DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Outraged - Critical mid-flight DJI Go4 Crash

Tablets... iOS or Android. Most popular hardware is probably the iPad and this popularity due to numbers sold, probably be the easiest to obtain robust performer for tablets (not including phones). The android tablet market has dwindled in market to either low end or high end models. Not many making high end android tablets in same performance scale as newer iPads... and not at a lower cost... high end iOS & Android are similar in cost.

Probably the highest performing Android tablet would be the Samsung Tab S4; and Tab S5e a few clicks down. When released, the Tab S5 will be the top Android tablet.
Cost of Tab S4 is $600-750 depending on memory, so not a lot less than similar performing iPad Pro..

The DJI tablet: Crystal Sky is an Android with exceptionally bright screens.

The 3rd party Apps may be the deciding factor; some run on both, some dedicated to iOS and others dedicated to Android.

Samsung Tab S2

When it comes to performance, this little guy is known for its snappiness meaning it won’t provide any hiccups performance-wise. It’s powered by a 1.8Ghz Quad core processor as well as a 1.4Ghz Octa core processor, both of which are being supported by a whopping 3 gigs of RAM. Combine that with a wide 8-inch super AMOLED display and you’ll realize why it’s such a popular choice. But, keep in mind that, just like all other tablets out there, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 also has a fair share of lag in terms of on-screen footage vs your drone’s current position. While that might trouble you at first, after a few flying sessions you’ll come to terms with it.

4 Best Tablets For DJI Mavic Pro [June 2017] + Usage Instructions.
The best Android devices are hindered from near (DJI Go4) perfection, because of differences between models and companies that produce them.
Think of this; Each major company touts superior hardware and design, i.e. Samsung, LG, etc, etc. Add to that, each company produces different model lineup.
Some models only run on their respected OS "Lollipop" "Nugat", "Marshmallo"...etc, and this is changing constantly. A model running older hardware, may suddenly be upgraded to newer OS!
Then, each of those many companies usually, don't run straight Android! They overlay their company's custom "look" i.e. Samsung= Galaxy.
This is not bad at all for their regular tablet and phone customers, but DJI has to do a little "dance" in order to get Go 4 to work for every Android hardware and software obstacle they encounter,
for countless, different tablets and phones. That's why, even though I am not a Apple fan, I purchased an iPad mini 4, for my MP. Apple products are solid and predictable.
Apple apps are apple certified. Not like Android apps that might inject bugginess into the system.
DJI doesn't need to make different tweeks for iOS, as much as Android.
As for a stand alone tablet, I would prefer the Galaxy s2!!
But for my drone.. iPad!!

Not many making high end android tablets in same performance scale as newer iPads... and not at a lower cost... high end iOS & Android are similar in cost.

Probably the highest performing Android tablet would be the Samsung Tab S4; ...
Cost of Tab S4 is $600-750 depending on memory, so not a lot less than similar performing iPad Pro.
Here's the best performing Android tablet for flying:
At $319 it's a lot cheaper than the Samsung S4 and runs the app perfectly and without complications.
Even cheaper is the previous model, and it runs the app just as well:
The best Android devices are hindered from near (DJI Go4) perfection
The best Android tablets easily achieve DJI Go 4 perfection.
Then, each of those many companies usually, don't run straight Android! They overlay their company's custom "look" i.e. Samsung= Galaxy.
They may add their own features but under the covers, the Android operating system is the same.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I totally agree with both posts above about ever changing custom setups on devices, my solution was dedicated device, stripped of bloatware running pure android (Nexus 7) btw. brighter than M5, only Achilles heel of older devices is micro-USB connector which is chronically prone to disconnections, I simply replaced one for the new and use Anker cable - result is rock solid performance for DJIGo and Litchi . As the backup LGV20, same thing - stripped of bloatware, no auto-updates or auto-connect, making sure that when in flight only flight software is running - simple. For Apple products reported being more reliable it might be just better (lightning) connection.
USB-C is resolving that for Androids.

The best Android devices are hindered from near (DJI Go4) perfection, because of differences between models and companies that produce them.
Think of this; Each major company touts superior hardware and design, i.e. Samsung, LG, etc, etc. Add to that, each company produces different model lineup.
Some models only run on their respected OS "Lollipop" "Nugat", "Marshmallo"...etc, and this is changing constantly. A model running older hardware, may suddenly be upgraded to newer OS!
This is not bad at all for their regular tablet and phone customers, but DJI has to do a little "dance" in order to get Go 4 to work for every Android hardware and software obstacle they encounter,
for countless, different tablets and phones. That's why, even though I am not a Apple fan, I purchased an iPad mini 4, for my MP. Apple products are solid and predictable.
Apple apps are apple certified. Not like Android apps that might inject bugginess into the system.
DJI doesn't need to make different tweeks for iOS, as much as Android.
As for a stand alone tablet, I would prefer the Galaxy s2!!
But for my drone.. iPad!!

I use both iPad Pro and Tab S4... also Mini 4th Gen but reserved for non-intensive Apps like DJIGo4 & 3.

But for those considering one over the other, it’s really not an OS issue, both perform very nicely if on high performance hardware. It’s more your intended needs or simply personal brand preference. Lower grade hardware will fail more often, and due to hundreds of Low End Android tablets perfectly suitable for Netflix, Kindle, or Games on market, these will fail as a Flight Control system. Basically common sense, a $700 tablet will outperform a $150 tablet.

I mentioned the Tab S4 because Samsung is currently the only USA provider of high performance Android Tablets. Other brands offer lower performance tablets. For the top performing Android tablet on par with iPad Pro, it’s basically the Tab S4.

Although I understand where you’re coming from, similar to my speech on Windows machines, although more precise on Windows hardware and multiple Drivers made for multiple configurations & combinations. Apple’s Macs have focused Drivers for their spec’ed hardware, improving stability. That’s more accurate statement due to machine architecture layers: hardware, BIOS, Interface layer, Component layer, then finally Operating System layer. The Windows OS doesn’t interact directly with hardware layers, even Machine Language programming communicates normally through interface language.

Although not necessarily true with iOS or Android OS... including Android Tablet hardware. You mention the dedicated Brand OS, normally that’s “core” Android OS with additional modules to address unique specific hardware. The main difference is Ft End mostly for End User Interface, the custom Brand’s Launcher Shell... which actually isn’t directly coupled to the OS, you can use (I always use separate) different Launcher Shells. The Android OS core is basically 1 version used throughout multiple companies with custom modules and shells.

As with iOS, the Android OS doesn’t have multiple interface layers, per Android specs. Firmware on hardware is designed within parameters of the OS core and API.

As with Apple iOS, having only 1 single hardware brand and specifications, there still exists supporting multiple versions of older hardware and is burdensome and eventually has cut-off support versions. The iOS would be much smaller if only written for 2-3 generations of hardware.

The Android OS, when you consider the massive number of different hardware, brands, Firmware, and different company’s developers, since maturing the last 2-3 versions has had a very stable history considering the challenges of all the varied hardware. Compare the number of patch updates between iOS & Android; more iOS between core versions.

Your Older OS statement is correct, due to rapid development of hardware (market leading components) the newer OS’s stop supporting older hardware: 1) maintains a smaller efficient core OS, 2) Improves overall Performance. Which is why you see so many phones not receiving or listed as not-compatible for new OS versions. But that doesn’t effect stability if remaining on older OS unless the upgraded app no longer supports the older OS version.

The compatibility of DJI Go4 or DJI Go3 for Android isn’t tweaked for multiple versions or hundreds of hardware. They’re written to spec for the API interface specifications, 1 version download in App Store. It does have a compatibility list, limiting hardware to modern performance devices, similar to iOS version that cuts off at Mini 4th Gen as lower end. If Android App was written otherwise, the app would be huge to include all the different libraries. Currently the iOS app is twice the Android size (apx 500meg iOS and 250meg APK downloads).

The Older DJIGo (version 3) continues to receive minor updates for NFZ or minor performance. This DJI app continues to be compatible with all supported versions of iOS & Android and provides stable flight control for older aircraft platforms. The DJIGo4 continues to improve, add models and stability for both iOS & Android.

As previously mentioned, the DJI hardware CrystalSky is Android and considered very stable. The core OS is not updated much since focus is dedicated to RC flight control.

If I desired to use AutoPilot, Flight Plan, FPVCamera for a mapping project, I’d have to use the iPad Pro. A iPad Mini 4th Gen would crash running most of these apps... Autopilot does not include older iPads or iPad mini 4.

If desired to use UgCS, Drone Harmony or other would require a strong performing Android.

Pix4D works with both.

On a freezing cold day or hot day, I’ve had issues with both iPad Pro and TabS4. Both work about the same in reliability.
Comes down to personal preference, best price, supported apps.

Reactions: Kazo
Here's the best performing Android tablet for flying:
At $319 it's a lot cheaper than the Samsung S4 and runs the app perfectly and without complications.
Even cheaper is the previous model, and it runs the app just as well:

The best Android tablets easily achieve DJI Go 4 perfection.

They may add their own features but under the covers, the Android operating system is the same.

Those are nice for the price, but don’t outperform the Tab S4. The DJIGo 3 or 4 app will run on any modern, mid performance system. Other apps require better / faster performance.

But as you indicate, if price is the primary catagory... several are good options. If you want a large 10” high performance tablet, similar in size to an iPad Pro 10”, price secondary, the TabS4 is currently the only one in the upper end. Personally, I’d like to see more brands return to the tablets, but most have abandoned the Android tablets.

Last edited:
I have absolutely had the DJI GO 4 application crash on me during a flight of my MZ. Not going to lie, I pooped a little. Thankfully, the drone was just hovering and I was hesitant to move it.

I restarted the APP and it reconnected. However, the drone is fully capable of being flown with just a controller. It's just different.

What other posters have suggested is true, just like a fire drill, you are better able to respond when you have been through it already. In a controlled setting, go and recreate that issue. Practice how the drone reacts and see what it feels like.

Now I know what your going to say...do 747 pilots nose dive their aircraft for practice?....obviously not...unless your an astronaut simulating zero g. However, they do have simulators and they do practice.

There are safe ways, if you think hard enough, to create common flight issues with drones.

I have absolutely had the DJI GO 4 application crash on me during a flight of my MZ. Not going to lie, I pooped a little. Thankfully, the drone was just hovering and I was hesitant to move it.

I restarted the APP and it reconnected. However, the drone is fully capable of being flown with just a controller. It's just different.

What other posters have suggested is true, just like a fire drill, you are better able to respond when you have been through it already. In a controlled setting, go and recreate that issue. Practice how the drone reacts and see what it feels like.

Now I know what your going to say...do 747 pilots nose dive their aircraft for practice?....obviously not...unless your an astronaut simulating zero g. However, they do have simulators and they do practice.

There are safe ways, if you think hard enough, to create common flight issues with drones.
Glad you had a successful outcome, but relax... you don’t need the app, tablet, phone, etc to fly DJI platforms. You only “Need” the RC flight controller. It has RTH button for the failsafe purpose and controller will fly craft without app,

For those questioning safe operations...
Start your RC controller and aircraft... don’t connect any screen (tablet / phone).

Take off... fly it, land it.
All works great!
Now plug in a tablet or phone... you’ll even get the logs.

Glad you had a successful outcome, but relax... you don’t need the app, tablet, phone, etc to fly DJI platforms. You only “Need” the RC flight controller. It has RTH button for the failsafe purpose and controller will fly craft without app,
LOL..second paragraph of my post :)

I totally agree with both posts above about ever changing custom setups on devices, my solution was dedicated device, stripped of bloatware running pure android (Nexus 7) btw. brighter than M5, only Achilles heel of older devices is micro-USB connector which is chronically prone to disconnections, I simply replaced one for the new and use Anker cable - result is rock solid performance for DJIGo and Litchi . As the backup LGV20, same thing - stripped of bloatware, no auto-updates or auto-connect, making sure that when in flight only flight software is running - simple. For Apple products reported being more reliable it might be just better (lightning) connection.
USB-C is resolving that for Androids.
Agree USB-C is a major improvement in connectivity... and performance. The lighting connector was a major improvement for Apple, although their iPad Pro are now USB-C.

I don’t see the benefit of Anker brand over any “Quality” brand for micro-usb. They’re all made within the micro-usb specs. There is crap cables, but many good too.

I’ve never once had a micro-usb cable disconnect during flight operations. I use the cables with proper downward angle connectors, and not overly long to reduce weight in cable and snag mass.

LOL..second paragraph of my post :)

Why’s it different... flys the same, just lacking visual.
*** edit *** flying is the same, technically per FAA you’re watching the aircraft not the screen.

*** edit *** flying is the same, technically per FAA you’re watching the aircraft not the screen.
It's different in that you are lacking camera feedback. The drone is perfectly flyable with just the RC but it is "different" from a traditional setup where one connects a phone or tablet. That was why I was advocating the practice of flying with no tablet connected.

Hmm..no. it says the drone will remain within the RPIC visual line of sight (LOS), and that is defined as being able to see the drone with your unaided eye (excluding corrective lenses).

It doesn't say you have to watch the drone the entire time and never take your eye off of it. That would be counter intuitive since as an RPIC you are still obligated to look for other aircraft and obstacles.

Also, Visual Observers are useful

Hmm..no. it says the drone will remain within the RPIC visual line of sight (LOS), and that is defined as being able to see the drone with your unaided eye (excluding corrective lenses).

It doesn't say you have to watch the drone the entire time and never take your eye off of it. That would be counter intuitive since as an RPIC you are still obligated to look for other aircraft and obstacles.

Also, Visual Observers are useful

Correct if PIC & VO’s.
And most that use Mavic’s fly in team with VO’s or as Lone Ranger flyers? All the posts above have suggested Lone Ranger mode... and that technically means, eye on craft and surrounding sky... not watching video, reserve that for the camera operator.

Correct if PIC & VO’s.
And most that use Mavic’s fly in team with VO’s or as Lone Ranger flyers? All the posts above have suggested Lone Ranger mode... and that technically means, eye on craft and surrounding sky... not watching video, reserve that for the camera operator.
I'm sure its vague for a reason. A VO is not required, but it could be considered best practice.

Last edited:
I'm sure its vague for a reason

Not really vague, the FAA is more over in-depth challenging at times interpretations; but in this subject it’s more a case of not really being followed in Hobbyist or consumer market.

Regardless of PIC or VO’s.
If not performing autonomous flight missions dependent on tablet processing instructions... the flight isn’t different, the PIC isn’t using the screen to fly the aircraft, it’s visual.

Not really vague, the FAA is more over in-depth challenging at times interpretations; but in this subject it’s more a case of not really being followed in Hobbyist or consumer market.

Regardless of PIC or VO’s.
If not performing autonomous flight missions dependent on tablet processing instructions... the flight isn’t different, the PIC isn’t using the screen to fly the aircraft, it’s visual.
Well, we can agree to disagree in the interpretation. Hell people argue in contract law over a comma placement. The FAA knows that it's going to need to address BVLOS at some point, in fact, they are working on it now and is what remote ID is setting the infrastructure up to accommodate. Drone deliveries will happen and what we are debating will be a mute point.

Well, we can agree to disagree in the interpretation. **** people argue in contract law over a comma placement. The FAA knows that it's going to need to address BVLOS at some point, in fact, they are working on it now and is what remote ID is setting the infrastructure up to accommodate. Drone deliveries will happen and what we are debating will be a mute point.
On the subject we've been on, the discussion changed focus. To follow that track, not suggesting 100% eye's in sky... it is considered acceptable to glance... but not watch or be BVLOS and need video as many play with now... that doesn't have latitude, it's illegal and damages the image, perception and encourages additional regulations... which I'd rather not encourage.

On the new matter of BVLOS. If you read into the matter, you'll find that will never include consumer scale craft. Currently it's large scale managed by 135 (commercial pilot caliber). Most likely won't touch Prosumer Commercial scale either. The requirements are massive and have been functional in other countries. The price of the aircraft, control systems and maintenance requiremets are well beyond the small to medium scale business... and not even in range for individual to participate.

On the moot point, actually the requirements for hobbyist within proposed legislation threatens and reduces the ability to fly as current... with the addition of LEO gaining the ability to enforce, fine & arrest. Mainly targeted at the hobbyist. As large industry increases their presence in the field, the individual will be limited and receive less tolerance. The proposed new regulations for new version of PT107 will most likely push several out of the catagory.

The media has worked hard to paint the drone as evil and it's owners as in the wrong. The powers to be and politics are driving strong control. The new regulations over the short future years aren't going to be a benefit for the individual.

So I wouldn't be encouraging or anxious waiting for new regs & laws, they certainly won't benifit the little guy like us.

On the subject we've been on, the discussion changed focus. To follow that track, not suggesting 100% eye's in sky... it is considered acceptable to glance... but not watch or be BVLOS and need video as many play with now... that doesn't have latitude, it's illegal and damages the image, perception and encourages additional regulations... which I'd rather not encourage.

On the new matter of BVLOS. If you read into the matter, you'll find that will never include consumer scale craft. Currently it's large scale managed by 135 (commercial pilot caliber). Most likely won't touch Prosumer Commercial scale either. The requirements are massive and have been functional in other countries. The price of the aircraft, control systems and maintenance requiremets are well beyond the small to medium scale business... and not even in range for individual to participate.

On the moot point, actually the requirements for hobbyist within proposed legislation threatens and reduces the ability to fly as current... with the addition of LEO gaining the ability to enforce, fine & arrest. Mainly targeted at the hobbyist. As large industry increases their presence in the field, the individual will be limited and receive less tolerance. The proposed new regulations for new version of PT107 will most likely push several out of the catagory.

The media has worked hard to paint the drone as evil and it's owners as in the wrong. The powers to be and politics are driving strong control. The new regulations over the short future years aren't going to be a benefit for the individual.

So I wouldn't be encouraging or anxious waiting for new regs & laws, they certainly won't benifit the little guy like us.
Numbers aside, you could argue the same thing for private fixed wing pilots. Thousands of commercial aircraft fly in the midst of private pilots everyday. ..and if those collide, there will be a lot more lost than the Game of Thrones BlueRay box set someone ordered.

Granted, the number of drones and the fact that for the hobbyist, there is no school..just rules, I get that.

But I doubt they will lock up all the airspace and the companies like Amazon that are pushing for this , are not going to set up flight hubs in the middle of no where so Aunt edna can get her foot creme. These type of operations you mention are going to need to be in a place where the sales off set the cost. This means large cities.

Also, I would not want hobbyists flying BVLOS. It should be reserved for law enforcement, search and rescue, and business that can articulate why they need it. Not many law enforcement agencies or search and recuse operations can afford a $20,000 drone. Just like the average fixed wing pilot cant go out and buy a 2.5 million dollar Lear with all the advanced gadgets. There will be a middle point.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7