Mod Removed inappropriate Language)who forgets at one point he started off new and not knowin. That will be you.

-Airanoid2s

Last edited by a moderator:
To clarify the above statement for you- I have "regularly" observed 3 or 4 in the sky at the same time observable from my property.
I find that just as difficult to believe.
In short I am new to the hobby, trying to gain knowledge and insite from people who have more experience and can maybe offer an explanation if they have one. I put the effort in to provide more details when requested. I see you can't answer the question regarding the sequence change in the leds either other than chalking it up to being "disoriented". I wanted to join a forum offering these things and hopefully learn enough to be able to reciprocate this back one day. Unfortunately it seems there always has to be that one ( Mod Removed Inappropriate Language)who forgets at one point he started off new and not knowing. That will be you.
I've explained your "sighting" already.
You have an overactive imagination and have made assumptions and assertions that are unbelievable.
That's advice from a very experienced drone flyer.
What you've suggested you saw was not drones at all.

I could be more blunt but good manners prevent it.

Unfortunately it seems there always has to be that one dickhead who forgets at one point he started off new and not knowing. That will be you.
In this situation, there is one person with very little knowledge of drone flying and forgetting that others have more experience and understanding than he does.

Reactions: Flycaster
"I find that just as difficult to believe."

I find it extremely difficult to believe that such an experienced drone flyer finds this hard to believe.

"What you've suggested you saw was not drones at all."

Wonder what these small flying creatures could be with strobes and red and green lights attached. I would have just as easily posted a video of what I described but these unbelievable.

"You have an overactive imagination and have made assumptions and assertions that are unbelievable.
That's advice from a very experienced drone flyer."

That's not advice, ironically enough that an assumption and assertion.

Not once did I forget that I am new to this. I think I stated that more than enough.

Glad you know how to mind your manners, judging by the majority of your replies to other members you feel the need to talk down to people in your condescending tone. It's obvious you feel the need to be superior to others. You should work on that..... < ------ advice.

-pAIRanoid

Reactions: Wade L.
"I find that just as difficult to believe."

I find it extremely difficult to believe that such an experienced drone flyer finds this hard to believe.

"What you've suggested you saw was not drones at all."

Wonder what these small flying creatures could be with strobes and red and green lights attached. I would have just as easily posted a video of what I described but these unbelievable.

"You have an overactive imagination and have made assumptions and assertions that are unbelievable.
That's advice from a very experienced drone flyer."

That's not advice, ironically enough that an assumption and assertion.

Not once did I forget that I am new to this. I think I stated that more than enough.

Glad you know how to mind your manners, judging by the majority of your replies to other members you feel the need to talk down to people in your condescending tone. It's obvious you feel the need to be superior to others. You should work on that..... < ------ advice.

-pAIRanoid
Just fly in daylight, the alien drone snatchers will all be asleep then.
And the help you need isn't something you can get here.
Really ... because what you are describing is completely imaginary.

Just fly in daylight, the alien drone snatchers will all be asleep then.
And the help you need isn't something you can get here.
Really ... because what you are describing is completely imaginary.
Thanks Meta.
Best piece of advice I could expect from such a simple soul.
Millions of drones sold each year and its unbelievable too see a multiple flying simultaneously. ?? night night.

The videos REALLY did look like an aircraft banking / turning on approach, which made the light sort of change with angles.
It didn't help zooming on it, I think it was going parallel to you then turned / banks away.
It could have been a departure too, or even a heli or light plane just flying around.

Don't get too stressed out, and really odd you seeing drones in the air.
I know you are NC US, and it's perhaps a bit quieter here down under for drones in general still, but I hardly EVER see anyone else flying a drone, I think no more than perhaps half a dozen times in nearly 5 years.
The fact there are so many locations to fly, and most consumer drones will only be airborne for 20 - 25 mins at most, leads to not really having them noticeable in the air at any one time / place.

It is probably aircraft you are seeing, unless they are close and you can hear the drone buzz.

Happy flying.

Yes the Big one shot a net and captured the small one!

In this situation, there is one person with very little knowledge of drone flying and forgetting that others have more experience and understanding than he does.
My thought and Opinion is, it really does look like an actual manned aircraft (a little too close for my comfort again my opinion) on approach to a nearby airport. As for your drones loss of signal and returning home, it really could of been a fluke.

From an experienced UAS Pilot, get a ton more day flying in, then dabble in dusk/sunset flying experience, then hopp into the night..

But really get more acclimated to your aircraft, and all that it does in different circumstances, these are high tech devices which some consider TOYs (Which they are not TOYs).
Sometimes they just glitch out for an unknown reason or 2, but usually or most of the time in my experiences its been user error/my fault that it returned home/crashed into a Tree/Ground/Clothesline/Telephone-line.

To sum it up, fly more when you can see your drone and understand what it does.

Keep flying and always try and obey the rules.
Picture for motivation, post some other pictures in the Photo part of the forum for us to see.DJI_0354-2.jpg

Im not saying 10 drones are hovering over my house. You must have misread. I'll re-type as I must have been unclear.

There are nights I have seen drones 10 or more times. Not all at once obviously and it could easily be the same 3-4 drones multiple times throughout.

Im not claiming 10 drones are hovering directly over my property. They are in flight for the most part not "hovering" as that was an assumption made by you.

In short I am new to the hobby, trying to gain knowledge and insite from people who have more experience and can maybe offer an explanation if they have one. I put the effort in to provide more details when requested. I see you can't answer the question regarding the sequence change in the leds either other than chalking it up to being "disoriented". I wanted to join a forum offering these things and hopefully learn enough to be able to reciprocate this back one day. Unfortunately it seems there always has to be that one dickhead who forgets at one point he started off new and not knowing. That will be you.

-Airanoid2s
Well actually you did sort of say that, if a person simply reads what you stated, which is...

......"In addition there has not been a single night in the last few week or so where I haven't seen MULTIPLE drones operating above and around my house. Not uncommon to see 10 a night.".........

"Operating above my house" does sound like they were hanging about above. When you say "around my house", that too sounds as if you are saying they were flying around your house, not necessarily circling it but at least singling out your house to flying about close to.

Therefore, don't be surprised or upset that someone has taken those words for an understandable literal explanation from you, of what was happening to your house.

I'm not saying you did not experience what you you feel happened to your drone (people would have never believed that a letter agency has been listening to and reading every phone call and transmitted typed message for years, if that had not been leaked, a number of years ago) but Meta4 is one of the most helpful people on this forum and one that most turn to for help when they have strange things happen to their drone and it flies off and is lost.

Meta4 is not one of those type that hang around on here just to put people down, in fact that is not what he does and if you were a longer time member here, you would have experienced that. I still would like to know how far away your drone was from you and altitude, when this happened because when I've flown at night, I can not see a single thing in the sky other than my flashing lights because everything is black up there.

Last edited:
Ok so the site won't allow me to upload the video so here is the link to view. The first one is the screen recording showing the whole incident. The 2nd link is slowed down to show the led on each arm alternating. My aircraft was fully functional at this point. Then when you see the brighter flash simultaneously from each arm, I lose all control. My controller started making a bunch of noise and my phone went completely unresponsive. I had to unplug it from my controller and restart it. Maybe a minute later my drone returned to home. I could then see the drone off in the distance watching. I showed him my favorite finger . I'm really glad I was screen recording because even though I was recording, it vanished. Without the screen recording it sounds like nobody here would believe it or understand it. I don't blame you it was a very wild experience.

Also, here are 2 articles that could be a possibility but it doesn't explain the flash.

Having studied your supplied video, I can tell you that what you were filming is a commercial aircraft on approach to make a landing at a nearby airport. As your video began, that aircraft was flying from the left to the right with the landing lights visible from the side (your vantage point) and then it began a left gentle banking turn to the airport. As it began that left turn you can clearly see the change in the position lights on that aircraft. You will see that as it turns away from you, the landing lights begin to point away from you and eventually can't be seen, because they are now facing directly away from you.

As it continues its left turn, you can then begin to see the wing tip strobes which separate wider as the aircraft is facing away from you more and more, which shows it is not a helicopter but rather, a fixed wing aircraft. Helicopters have a different strobe pattern to fixed wing aircraft which helps identify them to other pilots sharing that airspace. You can see the belly light and the wing tips flashing and the tail strobe and even see the gentle angle of bank as it continues its left turn away from you. At the end of your video that aircraft is now facing away from you and flying off into the distance as it continues its left turn, probably to line up with the runway of the nearby airport. I can tell you it was in a landing phase because if it was taking off, you turn off your landing lights, once you are in climb out and all that would be visible, is the position lights of the aircraft.

If you can remember exactly where you were facing, take a look at a google earth map and I'm sure you will be able to see an airport nearby to your position. At no time did I see a flash of light beamed out from that aircraft, directed toward your drone and I did not see your drone suddenly fall from the sky, at least not according to the video you supplied. I could see that you turned your drone from time to time and increased your altitude slightly, or possibly tilted your drone's camera up a few degrees and back down slightly.

Reactions: Iamthecaptainnow

As pointed out by others, that's so obviously an airliner with all the regular navigation lighting on approach to an airport that it makes your posts seem very strange. You live near an airport but you have never seen aircraft at night before?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada