DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ouch, don't fly near the Manx TT.

it was certainly a message to others not to do it thats for sure

Reactions: twickers14
Don’t believe that he was not aware of the danger of flying a drone over or near a live race track. It’s COMMON SENSE. Cheers Len
I think you may know this already but I'll say it anyway. This is not exactly a "live race track." IOMTT is motorcycles racing all over the island, the entire place is "the track." Probably even your own backyard is "near the track" pretty much anywhere you live in town. Still illegal but not for the same exact reasons you would think when someone flies their drone over the football field during a match. If a TFR was in place, the pilot has violated. Having to go on the website and find out what the sport says about the next week and a half while they're racing motorcycles all over town....it's gotta be a little more than that and common sense, don't you think? I've been to races. There are drones flying at those races. But it's theirs not yours. There is an element of safety involved but it's also about broadcasting rights. At least here in America, the TFR timing is specified, the area is specific and limited, etc.

In Canada we are explicitly warned about "advertised events":

To keep yourself and others safe, fly your drone:
  • where you can always see it
    • You can fly at night if you have lights on your drone
  • below 122 metres (400 feet) in the air
  • away from bystanders, at a minimum horizontal distance of 30 metres for basic operations
  • away from emergency operations and advertised events
    • Avoid forest fires, outdoor concerts and parades

It looks like the Isle of Manx doesn't explicitly list advertised events, but it does place the TT races under a no-fly zone.

^Understood and it's a big event so everyone knows it's going on and should be aware. I'm just wondering if notification is only given in the newspapers or have they moved up to more official means. If there's a practice race from 2pm to 4pm and they are delayed, how will you know when things get rescheduled? Maybe as well just block off the entire week or two and lock everything down for the races. Imagine if they did that for the roads and traffic. It doesn't matter where you are or what is going on, if there is a TFR in effect and there is proper notification and you fly anyway, you are not legal. I think this guy was trying to capture parts of the races...and he got caught.

This just about covers it. It's been the same for all practice and race days over the past 2 weeks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230610_130221_Drone Assist.jpg
    Screenshot_20230610_130221_Drone Assist.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 15
Interesting that after all the punishment this guy received, adding insult to "injury" the court is going to destroy his drone. Kind of like saying " bad dog" then rubbing his nose in the soiled carpet, just to prove a point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N