DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Outraged - Critical mid-flight DJI Go4 Crash

I've had the app just go away on me during flight on my iphone 7 since the last patch. Usually I can just run the app again and it reconnects.

I always make sure the RTH altitude is set high enough.

If the UAV is too far away to see its orientation it can be difficult to turn in back towards you without the app but you can turn it until the distance is getting less on the controller.

Also, you can switch your device, phone/tablet into airplane mode, that will prevent it from looking for updates or from receiving any sort of messages/emails while flying. You don’t need connection on your device, it only works as a screen, the connection is in between the drone and the RC.
I check for firmware updates FileZilla UC Browser https://downloader.vip/rufus/ once a week indoor, while having my device connected to the internet, so everything is updated when I am ready to fly.
If it is the case Androids are abysmal, what do people recommend as a cheap secondhand iphone tablet with a decent amount of screen real estate (9 or 10 inches) and brightness?

If it is the case Androids are abysmal .....
But it isn't the case at all.
What you've heard is a myth that isn't supported by fact.
A good Android tablet runs the app at least as well as any good Apple device.
A substandard tablet runs poorly regardless of the operating system.

Glad you got it home, those few minutes can produce a little “pucker fear”. As suggested, if you do a few RTH operations, gain confidence, the anxiety & fear will minimize.

Revisit Yester-Year manual methods...
@Dronage and a few touched on craft orientation at distance. The RTH procedure is good if goal is home point. If wanting to stay down range, don’t waste batteries bringing craft closer than needed. This practice was used long before video transmission provided a FPV orientation view; which could easily orientate with the Sun or brightest sky in video to provide orientation.

If craft visible... and spotted in Sky; moving craft towards or away from You is impossible to see at distance and depletes battery experimenting.

The standard method to gain an understanding of craft orientation is to perform a few maneuvers to first obtain knowledge of current orientation & reposition orientation.
This and stick “timing” are rudimentary exercises to aircraft training movement. These used to be practiced with sUAV to gain fundamental flight experience before modern electronics simplified flight operations.

Obtain Distant flight orientation:
1) Remain calm and methodical in actions. 2) Perform a stick 90 or 270 (left or right) movement for a few seconds, did craft visually move sideways? 3) If not, stick rotate (yaw) craft 35-45 degrees (learn apx time & stick hold to turn for reference), 4) Perform a stick left or right again, most likely you should now see sideways movement, if not repeat steps 3 & 4. 5) If stick movement matches craft direction, perform smaller stick rotate (yaw) and repeat left or right. Once left or right movement appears to match stick movement you’ve oriented the craft. 6) If opposite direction, simply yaw 180. An alternate method for those finding stick timing for yaw difficult was perform a 90, if no sideways movement, move stick yaw 10-15 degrees 100-105 and check sideways movement, repeat with additional using 120-130 and check for sideways movement. Once sideways movement verified, now counter yaw the same degrees over 90 to correct orientation and reverify & fine tune if needed to obtain accurate orientation.

Practicing fundamental sUAV exercises near home base: stick timing, figure 8, square, cube, and orientation maneuvers helps in unexpected, compass, GPS failures and understanding rudimentary craft characteristics assists in confidence to maintain control. With increasing FAA requirements and possible certification tests, these fundamental skills may once again become required to exhibit.
Brilliant post....thank you..!!

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Brilliant post....thank you..!!
Great to hear you enjoyed.
For those interested in the older navigation methods; probably isn't a lot of interest on the Mavic site. The day of the full electronics in everything we do is new mindset. Which is great until you need to resort to more basics.... like flying in ATTI mode without GPS.

These discussions occur more in the Matrice or Home builders forums.

Reactions: Dronage
I am wrong to be outraged that my Mavic Air was put at serious risk by a failure of the DJI Go4 app on my tablet this evening (UK time)? I was some distance away and the MA was under my direct control following the river Yar towards Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight. After a couple of minor communication glitches - probably due to occluding reed beds - she was proceeding at 6m height above the water when my the DJI Go2 App window simply vanished from my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S2) with an Ankher cable to the MA controller). I was as you can imagine devastated and aghast. I restarted the App immediately but it went to the flash start-up screen and said "select vehicle" (or some such message). It would not reconnect with my MA.

Is there any way to get round this if the MA is not close enough for an easy connection?

There was no WiFi close by so in fact the app seemed to searching for updates, for goodness sake, not for my drone!!!!

Is there any way to cause the App to stop looking for updates and get on and do its job of connecting to the drone?

Fortunately I had set RTW to 30m height and take off point. After some breath defying minutes I heard the drone back above my head.

But still the stupid DJI Go4 App was not connecting - it was still looking for updates, I think!!!. I put the controller and tablet on the ground and prepared for action.

Can you force the app to try to connect when the drone is 10m away?

I was standing on the edge of a bridge on a ledge with no parapet above a muddy river. I had a landing pad but had the drone chosen to land 1m off centre it would have fallen 6 foot into the wet mud. I had no means of controlling it since the DJI Go4 App was not connecting. I did not think, in the stress of the moment, that the controller might (not sure) have worked even though the tablet app was saying no connection.

If you have a tablet or phone plugged in, and the App has crashed, will the controller on its own control the drone?

I had seen hand catching done but never tried it. The drone is less than a month old and its my first DJI drone.

The drone descended rapidly as expected and then hovvered looking for precision landing I think. At that point I risked my fingers and grabbed it from underneath and vowed never to let go! It squealed dementedly and tried to to escape upwards! I had as a game plan to wait for the batteries to die!! I pulled it down and it still wouldn't stop automatically. I could not safely reach the battery button and was scared of turning the drone upside down. Eventually I knelt on the ground and brought the drone down to near ground level when it got the message and switched off.

How do you force MA to shut off if you have grabbed it but cant reach the contoller? Or if the App has crashed on your tablet??

I have left my tablet in its original state following the crash and refusal to re-connect to the drone. I have not updated Airdata yet or anything as I don't want to destroy logs or data evidence.

What on earth do I do now? If this had been a serious exercise lives could have been put at risk????

Please help me?

An app failure is one abnormal procedure you do need to plan for during a preflight. Some things you can do to be proactive.

1) Give your phone, tablet or whatever device you are operating the app on a fresh boot up prior to flight.

2) Should this happen to you in flight, STOP. Release any control inputs. The drone should remain stationary in hover flight.

If you have positive VLOS on the aircraft and are aware of your attitude and orientation, hand fly the aircraft back to your launch point and land.

If a visual on the drone lost and you need to use the app to locate your position, shut down the app and restart it or reboot your mobile device, then restart the DJI Go 4 app. This will not cause the drone to depart controlled flight and crash. The app should automatically reconnect with the drone once started again and the GO FLY link appears on the main page.

Once the link is reestablished, test the flight controls again with GENTLE inputs, being careful when doing so near obstacles. Your first task may be to ascend the drone to an altitude well clear of ground clutter prior to trying.

After you have determined that you again have positive control of the aircraft, hand fly the aircraft to your departure point, land and shut down the app first, the aircraft second, and the controller third. Then restart and begin operations per manufacturer's instructions

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
An app failure is one abnormal procedure you do need to plan for during a preflight.

Words of the WISE!

If I had the ability to, I would award you a TROPHY for the best comment on the forum today!!

An app failure is one abnormal procedure you do need to plan for during a preflight. Some things you can do to be proactive.

1) Give your phone, tablet or whatever device you are operating the app on a fresh boot up prior to flight.

2) Should this happen to you in flight, STOP. Release any control inputs. The drone should remain stationary in hover flight.

If you have positive VLOS on the aircraft and are aware of your attitude and orientation, hand fly the aircraft back to your launch point and land.

If a visual on the drone lost and you need to use the app to locate your position, shut down the app and restart it or reboot your mobile device, then restart the DJI Go 4 app. This will not cause the drone to depart controlled flight and crash. The app should automatically reconnect with the drone once started again and the GO FLY link appears on the main page.

Once the link is reestablished, test the flight controls again with GENTLE inputs, being careful when doing so near obstacles. Your first task may be to ascend the drone to an altitude well clear of ground clutter prior to trying.

After you have determined that you again have positive control of the aircraft, hand fly the aircraft to your departure point, land and shut down the app first, the aircraft second, and the controller third. Then restart and begin operations per manufacturer's instructions
Nice Organized instruction!
I'd agree, being prepared for App failure and possible ways to restore normal app operations should be known and practiced. Any thing to reduce or lower a Pilots' anxiety is a procedure worth practicing and learning!

Although, within your procedure it sounds like you're recommending the aircraft be stopped and "not be maneuvered" as a cautionary procedure, suggesting as an action to prevent loss of control or connection. Once the App is restarted and connected to the RC, it's recommenced to bring aircraft back to Hm LZ and restart all devices for renewed connectivity.

I'd totally agree with restarting the app if you wanted to continue down range video operations requiring the screen and the associated screen information. But if your intention is to bring aircraft back to the Hm LZ, the tablet App is not required. Simply press the RC's RTH button and let her ascend & return or until you have good visual; cancel the RTH and continue to fly it Home.

It's vital the Operator is aware that No RF connectivity is lost during an App crash, although all viedeo & screen information are not operational. The App connects with the RC Flight Controller, not the aircraft... the RC FC connects to the aircraft and that is not effected during an App crash; Positive control is never lost between RC FC & Aircraft.

The exception would be an autonomous Flight App, running a pre-staged in memory flight mission. The standard procedure to regain & recover from autonomous flight missions is to cycle the RC's Mode Sw to Sport & Back to terminate the autonomous mission.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yeah, I have been seriously thinking about that. The MA is practically invisible at about 400 meters, and if i look down on the phone and look up again, it is impossible to find it.
Even with strobes, beyond 400 meters is quite difficult to find if you look down on your display, certainly during daylight. I have two Firehouse strobes (4 LED) , one red and one white, attached to the bottom of my MA - it certainly does help, but it's still difficult to keep in sight. I've also applied red chrome vinyl wrap to my landing gear extensions, and it can make a large difference if the sun is out - sun glint.

Or ....

Had some time to take a closer look at the upper model Huawei M5 Pro. You are correct, It is a nice spec’ed unit... and nice thin designed case.

It’s very close spec’ed to the Samsung Tab S4... the Tab S4 has a little more processor power, a faster graphics processor, and Samsung’s highly rated & brighter spec’ed AMOLED screen. The M5 Pro is equipped with 64GB max, the TabS4 offers 64 & 256GB.

That all stated, the M5 Pro 64GB unit is only $50 lower; M5 Pro @ $450 and TabS4 64GB @ $500, and the 256gb @ $600 (all Amazon prices).

In comparison, 64 to 64GB, both great units and similarly priced, although does indicate regardless of brand, when similarly equipped & performance specs... M5 Pro, TabS4 or the iPad the prices are also very similar.

After review, I’m good with the 256GB TabS4 & iPad Pro 10” with brighter screens for my purposes but would agree the M5 Pro is a great Android 10” 2K tablet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest