DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Outside the FAA window?

SkyTime 3

Reactions
I recently applied and was granted FAA approval to fly in controlled airspace, and successfully got the DJI geofence unlocked. This was my first time, and I only applied for a 30 minute window to fly in the airspace. Weather was an issue, and I ended up flying about 30 minutes outside the window I applied for.
1. Was that technically illegal? How much fudge factor am I allowed?
2. I applied for a short window thinking it would be an easier approval. Is that true?
3. Recommendations for the process the next time?
Thanks!

I would ask for two hours and if I get rejected then I'd try a shorter interval. This is all automated so you're not going to annoy a real human being.

1) Yes illegal, no fudge factor

2) Not so, give yourself a window of time to accomplish the task. You can cancel once you are finished.

3) Apply for a reasonable amount of time and take the maximum height the zone allows. Once you are done cancel the authorization if there is time remaining in the authorization.

Last edited:
@DoomMeister pretty much nailed it!!

Airspace Approvals/Authorizations are ABSOLUTE! That means absolute TIME, LOCATION, and ALTITUDE with no deviations unless it's to about some type of Emergency/Incident etc.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet