DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Over the "flying over water" fear today.

The first nice day we had in Seattle after I got my M2P I flew it 1 mile offshore over Puget Sound. My instagram video here. I was nervous, but in all my flights I have yet to have any kind of catastrophic malfunction. The footage I got was good enough for me to use on a bunch of projects so far. So glad I took the risk.

I actually prefer flying over water...

No trees or buildings to create obstacles
Nothing to block LOS or signal
Perfectly level surface below
Usually no people below
Predictable wind profile
Beautiful scenery

I just make sure Home Point is set and return when battery alarms at 30%. No worries.

Hi guys, I've been reading the forum for several months. I am a Mavic Pro driver and I wanted to be able to fly over and land on water. I built a sturdy bur inexpensive float set using dowels and foam. Tested cg in a bath tub and after getting it right did some test flights. I thought it might alter flight characteristics but really didnt notice a difference. So if I ditch over water at least I don't have to go diving. It works very well and is stable floating. Enjoy.IMG_20180908_171914.jpg

Hi guys, I've been reading the forum for several months. I am a Mavic Pro driver and I wanted to be able to fly over and land on water. I built a sturdy bur inexpensive float set using dowels and foam. Tested cg in a bath tub and after getting it right did some test flights. I thought it might alter flight characteristics but really didnt notice a difference. So if I ditch over water at least I don't have to go diving. It works very well and is stable floating. Enjoy.View attachment 59576
Do you have any Video's on how good these work? Tks. Chuck

Reactions: Former Member
Wow! Thank you for a great laugh this morning. I am guessing you are serious about the ditching component, but are you serious about landing on water?

I live in Hawaii right now and flying over water is just part of the program if you want capture the beauty of the islands. Here are some big waves I captured last week (1:56 to 2:07 is the best of the video) while legally flying within a quarter mile of an airport. In the shot you will see the results of my visual observer's advise, "UP, UP, UP!!!"

Water, cold, wind, and more challenges all need to be addressed for some of the more interesting shots IMHO.

Airport Big Waves

It's not perfect or pretty. But functional. I thought of it when my gf tried to drown scalloping. I thought I could run off the boat and drop a life jacket or something.

The drone flies funny over water at low altitude anyway. I've tried with sensors on and off. In gps mode really. Without sensors you can land without shutdown and motor around. But it will lift off without touching controller.

Made me chuckle that the music was reaching a crescendo as you finally left the security of the shoreline. I felt myself rooting for you

I think flying over the water is one of the most unique perspectives that we can gain. You can take a video camera on a boat, but you can't get altitude from the boat.

I guess I was too ill-informed (stupid) to realize there was risk in flying over water. I've been doing so from nearly day one. I live on the lake.

My limited understanding is that the risk is to confusion in the downward facing sensors, if the lake is too calm and we're flying to low over the water, the sensors get confused and can cause a crash...sadness.

If that's not the only risk, please don't tell me the others.

Reactions: bronze661
It is unpredictable but manageable with hands on controls. But the end result is good if you have floatation. Maybe. I feel it's a huge investment to waste in the water but my solution has worked well. I don't like the dowel in the cam straight down but it floats. And worse case it will upside down too. Lol really after reading all the posts, it's a risk to take off. Ya never know what you are going to get..sun flares. Magnetic anomolise. Acts of nature. Oh and firmware bs. Whatever. Just fly. Hope for the best.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Wow! Thank you for a great laugh this morning. I am guessing you are serious about the ditching component, but are you serious about landing on water?

I live in Hawaii right now and flying over water is just part of the program if you want capture the beauty of the islands. Here are some big waves I captured last week (1:56 to 2:07 is the best of the video) while legally flying within a quarter mile of an airport. In the shot you will see the results of my visual observer's advise, "UP, UP, UP!!!"

Water, cold, wind, and more challenges all need to be addressed for some of the more interesting shots IMHO.

Airport Big Waves
I don't think I would try this in the ocean. Maybe in a cove or a calm morning. I don't want to hang ten on a breaker

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HermanKrebbers