DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Out of control drifting and crash into wall

tripod mode does let you get much closer to obstacles, but it still uses sensors, right?

Screenshot from a shot right after, the drone crashed against that wall, in the red circle. Sensors were for sure activated, unless tripod mode automatically deactivates them, but they were working perfectly fine 30 minutes before.
If the sensors can't sense a wall like that, they probably can't sense much !

View attachment 54485

I’m pretty sure they don’t work in atti mode. If your drone went out of gps mode it can’t use the sensors to stop before hitting the wall

I had a similarly weird experience (with much better results) in Tripod mode where I was done taking overhead photos of some construction work on our house, and I went to land on a piece of plywood sitting in the yard where the contractor stores stuff for the job. As I was bringing it down to land, about two feed off the plywood (sitting on saw-horses) and in the "Landing" mode, the drone started drifting quickly to the left. I couldn't react fast enough (mostly from surprise) and it touched down with two legs "off" the side and shut down as it was falling a couple of feet to the ground. A scratch or two on the props, but no other damage and it's flown great ever since.

Wide open spaces, only grass nearby, no wind, no magnetic issues, Vision and GPS were all good - settings perfect with full sensors on and working.

Until I read this, I just thought I had a "thumb-spasm" or some other thing I did wrong. Now I'm not so sure.

I am curious to know if you just performed a firmware update. I had a situation like this with a Mavic Pro which just took off after it exited from RTH mode. It had been in sport mode. Entered into RTH, then cancelled returned to home as it got close, then as soon as it was out of RTH mode it just flew off never to be seen again. It was about 70M up. I tried to compensate by pushing the stick. But the video had cut out and so could not tell what orientation the aircraft was facing. I should have had a look at the map / orientation option on the phone as disparate video signal loss that was still working. I was not sure if it had landed / crashed into trees etc... is just took off.

Before take off there were two errors. One about firmware not being consistent (I had just updated the firmware). There was also a message about 30 seconds into flight regarding the secondary campus being used.

I had loads of satellites. I suppose it is possible that the GPS failed / maybe some gagnetic interference caused the backup campus to go nuts and this resulted in the fly away.. I am not sure.

DJI still investigating months later :(

Just thought I would ask if you had any errors or warnings relating to the campus / GSP / firmware during flight or before take off. I think that the issues with the latest iOS app fix this particular error which I would see frequently (maybe ever 5-7th flight).

That is the only time I have had a fly away and up until then, I though all the people on the forum were just making it up!!!!

I am curious to know if you just performed a firmware update. I had a situation like this with a Mavic Pro which just took off after it exited from RTH mode. It had been in sport mode. Entered into RTH, then cancelled returned to home as it got close, then as soon as it was out of RTH mode it just flew off never to be seen again. It was about 70M up. I tried to compensate by pushing the stick. But the video had cut out and so could not tell what orientation the aircraft was facing. I should have had a look at the map / orientation option on the phone as disparate video signal loss that was still working. I was not sure if it had landed / crashed into trees etc... is just took off.

Before take off there were two errors. One about firmware not being consistent (I had just updated the firmware). There was also a message about 30 seconds into flight regarding the secondary campus being used.

I had loads of satellites. I suppose it is possible that the GPS failed / maybe some gagnetic interference caused the backup campus to go nuts and this resulted in the fly away.. I am not sure.

DJI still investigating months later :(

Just thought I would ask if you had any errors or warnings relating to the campus / GSP / firmware during flight or before take off. I think that the issues with the latest iOS app fix this particular error which I would see frequently (maybe ever 5-7th flight).

That is the only time I have had a fly away and up until then, I though all the people on the forum were just making it up!!!!

It's unfortunate that you didn't post your flight logs here.

It's unfortunate that you didn't post your flight logs here.

No access to the logs unfortunately. Did manage to extract something from the App. But as mentioned with the disconnect it may or may not be accurate. I had hopped that the remote had data stored inside but this seems to not be the case. If the aircraft flys off you only have the data on the connected App (assuming the app is connected at the time). In this case, had I been flying without a phone connected then perhaps the issue would not have occurred. No attempt to re-update the firmware before flight. It is also possible exactly the something would have happened.

Impossible to tell. All I know is that I have never had an experience like this flying a DJI product before or since this incident. Never seen anything like it in person. Just read about it online.

Hi everyone, first post on the forum (and first crash) after 3 years with DJI drones. My 2 months old Mavic Pro 2 decided to do some drifting today and crashed in a wall.

I was shooting between two factory buildings at a low height (corporate shoot) and instead of hovering like normal, the drone would drift heavily from side to side.
Was in tripod mode to take a shot and the drone decided to drift quickly to the right and crashed into the factory building, thankfully at a very low height (about 2 meters), Did a flip and crashed on its top, battery flying out, top cover will need to be replaced but the camera and gimbal seem fine for the moment, which is a relief.
No specific warnings about compass or magnetic interference but I figure it could have been that.

The side sensors were completely useless, didn't even notice the wall - the drone just drifted 4 or 5 meters straight into the wall, before I had a chance to go full throttle to the left.

On the flight log you can see the flight ending abruptly, without landing. I guess the "upwards obstacle detected" is the ground since the drone had flipped right before crashing.

First real problem with a DJI drone but quite a worrying one, the crash could have done much more damage to the drone.

Flight log : DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
I wonder if hitting the pause button would have stopped it.

Hi everyone, first post on the forum (and first crash) after 3 years with DJI drones. My 2 months old Mavic Pro 2 decided to do some drifting today and crashed in a wall.

I was shooting between two factory buildings at a low height (corporate shoot) and instead of hovering like normal, the drone would drift heavily from side to side.
Was in tripod mode to take a shot and the drone decided to drift quickly to the right and crashed into the factory building, thankfully at a very low height (about 2 meters), Did a flip and crashed on its top, battery flying out, top cover will need to be replaced but the camera and gimbal seem fine for the moment, which is a relief.
No specific warnings about compass or magnetic interference but I figure it could have been that.

The side sensors were completely useless, didn't even notice the wall - the drone just drifted 4 or 5 meters straight into the wall, before I had a chance to go full throttle to the left.

On the flight log you can see the flight ending abruptly, without landing. I guess the "upwards obstacle detected" is the ground since the drone had flipped right before crashing.

First real problem with a DJI drone but quite a worrying one, the crash could have done much more damage to the drone.

Flight log : DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
I had identical case as you described. Every point you pinned out is the same as in my case of crashing. No errors at all, perfectly step by step flying and after M2P hit the wall as yours.

Should we worry about Mavic 2 stability? I see an increasing number of people reporting unexpected crashes....:confused::confused::confused:

Should we worry about Mavic 2 stability? I see an increasing number of people reporting unexpected crashes....:confused::confused::confused:

What you should worry about is taking off in a location with magnetic interference, which is true with any of these aircraft.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
What you should worry about is taking off in a location with magnetic interference, which is true with any of these aircraft.

Well yes that is definitely right. Also a good GPS signal (at least 10-11 satellites) should be achieved before taking off. Don't know if all those people reporting crashes are keeping any preflight check procedure including these points.

Speaking about interference, I do believe that the new Mavic 2 keeps complaining for magnetic interference match more frequently than original MP1. At least that's my personal experience.
I've noticed that I am being asked to calibrate compass every time I move to a new location which is 30-50Km away than the previous one. MP1 never asked me to calibrate compass even when I traveled to a another country in Europe.

And I am always nervous when I have to re-calibrate compass. Not because of the 1-2 minutes delay, but because of anything that could go wrong during the process. I do need to find a sport far away from metals etc and within a city that could be tricky.

Fly safe!

Well yes that is definitely right. Also a good GPS signal (at least 10-11 satellites) should be achieved before taking off. Don't know if all those people reporting crashes are keeping any preflight check procedure including these points.

Speaking about interference, I do believe that the new Mavic 2 keeps complaining for magnetic interference match more frequently than original MP1. At least that's my personal experience.
I've noticed that I am being asked to calibrate compass every time I move to a new location which is 30-50Km away than the previous one. MP1 never asked me to calibrate compass even when I traveled to a another country in Europe.

And I am always nervous when I have to re-calibrate compass. Not because of the 1-2 minutes delay, but because of anything that could go wrong during the process. I do need to find a sport far away from metals etc and within a city that could be tricky.

Fly safe!

The Mavic 2 firmware requires calibration every 30 days and if you move more than 50 km from the last flight location. Annoying, but that's what they have done. I've not yet checked to see if it can be turned off in the editable parameters.

Reactions: SCK
The Mavic 2 firmware requires calibration every 30 days and if you move more than 50 km from the last flight location. Annoying, but that's what they have done. I've not yet checked to see if it can be turned off in the editable parameters.
Thanks for confirming! It's a relief to know that this is how it was supposed to work.

"no power lines and the staff said there shouldn't be much metal but could have been "

I am not knowledgeable on the sensors, but re: metal, well apart from the visible and invisible steel reinfocement to all the concrete, the whole second floor of the building is metal clad, it's in plain sight

The Mavic 2 firmware requires calibration every 30 days and if you move more than 50 km from the last flight.

To increase your knowledge base, I will add this:

I just got a Mavic pro 2 on 11/4.
I never did a calibration out of the box. I have flown it in Columbus, OH- in Savannah, GA- in Newark, NY and finally in Austin TX.

Not once was I requested to do a calibration, so moving it more than 50 miles or Kms does not seem to be consistent, as I have never seen it, and as you can see, I fly it all over the country.

I am anxiously waiting for the 30 days reset, which should happen in the next 48 hrs I guess...

Carry on and thank you for your valuable posts in this forum.

To increase your knowledge base, I will add this:

I just got a Mavic pro 2 on 11/4.
I never did a calibration out of the box. I have flown it in Columbus, OH- in Savannah, GA- in Newark, NY and finally in Austin TX.

Not once was I requested to do a calibration, so moving it more than 50 miles or Kms does not seem to be consistent, as I have never seen it, and as you can see, I fly it all over the country.

I am anxiously waiting for the 30 days reset, which should happen in the next 48 hrs I guess...

Carry on and thank you for your valuable posts in this forum.

OK - that is interesting. There have also been a few reports from people who have not been prompted for the 30 day calibration, primarily, it appears, because the "last calibrated" date on their aircraft is years in the future. It's not very satisfying that the firmware doesn't always seem to behave consistently.

The M2 doesn't seem to mind magnetic interference. I've been flying from vehicle roofs, under power lines and towers, boats and metal structures.
The compass seems to self calibrate and my M2P has flown straight as laser for 1,228km and 204 flights.

OK - that is interesting. There have also been a few reports from people who have not been prompted for the 30 day calibration, primarily, it appears, because the "last calibrated" date on their aircraft is years in the future. It's not very satisfying that the firmware doesn't always seem to behave consistently.
I didn't calibrate the compass either out of the box nor have I been prompted to. I've only had it 5 days and flown it 4 times though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu