DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Owning it. Conspicuous outer wear to ID yourself as a UAV pilot during missions?

Does anyone wear conspicuous outer wear, like a construction-worker day-glow orange or yellow tshirt for example, with text printed on it with something to the effect of "FAA-licensed commercial UAV (or Drone) Pilot"? Especially on commercial gigs?

If so, has it helped ward away Karens or attract them? Just wondering if "owning it" out there is better than hiding out in our cars. Probably depends on the mission at hand...
Here I am, Not Owning It. I fly from any shadows I can find. Shady spot in a sunny area. Also great for seeing my screen.IMG_4851.JPG an

I don’t wear hiviz stuff but just by standing holding a phone/RC etc and looking up at the sky in the middle of the Downs here in Bristol people pass by most of the time and don’t notice me (story of my life). I have had a few people come up and talk about what I’m doing-suits me and it’s nice to talk about our brilliant hobby/pastime.

Don't know bout ya'll, but here in Colorado Springs, CO we've had more and more folks wearing a bright orange vest and attempting to gain access to homeowners' backyards. Pullin' the 'fake utility worker' routine. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't!

It depends on where/when & why. If flying on area with no public access then usually no. However if flying where multiple people may be around then yes, especially if on a contracted flight.

I think it makes a huge difference wearing safety gear. I work in the field as a public employee and it's mandatory to wear a hardhat, plus generally a vest or other safety gear. If you really what to look the part, don't forget the two-way radio on your belt for all to see. I feel most people simply look at your vest and identifying equipment as you're just an average Joe blow worker doing a job, so most people leave you alone. But sometimes there are those who are attracted by it. Curiosity over complaining I guess where most complainers tend to leave you alone but you're a flashy catch to the curious. Then there are the truly special people that you don't want to get involved with cause they're nut cases. Once corralled, your afterthought might be "I should have gone stealth".
As I said in a few other similar posts, I don't wear any safety garb while rec flying, but I don't hide while operating either. Common sense often comes to play and most of the places I choose to fly at are not spots that raise public eyebrows. I almost always use strobes which is the complete opposite of stealth. Most of the flights involve a fairly large orange landing pad and I generally fly from where my vehicle is parked. If I have to walk a distance to fly, I just fly. No way I'm draggin a hard hat or vest along but I usually clip my registration and trust cards on me or my controller.

Well I go to the Nth degree. I have a DJI cap with "Drone Pilot" written front and back, a DJI wind cheater again with DJI "Drone Pilot" front and back (as it's winter here in Australia), a yellow high-viz vest, landing pad, orange cones to mark out a landing area of roughly 5 metres around the pad, and folding "Caution Drone Activity In Progress" signs.
I have not had a single Karen or Ken since. And everyone who watches respectfully waits until my drone lands before they ask questions of an interest nature. And then I do get quite a few questions...

Reactions: Dbez1 and snowghost
I'm just flying for leisure, so I don't wear any brights, and my outfits are generally pretty muted. However, I pick a spot that is best for flying the drone safely, and do not try to hide at all. I've only been approached by people curious about the hobby and all the conversations have been pleasant. I'm not too worried about Karens, since I'm not doing anything illegal and have all the paperwork printed out and in my drone bag.

However, if you are doing commercial work, I think a vest or cap would make you look more legitimate and lets people know you are not doing anything sneaky. It might ward off a couple of people that are on the fence about approaching you or not, but those that have a bone to pick will probably still bug you.

Reactions: Jam0ne and Giovanni
It depends on where you are. If you do this all the time to be honest for the most part you look like a horses ***. I do see the need at times though.

In the rare occasions I am in a situation where I need to fly in a semi crowded area or from a busy street I wear a lanyard with my 107, Trust, and Registration cards in it. I bought it from a company called GoVo and it’s a hard plastic case that can be worn around your neck or clip to a pocket or belt loop. It looks semi official and have never had a problem.
How come there are so many more horses azzes than there are horses? 🐴

Reactions: snowghost
I wear a full hazmat suit and run a 3-minute geiger counter audio-clip on loop. That usually keeps them at bay.

Dale, I do believe I made it within the required 90-day window following the last comment. Besides, if I had've found this thread sooner, I might never have seen the bizarre pic of you lurking in the shadows. Goodness, man. That looks like police evidence, not photography. What in Zeus' name are you doing?

Last edited:
Dale, I do believe I made it within the required 90-day window following the last comment. Besides, if I had've found this thread sooner, I might never have seen the bizarre pic of you lurking in the shadows. Goodness, man. That looks like police evidence, not photography. What in Zeus' name you doing?
I just learned that there was a 90 day window. I had a reply last week from a thread a year old.
Yes...the shadows is where I like to fly from. I can see my screen without the glare of the hot 90+ degree Florida sun, keep cooler while flying, and I blend in where Karens cannot see me.

Reactions: Shayne
I normally wear whatever I feel BUT I do have a favorite shirt for flying. Not that I've ever had a problem from anyone but I have this awesome black T shirt that says "POLICE" on the back of it and "SUPPORT YOUR POLICE" on the front.
It was actually sold to me by the Orlando Police Dept in 2003 when the idiot city tried to justify the cops PAYING for their own gun belts and shoes and cuffs, etc. They made T shirts up and sold them. I was a golf Pro in O-Town at the time and happened into this awesome sale. lol.

I jokingly call it, "My DUI Shirt" when I'm out day-drinking. I'm TOTALLY joking about that. Seriously.
I'm not sure why somebody would have an avatar of OJ. My wife used to live in the same apartment complex when she first dated him, and it wasn't pretty even back then.

I'm not sure why somebody would have an avatar of OJ. My wife used to live in the same apartment complex when she first dated him, and it wasn't pretty even back then.
Hey, no laughing now! I was a cop in the USAF for 24y. I commissioned a local T-Shirt Shop to make 14 similarly custom designed T-Shirts commentating each assignment. Left breast patch was unit, to/from dates, and the SP shield. Wife insisted having the shoulder to shoulder on back read POLICE. I simply will NOT wear them in this political climate.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom