DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Other People's Etiquette Around Drones

o_O Seems we need a thread about forum etiquette too!

Also, the “ignore” feature found in the offenders profile is the same as blocking a member. You will not see post from that member after you click it.

Reactions: DougBlueSkies
Well... that escalated quickly...

fguox1.jpg

Another jacka$$
Wow man. I said that as a joke and even said it was a joke in the very next post. No need to leave nasty, profane notes on my profile.

Thanks but I disagree for the reasons already stated.
You can disagree, sure. But the fact is, most people that don't own a drone don't know "drone etiquette." They just don't, and expecting them to somehow magically know is unrealistic. As stated here previously, the ONLY ways to achieve what you want is to either have something that basically says "leave me alone", or quite simply talk to them. That's it. Otherwise they won't know any better. When people fly off the handle for no reason...inferences can be as to what the real problem is.

Reactions: Fried Toast
It's not impossible to turn people away and still be polite about it. As mentioned, non drone folks won't know etiquette. A polite mention "I don't mean to sound rude but I really need to stay focused on my aircraft...give me a couple of minutes and I'll be happy to chat" or "I'm working with a paying client at the moment and can't chat now" . I think most people will get it and not be offended

Reactions: MarcObarlow
Wow man. I said that as a joke and even said it was a joke in the very next post. No need to leave nasty, profane notes on my profile.

You can disagree, sure. But the fact is, most people that don't own a drone don't know "drone etiquette." They just don't, and expecting them to somehow magically know is unrealistic. As stated here previously, the ONLY ways to achieve what you want is to either have something that basically says "leave me alone", or quite simply talk to them. That's it. Otherwise they won't know any better. When people fly off the handle for no reason...inferences can be as to what the real problem is.

If you had your posts deleted, by a moderator, it would seem that there was a reason. Just sayin. I think the OP knows that regular citizens don't have good etiquette, from my reading, he/she was asking how to handle it. Anyways, I think you really do understand despite your post ... at least I hope so.

If you had your posts deleted, by a moderator, it would seem that there was a reason. Just sayin. I think the OP knows that regular citizens don't have good etiquette, from my reading, he/she was asking how to handle it. Anyways, I think you really do understand despite your post ... at least I hope so.
Hi OP, welcome back. I see your old account says guest now. Why are you referring to yourself in the third person? No, my posts didn't get deleted. They are still there. I did delete the nasty, profane message you left on my profile.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Hi OP, welcome back. I see your old account says guest now. Why are you referring to yourself in the third person? No, my posts didn't get deleted. They are still there. I did delete the nasty, profane message you left on my profile.

You mean the one where I called you a horses butt? LOL If you want to skirt the issue, then by all means keep your posts off topic. Either way, you aren't helping anybody in this forum. Which is why I'll be going soon. Frankly, it sucks here, and I'll be starting a forum of my own with a lot better management. You need not apply for membership.

You mean the one where I called you a horses butt? LOL If you want to skirt the issue, then by all means keep your posts off topic. Either way, you aren't helping anybody in this forum. Which is why I'll be going soon. Frankly, it sucks here, and I'll be starting a forum of my own with a lot better management. You need not apply for membership.
Haha. I didn't think you would admit to creating a new account and "defending the OP." But you did! What kind of person does that? You created a new account and acted like a different person because the only person to agree with you was yourself! Hilarious!!!

And I dont think you would have to worry about people trying to join your so called forum. But I think you should do it, that way, you can have unlimited accounts and you can talk to yourself through all those accounts! What a blast! lol

Well I will help you get gone now and good luck with that forum .
See ya
ms-8h1m2M.gif

I needed this today... :)
and to add the part where I stay on topic... Almost every time I have flown, someone has to talk to me, which I have not minded, since I fly for me and not commercially.
Top q I get: How fast, How far, how much

I'm starting to run into this a lot and was wondering how other drone pilots tell other people that are bugging them to frankly go away. When I am flying, I am trying to pay attention to the drone and the flying and someone walks up and tries to start a conversation and puts the whole operation at risk. What I do now is fly home or RTH and take the time to talk with them until they are satisfied at which point they usually walk away. Its a waste of a great video shot and it sometimes cannot be recreated. Any idea of a better way to handle it?
Yes, there is a better way. Be honest. I simply tell them something like, "I would very much like to talk to you but as you can see, I am flying my drone and in order to be a safe pilot it is important that I keep an eye on my drone and pay attention just as you should not use your cell phone when driving. I will be done in about 20 minutes. You are welcome to watch if you want and I will answer all your questions when my drone has landed." People will generally thank you, watch for a few minutes and then leave.

Yes, there is a better way. Be honest. I simply tell them something like, "I would very much like to talk to you but as you can see, I am flying my drone and in order to be a safe pilot it is important that I keep an eye on my drone and pay attention just as you should not use your cell phone when driving. I will be done in about 20 minutes. You are welcome to watch if you want and I will answer all your questions when my drone has landed." People will generally thank you, watch for a few minutes and then leave.

That rarely happens to me and when it does happen I let the aircraft to stay 3 meters high in the air and show the tablet to the curious people them explain how it work and the features. It’s really great to let people know why flying a drone is wonderful.

I fly for my YouTube channel and right now that doesn't require an FAA License. I've been through all the courses and understand the laws and rules. I even call the local airports to get an override when needed. I would need a vest with slightly different wording.[/QUOTE

Why don’t you just sit for the exam.

Last year I had someone at the aerodrome where I fly come up to my Mavic Pro and start handling it. I got rude and told him hands off. Nobody in any model airplane club lets strangers handle their planes or drones. He got rude to me back, and I felt I had to call the police. They chatted with him and he is no problem anymore.

Last week I was filming with my Sony X3000 camera rig on the Oregon Coast. A man walks up to me, while my camera is rolling (red lights on) and mounted on a tri-pod, he steps in front of it, pushes his finger on my lens and says, "Is that the lens"?

My response was, "you're asking me, where your finger is, if that's the lens?" and then I smile and say, "Really?"

He got it and walked away. I will probably block someone from touching my equipment going forward. I just can't risk the cost of them damaging my cameras.
I used to have a business in CA. building custom Harleys. "Bike people" don't like ANYONE touching their machines. It's like touching their wife! On a few occasions I had a person SIT on one of my bikes. These kind of people either have NO brains, or no respect for other peoples property.

Or just don't know .

I'm starting to run into this a lot and was wondering how other drone pilots tell other people that are bugging them to frankly go away. When I am flying, I am trying to pay attention to the drone and the flying and someone walks up and tries to start a conversation and puts the whole operation at risk. What I do now is fly home or RTH and take the time to talk with them until they are satisfied at which point they usually walk away. Its a waste of a great video shot and it sometimes cannot be recreated. Any idea of a better way to handle it?

Yo No speak English usually works for me.

Reactions: macoman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic