DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Oregon State park rules changing

Vic,

Can you point me to the Colorado regulations? I plan on being there this summer - I spent my 1st 42 years there
I can't find it listed on their site anywhere. I reached out. We'll see if they get back to me. There are individual parks that specifically prohibit them, but I can't find anything state wide.

Colorado State parks do have a ban on Drones, with 2 exceptions:

Read it Here: Colorado Drone Laws

"Colorado State Parks Regulation #100-c.24 (2018)

The regulation makes it illegal to fly drones and other UAS in all Colorado State parks. The only exceptions are those parks that have designated areas for drone operations.

State Parks that currently have designated areas for drone operations include:

Also, some cities have bans on their properties and parks

Cheers!

Reactions: Vic Moss

The regulation makes it illegal to fly drones and other UAS in all Colorado State parks. The only exceptions are those parks that have designated areas for drone operations.

Cheers!
Thanks. They don't make it easy to find on their website.

Reactions: db4476
Thanks. They don't make it easy to find on their website.
I usually check that site when visiting other states. It does seem to stay up to date, which is good.

Cheers!

Cheers!
Thanks! - Chatfield is a great place to fly - the friend that I will be staying with lives near there. They have a great area that was build originally for RC Planes.

I haven't flown at Smith Rock either. I don't even climb there anymore (or anywhere). It just always irritates me when Z21 does a news story because some "Karen" reports dangerous drones being flown around Smith Rock. Approximately mid summer they had some footage of a "rouge drone" being flown in the park while people were on a dangerous climb and it could have distracted them and made them fall. "Karen" provided the footage of the drone and made the complaint. No comments from the people climbing. And...they were unable to locate the operator of the drone so anyone with information could contact the station.

They did a story about this committee around Christmas time. I believe they even briefly interviewed Kenji Sugahara. What sticks with me was they reported that there are proven cases of drones "slaming into the cliffs" near climbers, endagering them. Though they did say that there has never been a report that drones ever caused anyone to fall. They clearly pointed out OAR 736-010-0040.8(a) that forbids: "Using or operating any noise producing machine, vehicle, device or instrument in a manner that disturbs or may disturb other park visitors..." and provided phone numbers to call if you encountered such an evil device.
KTVZ21 has agendas. They don't want anyone in the area to fly a drone except their own cameraman. I have run into them at Farewell Bend and Old Mill. Always with an attitude.

Drones have been banned at Smith Rock since 2014 so some of them are definitely not reasonable.
I also thought they had been banned at Smith Rock State Park. The one time I flew there they had no drone flying signs up, but they were is places not very obvious to see/find, so I didn't see them. I got some very good footage before a park volunteer came up and told me I couldn't fly because of the nesting birds and pointed out the signs, agreeing they weren't too obvious. Interestingly, I actually knew the person and since I immediately landed and put it away, I wasn't fined.

However, a few months back I was on the Smith Rock State Park website and it states very plainly that drones are not allowed during the nesting period. This would seem to me that flying during the non-nesting period is allowed. I live about 20 minutes from the park and will plan to fly outside the nesting period.

I guess it depends on who approaches you as to what happens, eh?

After July 31 it seems that it is totally legal, but if anyone complains to staff...you can still be fined under their noise ordinance. I have heard that you can potentially beat the ticket...but most won't go through the hassle and just pay it.

KTVZ21 has agendas. They don't want anyone in the area to fly a drone except their own cameraman. I have run into them at Farewell Bend and Old Mill. Always with an attitude.
That echoes what a friend told me about his run in with that news crew. They told him he couldn't fly there (somewhere on the river in Bend), but he knew he could, so told them to 'eff off. Threats were made, nothing became of it. Funny story how he tells it.

Cheers!

I hope they don’t limit it too much. Last summer I was flying at Yaquina Head Lighthouse and a park ranger told me I wasn’t allowed to fly. I put it away even though I had checked the regulations online and I didn’t see any restrictions. Flying with in reason of course. I did get six minutes of great footage before he showed up. 👍🏻
I've got a great, legal spot to fly from with good VLOS. I've taken some great pics there, including a large canvas that hangs on my living room wall. The lighthouse grounds do have signs prohibiting drones. IM me if you'd like more info.

Also limiting areas around nesting birds or even no fly periods when birds are nesting.
That makes sense, actually. Some species of birds are very skittish and drones spook them (just as dogs do — pretend you've just heard a rant about irresponsible dog owners letting them run free during calving season).

I heard them talking about limited take off and landing zones. Also limiting areas around nesting birds or even no fly periods when birds are nesting.
Most of the rock formations along the Oregon coast are considered wildlife refuges. There are already rules in place for every kind of vessel, airborne or on the water. I would have to check again, but I believe the limit is 500 ft. My understanding is that the rules only apply when nesting seabirds are present.

I have flown around a lot of those areas taking photos, mostly in the winter when there are no seabirds and fewer tourists. I do my best to follow the rules for the good of our hobby, although VLOS might be a little bit of a stretch for Tillamook Rock lighthouse.

They're considering re-writing the rules. Different parties want different things.

But Kenji said that Oregon Parks has said flat out that they consider drones a form of recreation, and they should be allowed in the parks.

We'll see what the compromise is. But the Parks Department is on our side. Or at least some of them are.
It's great that there appears to be some dialogue and compromise on this. I live in neighboring Washington State and there is no compromise here. No drones allowed in any state parks, period.

I live in the Sisters OR area and one thing to know is that in Oregon there are a TON of "State Parks." If you drive on the Coast, you will see a State Park sign and when you pull in all that is there is one picnic table and a trash can. This could get ugly..... Routing for Kenji

Appreciate Kenji’s efforts!

In my part of Oregon, the Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District (a HUGE parks district west of Portland) seems to have a very enlightened attitude:
Drones are allowed.
Drones are not allowed to interfere with other park uses.
Drones are not allowed in wildlife parks.

AND, they have a use agreement with NW FPV for a particular area of a particular park for FPV racing gates.

In other words, it’s reasonable to have designated areas AND general non-interfering use. What a great model! I pay taxes into this rec district… and I pay taxes to the state of Oregon and would like to continue to enjoy freedom to do what I want in a way that doesn’t impact others in state parks.

I think of Smith Rocks as a special case. I would love to get some footage there, it’s spectacular, but it is OVERRUN with people for three seasons. I don’t have much interest in that! It would be cool to fly there at a non-peak time.

Many TV news operations (I used to be part of one) do their best to create a sense of conflict and controversy. The equivalent of click-bait. It’s hard to credit “a drone could distract a climber who would then fall to their death.” It seems much more likely that a climber gets hit by a car on the way in.

Reactions: Vic Moss and db4476
That echoes what a friend told me about his run in with that news crew. They told him he couldn't fly there (somewhere on the river in Bend), but he knew he could, so told them to 'eff off. Threats were made, nothing became of it. Funny story how he tells it.

Cheers!
Yeah... somewhat the same thing they tried to tell me as well. I kept flying... they walked off threatening to turn me over to authorities. I'm still waiting for them to show up :)

• Haha
I haven't flown at Smith Rock either. I don't even climb there anymore (or anywhere). It just always irritates me when Z21 does a news story because some "Karen" reports dangerous drones being flown around Smith Rock. Approximately mid summer they had some footage of a "rouge drone" being flown in the park while people were on a dangerous climb and it could have distracted them and made them fall. "Karen" provided the footage of the drone and made the complaint. No comments from the people climbing. And...they were unable to locate the operator of the drone so anyone with information could contact the station.

They did a story about this committee around Christmas time. I believe they even briefly interviewed Kenji Sugahara. What sticks with me was they reported that there are proven cases of drones "slaming into the cliffs" near climbers, endagering them. Though they did say that there has never been a report that drones ever caused anyone to fall. They clearly pointed out OAR 736-010-0040.8(a) that forbids: "Using or operating any noise producing machine, vehicle, device or instrument in a manner that disturbs or may disturb other park visitors..." and provided phone numbers to call if you encountered such an evil device.
Here’s the thing if ‘noise’ is the issue. Rather than banning drones, just like manned aircraft over parks, set a minimum operating height. Most people (non-participants in the flight) don’t hear a drone that’s at 200’ AGL and they certainly are completely unaware of one at 395’ AGL. I’d rather be stuck flying higher than what I really wanted that shot at, but get to fly the area, than be barred completely.

Here’s the thing if ‘noise’ is the issue. Rather than banning drones, just like manned aircraft over parks, set a minimum operating height. Most people (non-participants in the flight) don’t hear a drone that’s at 200’ AGL and they certainly are completely unaware of one at 395’ AGL. I’d rather be stuck flying higher than what I really wanted that shot at, but get to fly the area, than be barred completely.
I'll disagree with the altitude suggestion.

We most certainly should "fly friendly", but what is the point of allowing drones if we're restricted to altitude? The entire reason to fly there would be to get imagery of the area. And if we're going to fly, it's we'd want to flexibility to get the shot we want. And that may not be at 200' or above.

And then you have the launching and landing aspect. We're obviously not at 200' there. And since we have to fly within VLOS, people will still hear it. So that doesn't solve that issue.

And how do you measure AGL? The terrain of a park is incredibly varied, so there is no real way to know how high you are once you're out over the area. You'll obviously know how high you are from your LZ, but once you're over a hill or valley, you no longer know.

Having a mandatory ALG limit is neither practical or reasonable.

This would have to be done at the federal level, I think. State parks, from what I understand, have no control over the air space above them. So, they want to limit where and possibly when a drone takes off inside their park.
There are certain circumstances that alter that... but they are also federal I believe. Raptor nesting sites have fly limitations during their nesting period. One that comes to mind is Fort Rock Oregon. They even have signs stating that drones are allowed except during certain months of the year. But they also limit the trails going up to those nesting areas. Whats good for the goose.

If the State Parks want to limit areas to drones, I am all for that. Put the signs out so everyone can see, that way nobody can complain. But to just go for banning all drones in all state parks and eventually other areas as they see fit is just wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LeadSledGirl
"If Oregon is reasonable,..." Perhaps you've never heard of our governor or legislature?

As Kodiak said, they banned drone flying in and around Smith Rock State Park. They lost that a couple years ago as the park department doesn't have the authority and the FAA wouldn't back them. But, it only took a couple of months for them to work with the fish and wildlife and they reinstated the ban to protect sensitive bird nesting sites so there is still a blanket ban from January 1 through July 31 each year. While technically this would allow drone flying august on...the park department also has a noise ordinance. “Activities or conduct which constitutes a public nuisance or hazard”. Basically they enforce this two ways. Firstly, drones disturb the serenity of the area for hikers with their noise (the same applies to someone playing a radio). The second is that a drone could distract a climber thus creating a hazard. The bottom line is if anyone complains (and they can find the operator) it's a $110 fine.
People need to keep voting the power Hungry people in office. That always helps

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair