DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

p4p 4k footage vs m2p

Could be a result of the high aperture settings here, where diffraction starts to kick in.

I tried to match colors and sharpness in Billy's first scene, I think there is no right or wrong between the two drones, at least in 8-Bit. But I rather throw sharpness on clips in post, than loose details because of too much in camera sharpening.

Color match? Not even close. P4P has pinkish whites and the highlights are not as crisp and detailed. Also comparisons like that are simply “apples and oranges”. Even with “same settings” means nothing since the underlying image processing is different. The only way one could make a SUBJECTIVE comparison is to allow each camera to be set to its optimal settings as well as optimal post processing.

Color match? Not even close. P4P has pinkish whites and the highlights are not as crisp and detailed. Also comparisons like that are simply “apples and oranges”. Even with “same settings” means nothing since the underlying image processing is different. The only way one could make a SUBJECTIVE comparison is to allow each camera to be set to its optimal settings as well as optimal post processing.
Well said brother, well said.

Yes and what the infinity button THINKS is infinity is NOT actually infinity across all cameras, sensors, models or anything else. Manufacturing tolerances more than make this drift.

... and varying exterior temperatures.

The striking thing is how much you can do with the 10 bit log before banding and other issues show up.
Otherwise there's a not a lot in it except the Mavic has other advantages especially smaller size.

God you nailed it there!

I looked at this differently, not to compare the M2P to the P4P, but to compare the M2P to more standard video. For me the M2P is likely to be one camera out of several as I put a video story together. And I want the cameras to all have the same look as I switch from one camera to the other. Previously I set up equivalent professional profiles on a Sony HXR-NX80 and a Sony A7III. I shot a scene in 4K, basically looking at my house from the same spot, with various details and colors I could compare, with the M2P and the other two cameras. I shot the M2P in normal mode, with both FOV and HQ; for the comparison the focal lengths for the other two cameras were adjusted to match the FOV and HQ image sizes.

The sharpness between the three cameras was indistinguishable. They all had good 4K video.

The color was another matter. The M2P had quite a bit higher saturation. In post (with FCPX) I needed to adjust the saturation 30%, either down for the M2P or up for the othe cameras. When I did this the overall color balance was the same between the M2P and the Sony cameras, and the overall images were close enough to combine the cameras and have one video look. I've checked this with other scenes, to the point I'm comfortable using the M2P for multi camera work, and matching saturation in post.

I sure noticed the significant quality edge of the M2P as compared to the P4P when recording UHD at “normal” frame rates. I could care less about 120fps or 60fps I simply don’t use my drone to record some heavy action scenes where slo-motion may be indicated. Even the P4P high frame rate footage looks pretty poor and the M2P can’t do it... so (who) I for sure don’t care.

Even the P4P high frame rate footage looks pretty poor and the M2P can’t do it... so (who) I for sure don’t care.
You're not referring to 4k 60fps on the p4p are you? What are you talking about man?!? lol 4k 60fps on the p4p is just flat out beautiful. It totally blows away any footage from the m2p at any frame rate.

hi, yes you're correct 100 percento !!
I watched these YouTube vids yesterday and could not believe how poor that camera was compared to the evo & the p4 pro.
in fact the Mav' only performs better in low light, I would even go as far to say that my 2 mavic pro's with a little bit of tweaking could quite easily equal that camera on the new Mav. anyhow I won't be buying one I've decided to get the p4 obsidion as it's only 1200 pounds now much better value for money in my opinion. always better to wait and check reviews before just going out and buying one like so many have, so glad I waited it's a lot of money after all.

It appears the only real advantage the Mavic 2 Pro has is its size and portability. If size is not an issue the P4 Pro is a better platform.

For those that have a p4p (or had), do you find the footage to be "clearer" on the p4p? I"ve watched a couple of comparison vids and the m2 on YT and the mavic just seems to be softer overall.

I was expecting it to blow the EVO away but if anything, i actually preferred the evo on this comparison (daytime shots):

Men, I was really hoping it would be on par with the 2 year old p4p, but it's looking like the p4p still has the edge on video quality IMO.

The Mavic 2 Pro color is oversaturated a bunch. The EVO white balance seems to be off a bit too much to the red side... Neither one in this example produced great video IMHO.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan