DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Outraged - Critical mid-flight DJI Go4 Crash

Of course - but why on earth would you use a trial and error system to try to bring it back when it has a perfectly robust automated method to return to the home point?

True.
It's possible a RTH into the sun could cause issues I guess, but you could just turn OA off then ?

It's never happened to me, but recent events I've seen will mean I take a whole lot more time testing different functions, especially the pre flight checks, find my drone, and probably a further short list of items to learn a bit more about to make things easier to deal with when flying.

Back to the big open park for a few flights and testing soon.

You can press RTH, if you've used it a bit in practice you will see it works pretty well.
When it gets close, either let it do its thing and land, or take over and fly last bit in manually to land . . . that will have some relation to your home point selection, if it's suitable for landing automatically, if precision landing was active (go straight up slowly 10m until it says enabled), or if you hand launched, etc.

The other way is to stop by pausing.
Look at your controller distance, fly forward a little, see if the distance goes up or down or neutral, adjust direction by yaw if it's going away or neutral.
Fly a little more forward, do the yaw adjustment until you can see it dropping well in metres (or feet) when going forward, fly forward and it won't be long until you hear / see it.
You also control altitude in the same way, keep it at safe elevation on the controller readout, but drop it as you fly back to suit possible obstacles and distance out.

Does the Mavic Air have a read out?

I'm still trying to figure out how his Galaxy Tablet had an internet connection? It feels like he flew too far away and lost connection. Then he panicked and did who knows what? Did he disconnect his tablet or turn off the controller? He kept talking as if the tablet was controlling his drone rather than the remote. I also like how he's mad at DJI...hahaha!

Does the Mavic Air have a read out?

True, forgot the OP had an Air, and they went to the plain controller with Spark and Air.
I guess you are totally dependent on using either RTH if controller is wtill connected, or if aircraft is totally on its own the auto RTH is set right.

I'm very nervous flying the Spark too far and compared to my MP . . . just don't like the wifi at all really.

True, forgot the OP had an Air, and they went to the plain controller with Spark and Air.
I guess you are totally dependent on using either RTH if controller is wtill connected, or if aircraft is totally on its own the auto RTH is set right.

I'm very nervous flying the Spark too far and compared to my MP . . . just don't like the wifi at all really.
Me too... treat my Spark as a “self drone”

Hey Bruce from the UK, this Bruce from sunny St. Augustine, Florida.

One of the things I learned very early in my Mavic Pro experience was the importance of a high-quality USB cable. The stock USB that came with my MP was giving me disconnect issues. I bought an Anker braided USB cable and that made a BIG improvement.

Also, another thing I did was followed the steps here: Install DJI GO on an Android Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide) | Phantom Help and this ALSO helped a great deal.

Of course - but why on earth would you use a trial and error system to try to bring it back when it has a perfectly robust automated method to return to the home point?
An irrational but latent fear with the newcomer that the last thing they did with their drone just before losing it, was give over their remaining power and control to a machine.
As i say, irrational and probably reserved for the nervous beginner.!

You can press RTH, if you've used it a bit in practice you will see it works pretty well.
When it gets close, either let it do its thing and land, or take over and fly last bit in manually to land . . . that will have some relation to your home point selection, if it's suitable for landing automatically, if precision landing was active (go straight up slowly 10m until it says enabled), or if you hand launched, etc.

The other way is to stop by pausing.
Look at your controller distance, fly forward a little, see if the distance goes up or down or neutral, adjust direction by yaw if it's going away or neutral.
Fly a little more forward, do the yaw adjustment until you can see it dropping well in metres (or feet) when going forward, fly forward and it won't be long until you hear / see it.
You also control altitude in the same way, keep it at safe elevation on the controller readout, but drop it as you fly back to suit possible obstacles and distance out.
I appreciate that...sometimes the logically obvious solution is the last to present in those moments of panic...

I appreciate that...sometimes the logically obvious solution is the last to present in those moments of panic...
Yep, I'm guessing panic myself. When you've been flying a long time and have dealt with drones that frequently lost GPS and became "kites", you learn to be calm.

Example.

Reactions: Dronage
Thanks so much for your comments.

I have researched and listened and thought.
1) my Mavic Air is safe and well
2) I have a new respect for the frailty of android apps and appreciate the work around with the controller still working - something I has not understood
3) RTH saved me. Thanks DJI.
4) I think the problem was to not have restarted my tablet before the flight. Lesson learned.
5) I had a great day flying today!

You can fly and land your MA from the controller without the app or tablet running. Just bring it back to you, throttle down, it will get to 0.5m above ground then auto land.

Okay, if you have by accident lost site of your drone then you might need to do an RTH, but then just land as above.

A useful tip, always make sure you tablet and all apps are up to date, stop everything apart from DJI Go from running and even put into flight safe mode. Especially useful if you use a phone, you don't want to take a call.

Reactions: Dronage
Also when taking off from a tricky spot like you describe. Make sure “precision landing(?)” is turned on. Sounds like you did. It has been my experience that the few times I have allowed any of my birds to auto land that it is incredibly accurate. I always hand catch peck ally if taking off from any lava. That dust is like sandpaper. On some commercial projects where I’ll be 1-2 hours and I have cones etc set up I’ll also use a landing pad. As I believe it takes a photo from x’ then matches it on returning.

? yeah it can be very disconcerting when the ap crashes. I feel your angst. Similar happened just after I got my I2... flying with a crystal sky. Calmly rebooted CS and ap (Litchi) then heard the familiar whap whap whap and she was overhead coming down for a landing... very disappointing only 2 miles out. Have faith in your equipment and DJI. And 1 always wait until you hear “home point has been.....” before taking off and 2- make sure your RTH altitude is sufficient to clear any obstacles. Aloha

Flying is serious business, it has been pointed out many times that proper preparation of equipment and pre-flight checks is imperative. Nothing else should be running on the tablet or the phone and good cable is a must. When Titanic starts sinking it is too late to learn how to swim...
Both android and apple are very reliable if you don't "choke them". And sort off been there when trying cut the corner and yes outraged on myself!

Reactions: SmileyGC
Glad you got it back safely.

With no app, phone nor tablet the controller works fine - as a dumbish controller.
RTH still works fine.
Then use stick for precise landing..
I have tested...

For info, Sar104 is correct, I use iPhone 7+ and have never had issues, except dimming screen when hot.
I used my Samsung (much cheaper) Phone once, but it wasn’t up to the job and lost signal at 10 feet and crashed repeatedly...
I am not putting a downer on you Samsung, but maybe it had other issues..
All the best

So is my Tab S2 up to the task or not? In other words was this an probably an unfortunate one off because I had not restarted the tablet before use.
you would think spending 300$ on a tablet that is 2 years old would get you a state of the art tablet. sadly the samsung 8" s-2 has issues. the problem i have with mine is when you plug in the usb from controler to tablet it flashes and does not connect. there are work arounds but on average it takes me about 10 miniuts to ge tthe table to see the bird. yes your tablet will work if you jump throught the hoops. after all the crap you go through to get the mavic to fly to have the tablet throw more problems is annoying at best. i am considering flashing lineage os and changing the operating system of the tablet to fix the problem but i have not tried it yet. and it could brick the tablet to try so if you are not familier wiht flashing new os i dotn recomend it. here is a video describing the flashing usb and work around. your not doing bad,,, i had my mavic 9 weeks before my first sucessful flight because of hardware config issues. keep at it the folks on here cna help you figure it out.

Glad you got it home, those few minutes can produce a little “pucker fear”. As suggested, if you do a few RTH operations, gain confidence, the anxiety & fear will minimize.

Revisit Yester-Year manual methods...
@Dronage and a few touched on craft orientation at distance. The RTH procedure is good if goal is home point. If wanting to stay down range, don’t waste batteries bringing craft closer than needed. This practice was used long before video transmission provided a FPV orientation view; which could easily orientate with the Sun or brightest sky in video to provide orientation.

If craft visible... and spotted in Sky; moving craft towards or away from You is impossible to see at distance and depletes battery experimenting.

The standard method to gain an understanding of craft orientation is to perform a few maneuvers to first obtain knowledge of current orientation & reposition orientation.
This and stick “timing” are rudimentary exercises to aircraft training movement. These used to be practiced with sUAV to gain fundamental flight experience before modern electronics simplified flight operations.

Obtain Distant flight orientation:
1) Remain calm and methodical in actions. 2) Perform a stick 90 or 270 (left or right) movement for a few seconds, did craft visually move sideways? 3) If not, stick rotate (yaw) craft 35-45 degrees (learn apx time & stick hold to turn for reference), 4) Perform a stick left or right again, most likely you should now see sideways movement, if not repeat steps 3 & 4. 5) If stick movement matches craft direction, perform smaller stick rotate (yaw) and repeat left or right. Once left or right movement appears to match stick movement you’ve oriented the craft. 6) If opposite direction, simply yaw 180. An alternate method for those finding stick timing for yaw difficult was perform a 90, if no sideways movement, move stick yaw 10-15 degrees 100-105 and check sideways movement, repeat with additional using 120-130 and check for sideways movement. Once sideways movement verified, now counter yaw the same degrees over 90 to correct orientation and reverify & fine tune if needed to obtain accurate orientation.

Practicing fundamental sUAV exercises near home base: stick timing, figure 8, square, cube, and orientation maneuvers helps in unexpected, compass, GPS failures and understanding rudimentary craft characteristics assists in confidence to maintain control. With increasing FAA requirements and possible certification tests, these fundamental skills may once again become required to exhibit.

If it is the case Androids are abysmal, what do people recommend as a cheap secondhand iphone tablet with a decent amount of screen real estate (9 or 10 inches) and brightness?

i am disappointed with DJI about this.....
Be sure to strengthen the weakest link by using an Ankar cable from Amazon. Very affordable and gives superior connectivity from your phone/tablet to your RC.

Reactions: Red Baron
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard