DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Other People's Etiquette Around Drones

The answer is very simple.
Always fly WAY beyond visual line of sight.
People won't see or hear the drone and they'll figure your just playing CandyCrush on your phone like everyone else they know.They won't be curious in the least so you'll have a peaceful time. (Until you get arrested for flying WAY beyond visual line of sight or you lose your drone.)

Reactions: gppms
I'm starting to run into this a lot and was wondering how other drone pilots tell other people that are bugging them to frankly go away. When I am flying, I am trying to pay attention to the drone and the flying and someone walks up and tries to start a conversation and puts the whole operation at risk. What I do now is fly home or RTH and take the time to talk with them until they are satisfied at which point they usually walk away. Its a waste of a great video shot and it sometimes cannot be recreated. Any idea of a better way to handle it?

I am a professional photographer and I have had the same problem for years when working on location. (with my photography I have an outspoken assistant who deals with people and shews them away)
With my Mavic it doesn't always happen, but it happens often. So of course flying my drone is no different. So my solution requires the "buddy system." My friend and I often fly together. He'll be my spotter and I'll be his spotter. So being a "spotter" is not just looking for low flying aircraft, but also heading off any would be question asking people. We are never rude as I surely do not think that is the way to treat people. I would rather deal with 1000 questions than an a-hole that wants to call the police.
Most people find it interesting, however people don't fully realize they are bothering the pilot. Now with that said... I have encounter some real morons. Like the guy who wanted to talk and as I'm landing the Mavic his kid is throwing gravel at the drone. Or the little girl who came running out of nowhere and tried to step on my Mavic. In both instances the parents did nothing to correct the child.
It's the public and anything can happen.

Reactions: Fried Toast
I usually put my finger up and say "moment please" then return to my screen to assert control and assess the situation on my screen, using a ipad and sunshde helps as it looks more professional, people seem to take it a bit more seriously from the get go. Usually curious.

I don’t mind. It is distracting though. I’m more concerned about security. Too many anti-drone nuts trying to enforce “invasion of privacy” laws. Thank you DJI for offering a craft that can fly for miles. :)

Most people won't be doing it intentionally, they just don't realise. Did you before you got into it?
I think you are right, but whether it is intentional or not, it is still very disruptive and potentially unsafe. I try not to be rude, but I will dissuade them if possible.

I got the vest recently but since I rarely fly in populated locations, I haven't had the opportunity to wear it. Also I don't have access to a 'buddy' who is in any way willing to accompany me and run interference unless I am paying someone. My experience so far is that, In most everyday situations, this is a solo endeavor and really needs to be so.

I admit diplomacy can go a long way toward improving our image with the public, so I hope to be able to draw that happy medium without loosing my focus.

Reactions: FL1H1
I'm starting to run into this a lot and was wondering how other drone pilots tell other people that are bugging them to frankly go away. When I am flying, I am trying to pay attention to the drone and the flying and someone walks up and tries to start a conversation and puts the whole operation at risk. What I do now is fly home or RTH and take the time to talk with them until they are satisfied at which point they usually walk away. Its a waste of a great video shot and it sometimes cannot be recreated. Any idea of a better way to handle it?
If I am taking a video or stills I don't want to miss a chance or waste battery. I will just say "I need to pay attention to what I am doing" and walk away. If they follow and start again there will be harsher words, and I will remind them that their voice is being recorded on the DJI GO4 cache.

Steve

I try to answer if people approach me but sometimes I struggle to respond as I'm concentrating on the drone and I think they get the message

I
001-Drone+Operator+Inspire+X5RIMG_8589+copy.jpg
Got one, rarely fly without it, money well spent. Like any uniform it visually conveys (not gaurantees) authority, competence, and immediately sets the proper stage.

If an inteloper insists on breaking into your sterile cockpit, land, to regain control of the situation. Even a friendly conversation can break a pilot's concentration, think sterile cockpit, and as always remember it's always aviate, navigate, then communicate.

I

Got one, rarely fly without it, money well spent. Like any uniform it visually conveys (not gaurantees) authority, competence, and immediately sets the proper stage.

If an inteloper insists on breaking into your sterile cockpit, land, to regain control of the situation. Even a friendly conversation can break a pilot's concentration, think sterile cockpit, and as always remember it's always aviate, navigate, then communicate.
I use mine when I go to a field that have a police station nearby... Every time a cop past over, he stopped to see what I am doing and when they see me with the vest, he them leave. I love this vest, it provide respect even with the police.

My first drone encounter was on a beach with a professional pilot/photographer. I watched and patiently waited for him to land and start to dismantle his kit. When I approached him, I asked if he had a few minutes to answer some questions I had about his MP. He was most gracious and helpful and said he appreciated me waiting to approach him.
His thoughtful answers had me hooked on a new hobby that I hope to enjoy for a long time.
When approached while flying I've generally been able to say, "give me a few minutes to land this bird and I'll answer any questions you have," has worked very well for me.
I think an honest but firm demeanor works wonders for most, but there is a distinct possibility I will encounter a rude or thoughtless person and I am prepared for that as well. A little more subtle than the tee shirt (above); I keep a ball cap in my kit that says "LEAVE ME ALONE". I have only had to put it on one time while flying.
Be ambassadors for the hobby, but protect your assets.

1. I always try to fly from a non-obvious, little traveled place so i don't have to chat with people or be interrupted.
2. if i am, I tell them I'd love to answer their questions as soon as i land back in about 10 or so minutes, but i cant concentrate on both.

being nice and cordial goes a long way. 9 times out of ten they wander off because they can't wait that long. Fine with me.

I live in a fairly rural area and am anticipating people being curious and how to best handle those situations. Lot of great advice here about remaining in control and finishing the flight before engaging in conversation.

There are a LOT of responses here that I simply don't have time to read, so this may be a repeat.

Pick up one of those cheapo dayglow orange or green dork vests. It doesn't have to say anything on it. Just wear the dork vest. I find the difference between with or without is night and day. Some guys waste their money on "CAUTION: 107 FAA PILOT" or whatever. Waste of money. Plain green or orange dork vest, and people leave you alone. I think they're less than 10 bucks @ Harbor Freight. Good ones with pockets and zippers (as opposed to Velcro™) are more expensive, but are no more effective.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine