DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overheating vs NITS

JCapps

Reactions
So I recently purchased a "new to me" Air 2S and have been doing a lot of reading about using a tablet and the fly app together. I only own Android devices but I'm not against trying iOS. From what I've read, it appears that some iOS devices seem to have issues with overheating in the sunlight depending on temperature but I don't recall reading where Android has that issue unless I've just missed that. Also there are many iOS tablets that have higher NITS than Android. Most Mini, iPod and iPod Air have about 500 and Pro has 600 while the new 12.9" has 1000 but that's a huge tablet. I also know about the Tab Active 3 listed at 700 and Tripltek has1200. The current phone I am using has a 6.8" screen. Good size for a phone but I would still like something larger. The Tab Active 3, Tripltek and even the DJI RC are not worth the money to me as they are not much larger than my phone. I have never tried using a tablet in the sun with or without a sun hood so I have no idea how well that would work. I also have no idea how much difference 450 NITS has vs 600 NITS in the real world. I don't know if I should risk getting the iOS with possible overheating issues or getting an Android that doesn't get as bright. It appears DJI prefers iOS over Android based on their approved tablets list but I am hoping to get a little insight from those that have real life experience using tablets. My eyes are not what they used to be and I believe something larger would be beneficial. Appreciate any input. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Octavio and Gagey52
So I recently purchased a "new to me" Air 2S and have been doing a lot of reading about using a tablet and the fly app together. I only own Android devices but I'm not against trying IOS. From what I've read, it appears that some IOS devices seem to have issues with overheating in the sunlight depending on temperature but I don't recall reading where Android has that issue unless I've just missed that. Also there are many IOS tablets that have higher NITS than Android. Most Mini, iPod and iPod Air have about 500 and Pro has 600 while the new 12.9" has 1000 but that's a huge tablet. I also know about the Tab Active 3 listed at 700 and Tripltek has1200. The current phone I am using has a 6.8" screen. Good size for a phone but I would still like something larger. The Tab Active 3, Tripltek and even the DJI RC are not worth the money to me as they are not much larger than my phone. I have never tried using a tablet in the sun with or without a sun hood so I have no idea how well that would work. I also have no idea how much difference 450 NITS has vs 600 NITS in the real world. I don't know if I should risk getting the IOS with possible overheating issues or getting an Android that doesn't get as bright. It appears DJI prefers IOS over Android based on their approved tablets list but I am hoping to get a little insight from those that have real life experience using tablets. My eyes are not what they used to be and I believe something larger would be beneficial. Appreciate any input. Thanks
Here in central Oregon, it can get up to 105 degrees and better in the summer. I have used my iPhone and an iPad mini, now mini 6, and never had that over heat problem. I did try using the regular ipad 10" but its so lopsidedly heavy on the controller the I went back to the smaller size. Flying midday, you really can't see a screen all that well even with the brightness turned way up no matter what tablet you are using. I use a sun shade which may keep the tablet from getting full sun. Most of the time I fly in mornings or just before sunset, so full sun isn't much of a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I recently purchased a "new to me" Air 2S and have been doing a lot of reading about using a tablet and the fly app together. I only own Android devices but I'm not against trying IOS. From what I've read, it appears that some IOS devices seem to have issues with overheating in the sunlight depending on temperature but I don't recall reading where Android has that issue unless I've just missed that. Also there are many IOS tablets that have higher NITS than Android. Most Mini, iPod and iPod Air have about 500 and Pro has 600 while the new 12.9" has 1000 but that's a huge tablet. I also know about the Tab Active 3 listed at 700 and Tripltek has1200. The current phone I am using has a 6.8" screen. Good size for a phone but I would still like something larger. The Tab Active 3, Tripltek and even the DJI RC are not worth the money to me as they are not much larger than my phone. I have never tried using a tablet in the sun with or without a sun hood so I have no idea how well that would work. I also have no idea how much difference 450 NITS has vs 600 NITS in the real world. I don't know if I should risk getting the IOS with possible overheating issues or getting an Android that doesn't get as bright. It appears DJI prefers IOS over Android based on their approved tablets list but I am hoping to get a little insight from those that have real life experience using tablets. My eyes are not what they used to be and I believe something larger would be beneficial. Appreciate any input. Thanks
I can't answer all your questions, but about the overheating issue on iOS, I have the iPad Pro 11" version, and I like it a lot. However, it does have an overheating issue when in direct sunlight, which isn't an issue for me as I don't stand in the sun anyway (it's simply too hot in Florida for that). However, depending on where you live (and your heat toleration I guess), that might be an issue for you. So I guess it really depends on what you prefer.

Of all of the iOS I have looked at online, I also like the iPad Pro 11". I think the 12.9" would be too large and the mini may not be large enough for my liking. I live north of Atlanta in Georgia so it gets hot here as well and I have family in Florida about an 90 min south of you so I know what you mean about the heat. I have only had my drone for a little over a month so I have no experience using it in the heat but I have a pretty good tolerance for it. There is an electronics store near where I work and I may go by and see how I may like the different size tablets to help narrow things down. I appreciate your input.

Last edited:
I use the @TRIPLTEK Pro v8 for my entire fleet which consists of three DJI versions, Autel, and Skydio. Not only is it the brightest tablet on the market, but you can also use it with all your drones and it never over-heats. Great tablet!

Of all of the iOS I have looked at online, I also like the iPad Pro 11". I think the 12.9" would be too large and the mini may not be large enough for my liking. I live north of Atlanta in Georgia so it gets hot here as well and I have family in Florida about an 90 min south of you so I know what you mean about the heat. I have only had my drone for a little over a month so I have no experience using it in the heat but I have a pretty good tolerance for it. There is an electronics store near where I work and I may go by and see how I may like the different size tablets to help narrow things down. I appreciate your input.
The display aspect ratio between a tablet and a phone is very different, Here you can see a Iphone 13 with 6.1 inches and a Tripltek 8 with 8 inches. Image 2023-02-12 at 8.23.08 PM.jpeg

Here in central Oregon, it can get up to 105 degrees and better in the summer. I have used my iPhone and an iPad mini, now mini 6, and never had that over heat problem. I did try using the regular ipad 10" but its so lopsidedly heavy on the controller the I went back to the smaller size. Flying midday, you really can't see a screen all that well even with the brightness turned way up no matter what tablet you are using. I use a sun shade which may keep the tablet from getting full sun. Most of the time I fly in mornings or just before sunset, so full sun isn't much of a problem.
Good info, The Mini is also on my radar as a possible iOS choice. Thanks

The display aspect ratio between a tablet and a phone is very different, Here you can see a Iphone 13 with 6.1 inches and a Tripltek 8 with 8 inches. View attachment 160506
I knew there was a ratio difference but didn't realize it was that much different. Definitely gives me something to think about. Just what I needed...more confusion lol. Appreciate the picture comparing the two.

So I recently purchased a "new to me" Air 2S and have been doing a lot of reading about using a tablet and the fly app together. I only own Android devices but I'm not against trying iOS. From what I've read, it appears that some iOS devices seem to have issues with overheating in the sunlight depending on temperature but I don't recall reading where Android has that issue unless I've just missed that. Also there are many iOS tablets that have higher NITS than Android. Most Mini, iPod and iPod Air have about 500 and Pro has 600 while the new 12.9" has 1000 but that's a huge tablet. I also know about the Tab Active 3 listed at 700 and Tripltek has1200. The current phone I am using has a 6.8" screen. Good size for a phone but I would still like something larger. The Tab Active 3, Tripltek and even the DJI RC are not worth the money to me as they are not much larger than my phone. I have never tried using a tablet in the sun with or without a sun hood so I have no idea how well that would work. I also have no idea how much difference 450 NITS has vs 600 NITS in the real world. I don't know if I should risk getting the iOS with possible overheating issues or getting an Android that doesn't get as bright. It appears DJI prefers iOS over Android based on their approved tablets list but I am hoping to get a little insight from those that have real life experience using tablets. My eyes are not what they used to be and I believe something larger would be beneficial. Appreciate any input. Thanks
I have used the iPad mini from flying with my early Phantoms, I currently fly 5 DJI drones 4 always with the current iPad mini of the time and have never experienced overheating, but I live in South Wales U.K. very rarely do we experience extreme heat , cheers Len

I use the 11” Pro iPad and haven’t experienced overheating. I like the larger screen and rarely stand in direct sun or fly in the middle of the day (it’s a photographer thing). As many before have said, it’s a matter of personal choice.

Yes, not all Android Phones are good in the sun. I too had the same issue with the Sun with my previous Android and decided to upgrade it instead of getting an RC. I managed to find a reasonably good android with 1300 NITS.
I have had a couple of flights with it but the weather has been overcast for a few months now, so I can’t tell at this stage.

Reactions: borzoiboy
You may require ios if you plan to use 3rd party sw, like dronelink, maven etc
Those are non-functional on Android devices?

You may require ios if you plan to use 3rd party sw, like dronelink, maven etc
All 3rd party apps work on the Tripltek table (Android)

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and I bought the Smart Controller for it. You can get used ones at a reasonable price now. That screen is 1,000Nits and, by the way, is an android device, from DJI!!!

I added a large monitor to this system because it has an HDMI out. I bought the 7 inch Feelworld monitor, which has an HDMI in port. The Feelworld is the 2,200 NITS model and is amazingly bright in sunlight, compared to anything else. It is light weight, low priced, around $235 new, but I bought mine for $177 off ebay as an open box. I use the DJI SC for all my flying data and choose the Feelworld monitor to show only my camera view. With that said, you can also just have it duplicate your SC screen, if you wish.

It is light weight, very bright and just the right size, without it being too large. They now make a touch screen version and a larger screen version if you need an even bigger screen. You might just want to take a look at this option for your Air2S because you could pick up a used SC and save on all the fiddly connections and cable to be careful of, that there are with a standard controller and a phone, plus having to be sure two different things are charged up etc. It is so much more convenient and when it gets very bright, then you attach your Feelworld monitor, which does not suffer from overheating.

I bought a 3D printed connection mount off ebay for $44 which fits the SC and allows the monitor to be held in place above the SC, which makes for easy reading of both screens. Plus, it is a nice balance of the control system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hauptmann
I've used a variety of display devices. Just turn back to the sun for most flights. The clarity of display (NITS) hasn't been a problem. Some apps for flight planning are only iOS so that may impact decision. I also agree with others that iPad mini is better in-hand balance weight.

I use a Ipad with 10 inch screen for all my DJI aircrafts and have never had any over heating issues, But I also have a sunshade that I use with it.

I own the TriplTek Pro8 because I wanted the large area and 1200 nits of luminance, but found that my unit only measures 900 nits. I posted about this recently as post #7 on this string:

I have worked in the electronic display industry for more than 50 yrs. People in this industry designing AR glasses are setting their target at 2500 nits for visibility in the brightest of ambients. While the 900 nits of my TriplTek 8 Pro is good, it is not ideal. The human vision system is logarithmic in response so small increases in luminance aren't apparent.

Here is what is good about my TipleTek 8 Pro:
1. It is far brighter than an Apple tablet.
2. It has a sufficient viewing area to make touch input easier.
3. The color gamut is quite acceptable.
4. It is very rugged.
5. The HW works smoothly and runs DJI Fly app well.
6. Unlike my friends CrystalSky, it never seems to overheat and ran well for me at 20F and could likely work in much colder weather than I can.
7. It has terrific battery life even at max brightness.

Here is what I don't like about it:
1. It is very heavy and consequently makes the assembly with the RC-N1 clumsy even with a lanyard.
2. It falls short of the advertised luminance.
3. It needs an AR/AF coverglass, not the cheap plastic AG cover they provide.

While the diagonal size is much smaller the new iPhone 14 is spec'd to run at 1200 nits. I have had assurances from people I trust in Apple's engineering team that it meets that spec. Running an OLED screen at that luminance puts a strain on the lifetime of OLED (especially for blue), but the usage model for drones means it would not be a big factor. All of the Galaxy phones and all of the new Apple phones are OLED technology, which has no reflective display capability like an LCD, but Apple left LCD behind after the 10R.

IMHO there is no display for our drones that is suitable for all conditions. We will need to make one compromise, or another based upon what is most important to us.

Reactions: IFlied
I own the TriplTek Pro8 because I wanted the large area and 1200 nits of luminance, but found that my unit only measures 900 nits. I posted about this recently as post #7 on this string:

I have worked in the electronic display industry for more than 50 yrs. People in this industry designing AR glasses are setting their target at 2500 nits for visibility in the brightest of ambients. While the 900 nits of my TriplTek 8 Pro is good, it is not ideal. The human vision system is logarithmic in response so small increases in luminance aren't apparent.

Here is what is good about my TipleTek 8 Pro:
1. It is far brighter than an Apple tablet.
2. It has a sufficient viewing area to make touch input easier.
3. The color gamut is quite acceptable.
4. It is very rugged.
5. The HW works smoothly and runs DJI Fly app well.
6. Unlike my friends CrystalSky, it never seems to overheat and ran well for me at 20F and could likely work in much colder weather than I can.
7. It has terrific battery life even at max brightness.

Here is what I don't like about it:
1. It is very heavy and consequently makes the assembly with the RC-N1 clumsy even with a lanyard.
2. It falls short of the advertised luminance.
3. It needs an AR/AF coverglass, not the cheap plastic AG cover they provide.

While the diagonal size is much smaller the new iPhone 14 is spec'd to run at 1200 nits. I have had assurances from people I trust in Apple's engineering team that it meets that spec. Running an OLED screen at that luminance puts a strain on the lifetime of OLED (especially for blue), but the usage model for drones means it would not be a big factor. All of the Galaxy phones and all of the new Apple phones are OLED technology, which has no reflective display capability like an LCD, but Apple left LCD behind after the 10R.

IMHO there is no display for our drones that is suitable for all conditions. We will need to make one compromise, or another based upon what is most important to us.
Take a look at the specs on the Feelworld 2,200 NITS monitors and let me know what you think, with your years of screen experience. It would be interesting. These are designed for photography and Video monitoring use in the field, so the colour is expected to be very good quality.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne