DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overexposed boat in full sun

mavicpro@2018

Reactions
I tried video filming and photographing my white boat in full sun. The result was totally overexposed, even with - exposure. The water looks good but the boat is totally faded. Intended to test active tracking, but see no sense of it before the settings are correct. How to solve it?

I tried video filming and photographing my white boat in full sun. The result was totally overexposed, even with - exposure. The water looks good but the boat is totally faded. Intended to test active tracking, but see no sense of it before the settings are correct. How to solve it?
If the majority of the scene is darker water and the white boat is only a small part of the image, the metering will expose for the whole scene, leaving the boat overexposed.
Try dialing in some exposure compensation.
Maybe -0.7 stops.

Try HDR. Some post processing will be unavoidable although the work can be simplified by using LUT

HDR isn't going to be a good solution if the boat was moving.
The OP seems to be referring to taking video. I have seen on youtube some footages with HDR turned on and the result is better than I have thought. It Not sure if this is true but I read from the internet that the quad-bayer sensor can take four different exposures of the picture in one single shot so the result is better than those of traditional bayer sensors. Here is the link : Quad Bayer sensors: what they are and what they are not

Last edited:

Was the exposure set to something good but you accidentally had the “white balance“ set to something wacky?

just a thought.

Was the exposure set to something good but you accidentally had the “white balance“ set to something wacky?
Obviously his exposure was for the scene as a whole, rather than the boat which was much brighter than its surrounds.
White balance has no affect on exposure, it affects colour.
If he complained that his image was too blue or too yellow, that would be a WB issue.

Obviously his exposure was for the scene as a whole, rather than the boat which was much brighter than its surrounds.
White balance has no affect on exposure, it affects colour.
If he complained that his image was too blue or too yellow, that would be a WB issue.

Obviously

Two examples with -0.3 ev
Like someone back in #5 suggested, -0.7 stops might be required.
I shoot ships and boats all the time.
I hate bright sunny days because the white parts and bow wave get blown out badly.
In those situations, I dial in -.03 or -0.7 stops exposure compensation and if the shoot is important I also use AEB bracketing to ensure I'll have one good exposure to choose from.

Like someone back in #5 suggested, -0.7 stops might be required.
I shoot ships and boats all the time.
I hate bright sunny days because the white parts and bow wave get blown out badly.
In those situations, I dial in -.03 or -0.7 stops exposure compensation and if the shoot is important I also use AEB bracketing to ensure I'll have one good exposure to choose from.
Ok, Can ND or Pol filters help?

Why do you think they build sets indoors to film movies with boats or ships. Pirates of the Caribbean in a hangar in the Mojave desert.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d