DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ordering Mavic Pro today... need help

Reprofish

Reactions
I am ordering a mavic today and have a couple of questions. I'm new to this, so please bear with me.

First question is does it matter where I order from as far as warranty goes?

Also, the current phone that i have is a galaxy j3, which is full of apps and garbage and I do not believe it's going to be what I need to fly the mavic. So either I want to order a new phone, or a dedicated device. I've been browsing here and reading, and I've noticed people talking about tablets with and without GPS. I would prefer not to use my phone because of the problems associated with calls, texts, notifications etc. But I also do not want to lose the features associated with the GPS and having cellular service. I'm a little confused about how all that works. Oh, and I am not a fan of Apple, and I do not really want to switch out my current phone for an iPhone. So I'd rather stay android based.

Would someone please help me with this? I've read so many conflicting experiences I've confused myself beyond belief LOL.

I am ordering a mavic today and have a couple of questions. I'm new to this, so please bear with me.

First question is does it matter where I order from as far as warranty goes?

Also, the current phone that i have is a galaxy j3, which is full of apps and garbage and I do not believe it's going to be what I need to fly the mavic. So either I want to order a new phone, or a dedicated device. I've been browsing here and reading, and I've noticed people talking about tablets with and without GPS. I would prefer not to use my phone because of the problems associated with calls, texts, notifications etc. But I also do not want to lose the features associated with the GPS and having cellular service. I'm a little confused about how all that works. Oh, and I am not a fan of Apple, and I do not really want to switch out my current phone for an iPhone. So I'd rather stay android based.

Would someone please help me with this? I've read so many conflicting experiences I've confused myself beyond belief LOL.

1.As long as it's DJI Authorized reseller and you can obtain a proper receipt.
2. I think you need a more capable device than the 1 you have, I'm using Galaxy J7 w/ AOS 601 since day 1 and have very little to none issue w/ it. Also using a LG G Tab X8 w/ same OS and no issue. Also need to mention that a lot of users are using Apple devices for better performance ( I do not have experienced with it so I'm not sure).
3.GPS....you need it for some flight modes and more precise HP.

Reactions: Reprofish
Yes, I agree with a more capable device. Just seem to be so many options and reports. Obviously I want the best performance with the least amount of problems, and just want to make a good decision the first time. So am I understanding correctly, that in order to have GPS capability I either need to be connected to WiFi or have cellular service? Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. All other help is appreciated as well.

Reactions: dck22
Incorr
Yes, I agree with a more capable device. Just seem to be so many options and reports. Obviously I want the best performance with the least amount of problems, and just want to make a good decision the first time. So am I understanding correctly, that in order to have GPS capability I either need to be connected to WiFi or have cellular service? Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. All other help is appreciated as well.
Incorrect. In order to see maps with your GPS position on them, you will need cellular service, wifi, or have downloaded the maps beforehand for offline viewing.

You can use your Mavic without having a phone or tablet connected to it at all. You just wont be able to enable the camera, see anything, or record. Without the phone/tablet, all flying is VLOS only. But the Mavic itself has GPS.. it's how it keeps a stable hover

I am fairly certain that all non-cellular iOS devices have GPS capability. My iPad mini has cellular, but I use it in airplane mode and I still get maps/gps functionality.
Up until the iPad Mini 2, non cellular iPads did NOT have GPS -- because the GPS and cellular shared the same antenna.
This may still be the case, but I am not positive because I left the business that required that I know that. ;)

So just to clarify, if I get an iPad mini 2, and do not activate cellular service, I will still be able to use the GPS and all of the functions available with the mavic? Follow me, RTH, etc?

So just to clarify, if I get an iPad mini 2, and do not activate cellular service, I will still be able to use the GPS and all of the functions available with the mavic? Follow me, RTH, etc?
You're kind of jumping all over the place. The Mini 2 w/cellular will have those functions available to it, yes. But if you don't activate the cellular service, you will have to download your maps in advance. This takes a lot of freedom away from you, and doesn't allow you to see satellite maps that can be invaluable. Also, though an iPad Mini can be made to work in the Mavic RC, it clearly wasn't designed for it. Plus you'll need a short, right angle USB to lightning cable (not supplied with the Mavic). A lot of people that go with the ipad mini, prefer the MavMount or other similar products. They affect the portability of your set-up but that's a personal decision.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd just get a better/newer phone.

Addendum: again, the GPS is part of the mavic. The gps info WRT it's location is delivered to the phone/tablet via the RC. The reason you want GPS on your tablet is so that the maps display correctly. BUT THE MAPS DON'T COME TO YOU BY GPS.

You're kind of jumping all over the place...

If it were me in your shoes, I'd just get a better/newer phone.

Yes, I know, sorry. That is what I'm thinking too. So any suggestions on the phone without having to spend alot? I have Verizon as a carrier.

Yes. Get one that is wifi only.

Hmm, I think I may be wrong. You need the wifi/cellular version, but don't need to activate cell service. Especially if you want follow me mode and to change the homepoint easily. (I never use either)

Last edited:
though an iPad Mini can be made to work in the Mavic RC, it clearly wasn't designed for it.

Huh? I feel just the opposite. The iPad mini fits perfectly in the arms of the controller, much better than my iPhone 7Plus. Bigger screen. The want of a short cable (I see no need for a right angle) is trivial. Also, no controller charging the iPad either.

Ordering from a reputable dealer that you can rely on for service would be highly recommended. If our team here at Advexure can assist you don't hesitate to shoot us a PM/email or give us a call. We'd have everything in stock.

As other members have mentioned, a more capable device is imperative. iPad Mini is a nice option, I personally would use my iPhone 6 Plus until I got the CrystalSky 5.5" which I now use pretty much exclusively with my Mavic.

Ok so question about this deal... https://www.walmart.com/ip/DJI-Mavi...4488&wl11=online&wl12=701081431&wl13=&veh=sem

DJI shows walmart.com as an authorized retailer, but it says on their website that the mavic "is sold and shipped by The Pixel Hub". The Pixel hub does not appear on DJI website as a authorized retailer. Is this still considered an authorized vendor because walmart facilitates the transaction?

Ordering from a reputable dealer that you can rely on for service would be highly recommended. If our team here at Advexure can assist you don't hesitate to shoot us a PM/email or give us a call. We'd have everything in stock.
Do you offer the package as listed above?

Ok so question about this deal... https://www.walmart.com/ip/DJI-Mavi...4488&wl11=online&wl12=701081431&wl13=&veh=sem

DJI shows walmart.com as an authorized retailer, but it says on their website that the mavic "is sold and shipped by The Pixel Hub". The Pixel hub does not appear on DJI website as a authorized retailer. Is this still considered an authorized vendor because walmart facilitates the transaction?

Walmart.com is simply the marketplace and platform which the vendor is selling on and whether Walmart is authorized or not would not have any impact on whether the product has a valid DJI Warranty.

Do you offer the package as listed above?

No, we do not work in the kind of third party product that is being advertised in that package. Do be careful with so much third party (typically Chinese knock-off) accessories. Not recommended to charge DJI batteries with non-DJI chargers, hubs, etc.

for a tablet sized device, watch ebay. I picked up a Nexus 7(2013) for $57 shipped. If you go Nexus make sure it is a 2013 version. Some have had issues with it on the mavic, others have not. If you use one it was recommended to me to dedicate it soley to the mavic and run nothing else on it. Nice big screen and it will fit in the factory controller arms.

It worked well for my phantom and plan to use it when my mavic arrives next week.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark