DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Options for Extra Controller Power

If you actually WANT to charge your iOS device you can use the middle connector with a regular Lighning cable using an Adapter that has the Resistor "code" to see every USB Source as charger...
(If it does NOT work like it is, such an adpater is << $1 from .cn)
But as was stated, most prefer their Tx not to be drained by the smartdevice...

Ender

Problem with this is the data lines from the reg usb on the mavic controller actually have a transmission signal... I would not use an adapter meant for chargers only.

Just speculating here, but from what I have read there is a handshake that occurs when you plug in your device to a usb port with active data line (mavic controller, pc, etc) and it will request a current draw. If say your laptop is not plugged in it may only provide a small amount of current at the time thus no charging is shown on an ipad but it will still get something none the less. Seeing as some people report having seen the charging symbol during use or for just a few seconds when connected, this might just be the reason. Who knows, DJI could send out firmware update to provide more juice when connected to an external power source, providing the circuitry inside can handle it, or just save that for next gen...

Considering that the controller power runs down too fast as it is I am glad it doesn't try to charge my i phone, my power bank will recharge the controller via the side port with my iPhone connected to the bottom USB port while flying.
Haha. But not the best flying configuration!

I get about 5-6 full flights before even thinking of charging, how many does yours do?
I only get 3. But my S7 Edge definitely charges from the side port drawing down the RC batteryy. I haven't tried connecting via the lower port.

I would be curious to know if the range of the controller is reduced any by lower power levels on the battery? Anyone notice any degradation with a lower (say 30-50%) battery?
I had that same thought. Really depends on the design. That is my biggest concern when the battery gets below 40%.

To reduce power draw from your iPhone whilst flying I found that turning on airplane mode seems to help. Downside of this is that the maps won't load as they rely on your phone cellular connection but it's only the graphics it won't affect how it flys.

To reduce power draw from your iPhone whilst flying I found that turning on airplane mode seems to help. Downside of this is that the maps won't load as they rely on your phone cellular connection but it's only the graphics it won't affect how it flys.

Before you turn on airplane mode, cache the map of the area you'd like to fly.

Reactions: Loz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jridout