DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overheating vs NITS

Take a look at the specs on the Feelworld 2,200 NITS monitors and let me know what you think, with your years of screen experience. It would be interesting. These are designed for photography and Video monitoring use in the field, so the colour is expected to be very good quality.
I looked at the Feelworld 2200 nit FW279 monitor spec. If it is as bright as they claim then it should be visible in the brightest of sunlight. With a Rec 709 color gamut it is plenty good enough for our needs. The resolution of 300 dpi is plenty for our needs. IPS (in plane switching) LCDs have the nice 160 degree viewing with no substantial color shift but may be a bit compromised at the highest temperatures. I see nothing in the spec stating the operating temperature range.

The biggest, deal- killer, issue that I see is that it is just a monitor and not an Android device, so the input is only HDMI. I wonder how you would hook this up to your drone. I tried, unsuccessfully, to use other tablets that were not fully Android capable (so called forked Android) and had trouble even side loading the app. This isn't any kind of Android device, just a video monitor.

FEELWORLD FW279 7 Inch 2200nit Ultra Bright​

I looked at the Feelworld 2200 nit FW279 monitor spec. If it is as bright as they claim then it should be visible in the brightest of sunlight. With a Rec 709 color gamut it is plenty good enough for our needs. The resolution of 300 dpi is plenty for our needs. IPS (in plane switching) LCDs have the nice 160 degree viewing with no substantial color shift but may be a bit compromised at the highest temperatures. I see nothing in the spec stating the operating temperature range.

The biggest, deal- killer, issue that I see is that it is just a monitor and not an Android device, so the input is only HDMI. I wonder how you would hook this up to your drone. I tried, unsuccessfully, to use other tablets that were not fully Android capable (so called forked Android) and had trouble even side loading the app. This isn't any kind of Android device, just a video monitor.

FEELWORLD FW279 7 Inch 2200nit Ultra Bright​

Precisely, that's why I called it a monitor and not a tablet. If you have the SC then you simply connect the monitor via the HDMI ports on the monitor and the controller. There is no software to be loaded, it just shows you a larger and bright screen than what the SC shows, plus you can choose between a duplicate view of your SC screen or to show just what the camera sees. If they are honest, most people want a larger screen that is bright, to view what they are seeing and filming, rather than have a computer to play with while filming and flying.

Most don't really care about the screen also being a tablet, that is why I suggested this monitor screen. I have never had a problem with temp range when using it. It does not seem to suffer the over heating problem that CS and iPads do. If you have to have a tablet type unit, then this is not for you. However, if you just want to see a larger and brighter screen to see what you are filming, then this is the best and lowest price plus brightest option out there. Thanks for your opinion on the monitor.

So I recently purchased a "new to me" Air 2S and have been doing a lot of reading about using a tablet and the fly app together. I only own Android devices but I'm not against trying iOS. From what I've read, it appears that some iOS devices seem to have issues with overheating in the sunlight depending on temperature but I don't recall reading where Android has that issue unless I've just missed that. Also there are many iOS tablets that have higher NITS than Android. Most Mini, iPod and iPod Air have about 500 and Pro has 600 while the new 12.9" has 1000 but that's a huge tablet. I also know about the Tab Active 3 listed at 700 and Tripltek has1200. The current phone I am using has a 6.8" screen. Good size for a phone but I would still like something larger. The Tab Active 3, Tripltek and even the DJI RC are not worth the money to me as they are not much larger than my phone. I have never tried using a tablet in the sun with or without a sun hood so I have no idea how well that would work. I also have no idea how much difference 450 NITS has vs 600 NITS in the real world. I don't know if I should risk getting the iOS with possible overheating issues or getting an Android that doesn't get as bright. It appears DJI prefers iOS over Android based on their approved tablets list but I am hoping to get a little insight from those that have real life experience using tablets. My eyes are not what they used to be and I believe something larger would be beneficial. Appreciate any input. Thanks
I have flown with an old cheap iPad 9 1/2 inches (voted to my Air 12 and Mini 2) and I can assure you that it does, indeed, heat up. I live in Miami (where the car and sun are always hot). I try to always fly from under the shade if possible (I am a stealth flyer). I bought the cheapest iPad I could find and it. works fine for me.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Appreciate all the input. I ended up getting a used iPad Air 4 in excellent condition for a great price. Still need to get a tablet holder and longer cord to attach to the controller. Can't wait to try it out.

Hey Everyone, newbie drone pilot down here in Central Texas. What a great forum with so much good info. Been lurking, reading, and learning up until now. I have the Mini 2 with RC-N1 Controller and iPhone 13 Pro.

I definitely have a problem with the iPhone screen going dim about 5 minutes into flight. I've checked all the settings. Has nothing to do with that. It is a heating, sunlight issue. Even after going dim I can walk it to the shade and still can't see it very well. I have ordered a hood for the iPhone. We'll see how that works.

My question is does the Samsung Galaxy 10 have the same dimming issue as the Iphone? From what I have read, it will not dim in sunlight or heat. Does anyone have first hand experience with this?

I'm reluctant to try another Apple product, Ipad or otherwise. I have to believe the same heating/dimming issue will exist.

Any input or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone, newbie drone pilot down here in Central Texas. What a great forum with so much good info. Been lurking, reading, and learning up until now. I have the Mini 2 with RC-N1 Controller and iPhone 13 Pro.

I definitely have a problem with the iPhone screen going dim about 5 minutes into flight. I've checked all the settings. Has nothing to do with that. It is a heating, sunlight issue. Even after going dim I can walk it to the shade and still can't see it very well. I have ordered a hood for the iPhone. We'll see how that works.

My question is does the Samsung Galaxy 10 have the same dimming issue as the Iphone? From what I have read, it will not dim in sunlight or heat. Does anyone have first hand experience with this?

I'm reluctant to try another Apple product, Ipad or otherwise. I have to believe the same heating/dimming issue will exist.

Any input or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The only devices will not dim are the Tripltek tablets. They are the brightest of all and they will never dim under any conditions. All the others smartphones including the Samsung phones will last the same than the iphones , between 3 and 5 minutes.

Reactions: 3putt
All the others smartphones including the Samsung phones will last the same than the iphones , between 3 and 5 minutes.
Funny you should say that about Samsung phones lasting only 3 to 5 minutes. I've been flying DJI drones, sometimes 3-4 batteries in one session, with various Samsung Galaxy phones since 2017 and have never experienced dimming or overheating issues.

Anyone seeking the best viewing experience with any device, no matter how few nits it has, should look into getting, or making, a true (4 sided) HOOD, not a three-sided sunscreen.

The only devices will not dim are the Tripltek tablets. They are the brightest of all and they will never dim under any conditions. All the others smartphones including the Samsung phones will last the same than the iphones , between 3 and 5 minutes.
I agree that the TripleTek tablets are the brightest available and won’t overheat, but they are still not bright enough. Mine measures 900 nits and not the 1200 advertised by TriplTek. I believe for full sunlight I need 2500 nits of luminance.

Reactions: Mavikhan
I've been flying DJI drones, sometimes 3-4 batteries in one session, with various Samsung Galaxy phones since 2017 and have never experienced dimming or overheating issues.
I've also heard this from Samsung owners. It seems the older Galaxy S8's, 9's, and 10's do not have the dimming issues, however, the newer Galaxy 20 series seem to. The newer processers and batteries probably came in bigger, faster, and hotter and Samsung had to implement some method of cooling them down...no doubt by dimming the screen.

The older models are from $100 to $200 on backmarket.com with a 30 day return policy. It's only purpose would be for my RC. Nothing else. I've got an iPhone for all communications and Internet. I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

The older Galaxy series phones are what I use. The venerable S7 will even run the Fly app. The last one I recently bought, through eBay, cost $80 and is in like new condition.

I've also heard this from Samsung owners. It seems the older Galaxy S8's, 9's, and 10's do not have the dimming issues, however, the newer Galaxy 20 series seem to. The newer processers and batteries probably came in bigger, faster, and hotter and Samsung had to implement some method of cooling them down...no doubt by dimming the screen.

The older models are from $100 to $200 on backmarket.com with a 30 day return policy. It's only purpose would be for my RC. Nothing else. I've got an iPhone for all communications and Internet. I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
I'm using an old Samsung Galaxy S20 that has about 800+ NITS and I don't have any issues. Since it's my dedicated phone for drones, I did a factory reset and only installed a few apps, i.e. DJI Fly and AZ Screen Recorder and I turn off WIFI since I don't need it when I'm flying around. I only turn WIFI once in a while to do firmware updates. I do have adaptive turned on so when I'm in the sun it makes it extra bright so I can see. I can go through 3 batteries, one after the other and my phone doesn't overheat in the hot summer in Houston.

Reactions: 3putt
Personally I use the iPad mini 6 for my drones. I find that I get a great picture of it. Granted the nits on it are lower at I believe around 500 nits, I have never had overheating issues with it. I also use my iPhone 14 Pro Max and the max nits on that gets up to 2000 nits and that does amazing in bright days. Again I have not had any issues with overheating with this as well. The only problem I have had is the interface with the iPad mini 6 and Phantom 4 Pro ver 1, it does not work. For whatever reason this has been a ongoing issue.

So I recently purchased a "new to me" Air 2S and have been doing a lot of reading about using a tablet and the fly app together. I only own Android devices but I'm not against trying iOS. From what I've read, it appears that some iOS devices seem to have issues with overheating in the sunlight depending on temperature but I don't recall reading where Android has that issue unless I've just missed that. Also there are many iOS tablets that have higher NITS than Android. Most Mini, iPod and iPod Air have about 500 and Pro has 600 while the new 12.9" has 1000 but that's a huge tablet. I also know about the Tab Active 3 listed at 700 and Tripltek has1200. The current phone I am using has a 6.8" screen. Good size for a phone but I would still like something larger. The Tab Active 3, Tripltek and even the DJI RC are not worth the money to me as they are not much larger than my phone. I have never tried using a tablet in the sun with or without a sun hood so I have no idea how well that would work. I also have no idea how much difference 450 NITS has vs 600 NITS in the real world. I don't know if I should risk getting the iOS with possible overheating issues or getting an Android that doesn't get as bright. It appears DJI prefers iOS over Android based on their approved tablets list but I am hoping to get a little insight from those that have real life experience using tablets. My eyes are not what they used to be and I believe something larger would be beneficial. Appreciate any input. Thanks
Try Eagle View Aerials V71 Pro 2600 Nits Virtually indestructible and doesn't overheat. Android 11 Screen 7.5" visit www.eagleviewaerials.com

I would like to measure the luminance for this myself if I could get my hands on one for a week. Specs are not always what these manufacturers claim.

I would like to measure the luminance for this myself if I could get my hands on one for a week. Specs are not always what these manufacturers claim.
Where are you located? As a seller I don't have the equipment to measure it but when you turn it on I'd suggest sunglasses........lol. I think I have a video showing them testing it and if I can locate it I'll post it for you.

San Jose. CA

I have been in the electronic display industry for >50 years. I have a friend nearby who has a profession display metrology lab. I am sure that I could could convince him to measure this for us and I would post the results.

San Jose. CA

I have been in the electronic display industry for >50 years. I have a friend nearby who has a profession display metrology lab. I am
sure that I could could convince him to measure this for us and I would post the results.
Is he near me or you? I would love to have it tested if I could oversee the testing. I'm not a professional at that sort of thing I just use it for flying.

Is he near me or you? I would love to have it tested if I could oversee the testing. I'm not a professional at that sort of thing I just use it for flying.
Let’s see if someone in the Bay Area posts that they have one. I wouldn’t want you to ship it from PA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas