DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Palm Beach County

Palm Beach check in here!

Just got my M2 Zoom last week and have not even charged the battery!! I’m so new to this I’m trying to learn as much as I can before flying. I wanted to go to Okeeheelee Park (I’m in Boynton Beach/ Wellington area) but my B4UFLY app shows it too close to PBI. Arghh.

Anyone close by in Boca, Delray, or up to West Palm that are flying- I’d love to learn how to fly safely and properly :)

Brian

Hi Brian,
I think the key to safe responsible flying revolves around 3 points;

1. Be respectful of people wherever you fly. don't hover over someones house, or at least if you are moving slowly over residential areas, do so at high altitude. If someone complains, be they right or wrong, apologise and fly elsewhere. Every drone pilot is an ambassador for the industry.

2. Water is not your friend - there are multiple scenarios in which your craft could end up in the water. If you are new or inexperienced with the hardware/software, stay at least pretty close to shore.

3. Respect wildlife and do not disturb. Watch out for raptors and some other birds that may attack or get overly curious about your drone.

One more thing. Where we live is close to PBI. Whenever POTUS is here, there is a TFR that grounds all drones in the vicinity. Your app should just say "Cannot Fly" when you fire it up.

Quieter city parks can be a good venue for practice, but if you want a huge area, you could try Corbett off Beeline in N Palm Beach county. Have no flown there, but I have hear they do. Would not go during hunting season, as you might upset some hunters

Reactions: DukeBlueZion
Hi Br

Just got my M2 Zoom last week and have not even charged the battery!! I’m so new to this I’m trying to learn as much as I can before flying. I wanted to go to Okeeheelee Park (I’m in Boynton Beach/ Wellington area) but my B4UFLY app shows it too close to PBI. Arghh.

Anyone close by in Boca, Delray, or up to West Palm that are flying- I’d love to learn how to fly safely and properly :)

Brian
Hi Brian, try using the AirMap app. The LAANC system should allow you to request and receive authorization up to 400 ft to fly in Okeeheelee.

Reactions: DukeBlueZion
Hi Br

Hi Brian, try using the AirMap app. The LAANC system should allow you to request and receive authorization up to 400 ft to fly in Okeeheelee.

I did just that! I ended up using the kittyhawk app because the AirMap just kept hanging up. Had a good time at OP today. Great weather. I look forward to finding some good spots out near the coast. I’m in the Lake Worth area also.

Brian

I did just that! I ended up using the kittyhawk app because the AirMap just kept hanging up. Had a good time at OP today. Great weather. I look forward to finding some good spots out near the coast. I’m in the Lake Worth area also.

Brian
The north side of the Boynton inlet is one of my favorite launch points. From there you can cruise the inlet and around the island on the west side. There’s also a small park just north of the Boynton bridge that goes over the inlet. It’s got a boardwalk that goes right out to the water for some great shots of the bridge. Bryant park in Lake Worth is also good but requires LAANC authorization.

Reactions: LakeWorthB

Brian
Just head south toward Boca and pick some empty field off 441. I just started flying in that area and it looks like the are lots of places to fly out west. There is also an AMA field off West Atlantic at 441. Mostly fixed wing guys but interesting to watch, especially the jets.

Just checking in as a new Drone owner in Lake Worth. Bought a used MM to get into the hobby. So far I have flown at my house, and at Okeeheelee

I’m struggling a bit with my drone. :(

I have had it a little over a year and it’s only been in the air 3 to 4 times tops. I still love love love it but I have difficulty figuring out where the hell to fly and right now I just need practice… Ultimately I want to be able to go near the coast and do some sunsets or sunrises or pier shots but I’m not super comfortable getting it in the air and being new to the area I just don’t know where I can go comfortably. It’s been a while since I bought it and I almost have to start back over from scratch with how the thing operates, flight authorization, etc.

@LakeWorthB How’s it going for you bro? Have you found any good practice spots other than Okeeheelee? I’ve been there twice. It’s ok I suppose. I’m in Lake Worth also.

Any feedback is welcome… I definitely love this bird I’m just a little frustrated about where I can go consistently to practice etc.…help :)

Happy New Years to you guys!

Last edited:
I’m struggling a bit with my drone. :(

I have had it a little over a year and it’s only been a year or 3 to 4 times tops. I still love love love it but I have difficulty figuring out where the hell to fly and right now I just need practice… Ultimately I want to be able to go near the coast and do some sunsets or sunrises or pier shots but I’m not super comfortable getting it in the air and being new to the area I just don’t know where I can go comfortably. It’s been a while since I bought it and I almost have to start back over from scratch with how the thing operates, flight authorization, etc.

@LakeWorthB How’s it going for you bro? Have you found any good practice spots other than Okeeheelee? I’ve been there twice. It’s ok I suppose. I’m in Lake Worth also.

Any feedback is welcome… I definitely love this bird I’m just a little frustrated about where I can go consistently to practice etc.…help :)

Happy New Years to you guys!
So far I have flown in my backyard, okeheelle, and at dyer park. But basically if you check airmap, and you go to a park that doesn't specifically say no-drones, then you are good. The only places so far I have seen that say specifically no-drones, are state/national parks, and those water treatment type natural areas.

Reactions: Peter B
Had a good sunrise beach flight just above boynton inlet.
go 50 yards north of inlet on beach and no restriction launching. Beach gets lot windier than inland so just go on calm air day.
That looks like a good spot for over water flights. Delray and everything south is far too crowded on the beach for me to launch.

I've yet to fly at the beach so the wind has me a bit concerned. Even on a calm day the beach has a good breeze and currents.

nearby water tower...

GDwaK2Y.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu