DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overweight penalty?

In my classes and demonstrations I always tell people (in the U.S.) to register your drone. Even if it's only used for Recreational Flights, and under 250g. My reasons are two fold.

First, like above, if you end up over 250g by adding something, you're still legal.

But mainly I suggest people do because it's only $5, and if you are ever contacted by law enforcement, they expect to see a registration number. The <250g rule isn't always known by them. It's just not worth trying to explain it do them. Just register it and call it happy.

And if this isn't your first drone, then you should already have a registration number for your drones. So just put it on there. Make your life easier.

Reactions: SWTSU and brett8883
No one. Absolutely nothing would happen.
Sorry it took so long to answer your question

Sadly, this is another example of “its only illegal if you get caught”. If you get a fly-away or the drone crashes somewhere because it’s too windy for RTH and causes some damage, you could be liable not only for the damage caused but also possibly fined for not being registered when >250g. Is that really worth it for the sake of $5?

The reality is 'they' are not going to catch you unless you do something else wrong or in the wrong place at the wrong time... then that added violation would be added to what ever else they are going to get you for. The more items on the list of charges the more likely you are to be convicted and etc.... that is how the criminal prosecution legal system here in the U.S. works....

The reality is 'they' are not going to catch you unless you do something else wrong or in the wrong place at the wrong time... then that added violation would be added to what ever else they are going to get you for. The more items on the list of charges the more likely you are to be convicted and etc.... that is how the criminal prosecution legal system here in the U.S. works....
In Italy penalty is 2 years jail and 500€ fine...

What would happen if somebody in the U.S. had a 249-gram drone and wanted to attach a small accessory that would add a couple of grams? Technically, a drone over 249g is supposed to get registered. What if they didn't register it? Is there a Drone Police that drives around with a gram scale in their trunk who would write you up a ticket on the spot? Would you get fined for every gram over 249? ?
In my humble opinion, i flew many toy plastic drones, likely to loose control and cause little damage. Now when in charge of something more dangerous I always err on the side of caution. Pay the small fee and enjoy flying without the worry ?

Reactions: maelstrom
I don’t know about anyone else but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I follow all the rules and still get my shots. These days the more challenging the rules and fights are the better. Simple flights in class G airspace get boring after awhile :)

stay safe!!

As everybody has pointed out, $5 registration fee is a small price to pay for peace of mind while flying your drone. Every business has a marketing department, and their job is to sell their product by pushing the envelope on what they can do and say. As a consumer, we have a choice to buy or not.

I don"t think that policemen or judges have time and interest to argue about a little drone which weight is a few grams above 250: we have a lot of more serious cases to deal with.
The real danger can be your insurance: if is proved that you violate regulations and you are responsible for any damage, you pay instead of your insuarance.
Causing damage to a person can make you paying the rest of your life....

Suppose I register my drone, get a registration number and then crash the drone. Can I transfer the same number to a new drone without paying another $5?

You register yourself and not the drone. So the number you get can be placed on any number of drones you fly so if found somewhere they know it belongs to you.

I understand that. But what if one added something, ie: the propeller guards, what would happen to them? Who would know besides the person flying it?

It's the same as any crime...just like you can drive 100 mph or steal something from a store, and if you don't get caught you are lucky. But that doest make what you just did, OK.

Typically nothing would happen to you unless you drew attention to yourself...flying near people or crashing into an animal sanctuary, etc.

We are all supposed to respect the law...if you don't, you risk fines/jail, and give drone pilots a bad name.

I’m seriously bemused here! You pay at least $400 for your drone and then argue about paying an extra $5 to guarantee it’s always legal - really?
I'm seriously bemused that you are "seriously bemused!" I never argued about paying $5 to register my drone. In fact, I did register my previous drone -- now crashed -- but have transferred its FAA registration number to my new drone, so I've always been covered. My original post was simply a "What ... if?" I'm just curious about how strictly drone rules are enforced by local law enforcement officials. That is all. No attempt to save $5 here! ?

The Mavic Mini doesn’t get you much here in the US as far as regulations. It’s in places like Canada that it can make a huge difference.
How so?

In Canada you do not have to register a drone under 250 grams. You also do not need a Transport Canada license to fly a drone under 250 grams.

The Transport Canada exam for even the Basic License is hard with a number of questions not relevant to flying a drone.

The only laws that apply to flying a drone under 250:grams in Canada are to fly safely and not invade anyone’s privacy.

Interestingly, DJI “fences” the MM from flying the same distance from airports and heliports as the heavier drones, even though the Transport Canada Regs do not apply.

In Canada you do not have to register a drone under 250 grams. You also do not need a Transport Canada license to fly a drone under 250 grams.

The Transport Canada exam for even the Basic License is hard with a number of questions not relevant to flying a drone.

The only laws that apply to flying a drone under 250:grams in Canada are to fly safely and not invade anyone’s privacy.

Interestingly, DJI “fences” the MM from flying the same distance from airports and heliports as the heavier drones, even though the Transport Canada Regs do not apply.
Think I might possibly know all of that?

The OP was talking about a situation where they add prop guards, decal, landing legs or some other attachment that takes the drone to 250g.

Think I might possibly know all of that?

The OP was talking about a situation where they add prop guards, decal, landing legs or some other attachment that takes the drone to 250g.
You must have misunderstood what I meant because what @Kbviper said was exactly what I was referring to.

In the US being under 250 grams just means at most you save a $5 registration fee if only flying for recreation. In Canada it means you get out of a whole bunch of other stuff. So maybe in Canada it is worth trying to get away with a couple extra grams but not in the US it’s just not worth risking getting a ticket to save only $5 No matter how unlikely it is

Reactions: Kbviper
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive