DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Palm Bay Florida

Guys, I just checked and my Mavic has reached Orlando, should be delivered here tomorrow ! I live in Melbourne near Lake Washington, if either of you wants to experience the grand opening and initial setup, pairing devices, firmware upgrades, software installation, etc.. My goal is to validate everything is working properly, and get the simulator running. I don't expect to actually try flying until next week, so please stay in touch ! slimcobra, I also have a Syma like the X8, some gears and lockstiches arriving soon to get it working again - all parts should work with your X8 if you need some spares ;o)
Dave

Reactions: DustyVisor
Thanks for the invite. I am in the middle of an extensive overhaul of my X8HG. I am adding a FPV WiFi cam inside the body of it, modifying the battery cage for a 3000 mah battery, night lion motors and a Walkera gimbal for my GoPro. I would love to be able to order my Mavic Pro now but we are going on the cruise the end of this month so I am having to hold off till we get back.

Great! Our next cruise is next month, and I'm hoping to get proficient enough with the Mavic to take it on a few shore excursions (not the ziplines!). I'll keep you posted when I get ready for flights around here, I could use a spotter for sure! Where's a good open field for flying in Cocoa/St. John?

Flying over by the decommissioned power plant that Dan flew at would be a good place. Right next door is a disputation center that hasn't opened so there is plenty of room to fly.
2017-02-09_1752.png

2017-02-09_1753.png

Excellent, I think I can find it, thanks!! I am getting familiar with the Mavic preflight setups and procedures, verified all the firmware and software upgrades, etc., works with my Samsung Galaxy S5, but the Simulator seems flaky. I will try to get my Galaxy Tab S tablet hooked up to it today, and if all goes well I may be ready to attach the props and fly it for the first time. If you have a few hours free, I'd bring it up your way this weekend for a formal introduction, slimcobra ;o) Let's exchange contact info at least, since we both have the Syma quads as well - open a PM if you're interested ;o)
Dave

It looks like that decommissioned power plant is in Class D airspace and very close to Space Coast Regional Airport. Not trying to be a negative Nancy; I just want to new folks to be aware. Look at skyvector.com to check the airspace around you. Airspace.png Airspace2.png

Good morning ! I am very happy to report that I finally have some actual flight time on my Mavic - took it to Wickham Park where I saw some RC planes were flying. Started with my Samsung tablet mounted, got a message about restricted areas which I couldn't clear because no data plan or internet, so switched to Samsung phone - had to wait while the GO 4 app did an update, but both worked fine with the GO 4 app. Cruised around manually, getting used to the controls, and tested RTH using my front door mat. Everything worked perfectly, even had a few close encounters with the RC planes, which triggered the obstacle avoidance, and TapToFly even stopped me from exceeding the distance limits in Beginner mode! I couldn't be happier with the product, looking forward to some camera flights and practice asap. Be pleased to meet up with anyone for some fun, just give me a holler !!
Dave

Vero Beach reporting in! Flying for the first time this weekend. What has your guys' response been to contacting the local airports about flying your drone?

I was flying yesterday, checking the camera functions, still in Beginner mode, when I got a "Firmware mismatch" error. When I landed, I immediately got a "SYSTEM ERROR - CHECK APP" message, and DJI GO said the problem was the Right Forward Vision Sensor. Went home and spent several hours with Tech Support - reset firmware to factory defaults, reinstalled DJI Assistant, etc., but Calibration fails. Even tried on a different computer (mine kept dropping connections, "Please reboot the aircraft"), but never got any RED box to align with the BLUE box in calibrating. Long story short, I'm expecting shipping instructions and a label to send it back for repairs ;o( Can't take off without Obstacle Avoidance Vision Sensors, so count me out for Mavics flying for about a month??

I charged the controller 3 times, and used 4-5 batteries - Received my RMA shipping label last night, to repair center in California (thankfully not going all the way back to China!), and sending it UPS Ground today. All in all, I have to give the Mavic high marks, even though I didn't finish testing everything, and never got out of Beginner mode. DJI is very apologetic, and admitted they have some trouble with the object avoidance vision sensors. I have some footage where I was testing it and got within 7-8 feet of myself before it detected me - not the 5 meters advertised ;o( Hopefully the Mavic will be back here in 3-4 weeks, and my Syma quad parts have still not arrived, so I am pretty much "droneless" except for some indoors Minis.
Dave

I recently flew around a Decommissioned power plant near my house. It proved to be an awesome place to practice aerial maneuvers to get better videos or photos.
99ff214c0d9fda28419dd16c824af2f9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
great pic, but how did you get clearance so close to airport? phone call?

I'm in Palm Bay. I have a Mavic Pro and a Phantom 3 Standard. I wouldn't mind meeting others in the area.

TimH64, I am in Melbourne, and the Mavic pilots I usually fly with are in Palm Bay and Viera. We have had 4 Mavics flying simultaneously at Palm Bay Regional Park, and two of them have Sparks and Phantom 4's as well. Let me know if you want to meet up with us next week (weekends are pretty busy) and we'll hook you up ;o)
Dave

TimH64, I am in Melbourne, and the Mavic pilots I usually fly with are in Palm Bay and Viera. We have had 4 Mavics flying simultaneously at Palm Bay Regional Park, and two of them have Sparks and Phantom 4's as well. Let me know if you want to meet up with us next week (weekends are pretty busy) and we'll hook you up ;o)
Dave
Dave,
Weekdays are usually hard for me. I don't get home until it's dark. Weekends are usually pretty flexible.

That's okay, I am good for weekends too, just not THIS weekend ;o) My cell number is 321-505-5811 , so you can text me and we'll stay in touch for next weekend ;o)
Dave

Anybody in Brevard county? Phantom 4 until Mavic Pro decide to appear. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
All: I fly regularly in Brevard, along with 3 other Mavic pilots. Between us we fly 4 Mavics, two Sparks, and various Phantoms 2 and 4! We are considering meeting at Palm Bay Regional Park (Fred Poppe Regional Park) this coming Wednesday, weather permitting. You are welcome to join us, several of us have flown in The Compound before, and several beaches locations. I can post my contact information if you'd like to meet or form a "Brevard" group ;o)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11