DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Owned my drone 4 weeks. Flew it once xD

Agent O J

Reactions
Kind of silly of me now i realise.... but i took good advice and downloaded UAV Forecast and for the past 4 week i have only had 1 day where the wind was calm enough to put it in the air. All those videos of fly aways got me scared man. £450 spent and 1 20 minute flight in a month haha **** the british weather dude

welcome to the forum

Reactions: Agent O J
Kind of silly of me now i realise.... but i took good advice and downloaded UAV Forecast and for the past 4 week i have only had 1 day where the wind was calm enough to put it in the air. All those videos of fly aways got me scared man. £450 spent and 1 20 minute flight in a month haha **** the british weather dude
its part of drone flying in the UK, i haven't flown for the last three weeks but Thursday this week is looking hopeful at the moment where i live its worse if you have to work all week and then the weekends are no go, it will get better when the clocks change will be able to get some evening flying in then

I got my Mavic Mini delivered 5 days ago. The only time UAV forecast told me that it was good to fly was 2 nights ago when I was at work and my drone was at home...... Gotta love the high winds!
even if UAV forecast says its good to fly still make sure its ok where you are its not actually a forecast of where you are but is based on lots of different info its like the weather forecast more a prediction of what it could be like, and don't forget the conditions can change during a flight ,not trying to put you off flying your drone ,just passing on things that i have learnt in the time i have been flying

even if UAV forecast says its good to fly still make sure its ok where you are its not actually a forecast of where you are but is based on lots of different info its like the weather forecast more a prediction of what it could be like, and don't forget the conditions can change during a flight ,not trying to put you off flying your drone ,just passing on things that i have learnt in the time i have been flying
Yeah never really paid much attention to wind speed before purchasing the Mini, now i know the wind speed every day just about lol I'm sure once i've had a full summers worth of flying i won't be too bothered during the winter months.

Reactions: old man mavic
I've done a lot of sailing over the years and have learned to read the weather rather than trust an app. I'd never rely on UAV alone, nothing beats licking a finger and sticking it above my head to get an accurate weather forecast... :)

I haven't flown for about six weeks. It's a nice sunny day here in Yorkshire, and UAV forecast says 'safe to fly' - but, I've just walked the dogs, and it definitely isn't. The gusts are pretty strong.

I use the app as a reference to anticipate wind conditions when wandering from home, but the finger lick, treetop movement, wind against my back, flags waving are my go to methods onsite. I also carry an anemometer in my flight bag. So I am prepared to fly my MM or MA or stunt kites or bundle up, sit and enjoy a strong wind (in that order). Observing the surroundings, nature, is my best bet. Enjoy your safe flying.

Same here in Cornwall, 1 outdoor flight, the rest inside, however that one flight showed me just how good it will be when the weather improves.

Add in the restrictions of where you can and cannot fly and the whole concept of amateur drone use has very little cost v benefit logic

I’m a new pilot, but even I know to trust in my instincts as much as technology. I use UAV forecast set to 200ft to give me a 24hr prediction, but I still watch the tall trees on the next estate to my home. I’ve not flown for about four weeks but I’ll wait it out. Can’t afford to lose my mini.

I'm in Philadelphia, and also in the suburbs (for work during the day), and haven't flown for a few weeks. It's been windy the past few days, but the overall reason has been that when I've had an opportunity to fly, it's been too darn cold! If I fly outside without gloves, and the temperature is 40 or under, my hands just get too darn cold in about 10 minutes time.

C'est la vie....

I *did* fly indoors at my job yesterday, to demo my Mini to a co-worker. That was only about a 2 minute flight, though. :-(

Reactions: Drgnfli
Very same frustration here in the Midwest!! AGGGG, 65 deg day in feb and can't fly, why? Wind. With march coming up that should be worst. What is the wind tolerance of say a Mavic pro? The reason I bought a MM was to get past the learning curve but not being able to fly just a few times since the first of the year is getting old. I like the reduced refresh rate for the MM though I must say, and if I lost it it's lot less money. Another concern before the purchase was the FAA and any new rules. I didn't want to spend $1,000 plus for something that I may not be able to fly 4 yrs from now because of operating cost (rid).

Last edited:
Reactions: Drgnfli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan