DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ordered Mavic Pro

rcglider

Reactions
Experienced pilot with mostly larger craft, would like to know if there bugs to watch for during setup and thereafter of the Mavic.

Are there major issues some/most experience? Frustrations in the sw/fw by DJI? I had a P4 but sold it last year; am an Arducopter guy, but cannot build a copter the size of the Mavic with the camera it has; really liked the way it flies.

Any tips on operation etc.? Once I fly there's no turning back as BB now charges 15% stocking fee so I'm pretty much committed.

Thanks.

Hi RCGlider and welcome to the Mavic forums. Congrats on your new baby. It's a great aircraft.

In addition to what Mike wrote, you should look at accessories if you didn't get the "fly more" pack: Mainly a case & extra batteries. One cheap accessory I got was landing gear extenders. There are a ton of them out there, usually under $10. Really helps keep the Mavic out of the grass and a little further from dirt and gravel during takeoff/landing.

Experienced pilot with mostly larger craft, would like to know if there bugs to watch for during setup and thereafter of the Mavic.

Are there major issues some/most experience? Frustrations in the sw/fw by DJI? I had a P4 but sold it last year; am an Arducopter guy, but cannot build a copter the size of the Mavic with the camera it has; really liked the way it flies.

Any tips on operation etc.? Once I fly there's no turning back as BB now charges 15% stocking fee so I'm pretty much committed.

Thanks.

I have been flying RC for a long time. I am one of those people that is so used to pulling back to go up I even have to invert my y axis in first person shooters so down is up and up is down.
I have had two P4's and the Mavic. Out of over 500 flights on the three combined the only crash I ever had was my first P4.
I was coming in to land...........things got a little dicey....I needed to ascend quickly and in a panic I pulled back on the controls to go up (like an RC plane or real aircraft) and crashed it into the top of a shed. 100 percent pilot error. Dumb thumbs if you will.
Anyway....as a new drone operator that was the hardest thing for me to get used to.

Ok, I updated, calibrated and studied the flight modes etc. Today I took it up. So far:
2) stability for such a small size
3) flight time
4) camera
5) everything I need to fly fits in the man purse. Sure beats lugging around a huge backpack when it isn't needed.

Dislikes:
1) slow roll, not much angle available. Is that adjustable?
2) seems to be stubborn occasionally to land when ~3 ft off the ground.
3) knowing which Android tablet will work reliably. Sorry, I absolutely refuse to buy an Apple.

I need more time with it, but so far it's what I wanted for those times when it is drudgery lugging the big stuff when all I want to do is have a little fun.

Well I'm really bumming. After flying, getting used to the controls and beginning to bond with the Mavic, I decided to unpack everything, charge up the extra batteries, peel the plastic off everything and get ready to bring it North tomorrow for some filming at the beach. I have other options, but wanted this MP for a good portion of it. Things came to an abrupt halt when the sd card got jammed; was replacing it with a 64gb one. I could not get that $%#! thing out. It left me no choice but to return the whole thing to BB. They didn't have a replacement in stock so I'm out a MP. They were going to charge me 15% restocking, but since I returned it only one day after receiving in the mail, obviously I wasn't a "test driver". So they took it back with no strings.

Too bad, I was getting into it; definitely a change from what I'm used to, but it was a pleasant experience. The only downside physically with the MP is you are very limited in takeoff and landing sites, but since I bought it for a specific purpose that wasn't an issue.

So I'll likely wait as the cold season is approaching.

For those interested, my Motorola Droid Force worked without a hitch using Go App 4.

Thanks.
Ahah, nice questionsssssss buddy. Is like the almost total sum of the threads here are the answersssssss of your questions.

That sucks about the SD card. Just for future reference the Mavic has an upside-down SD card slot so with the Mavic standing normally the card would be inserted with pins facing up. If you put it in backwards the pins probably got bent and wouldn't allow the card to be removed. Otherwise maybe the pins were damaged from the start. Either way I'm glad Best Buy got you sorted out, now you can buy a new one from Amazon, B&H, Adorama or any of the countless other sites selling the Mavic.

-Joe

I'm not surprised as SD card enclosures are notoriously weak and are prone to splitting at the seam inside the card slot, too bad the Mavic doesn't use a CF card as they are much more sturdy and less prone to damage.

-Joe

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada