DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Panning the gimble left and right?

Mantrain

Reactions
I should know this, but I am not sure. This is a three-axis gimble. Why am I only able to pan the gimble up and down during flight?

Thanks!

Using your finger on the video display in DJI Fly, you can move the camera gimbal from side to side. Hold your finger on the screen and then start moving from side to side. It may even move it up and down that way...don't recall. I discovered this when I was trying to select an object to track.

Reactions: mavictk
Using your finger on the video display in DJI Fly, you can move the camera gimbal from side to side. Hold your finger on the screen and then start moving from side to side. It may even move it up and down that way...don't recall. I discovered this when I was trying to select an object to track.
does it require being in video mode?

I just cannot get it to pan right or left at all. So why is it a 3 axis gimbo when it won't pan in three directions?

It requires this press and hold maneuver to get it working that I can only pull off sometimes. I suppose for some it's easy, and I'm sure with enough practice it would get easy for me also.

I just cannot get it to pan right or left at all. So why is it a 3 axis gimbo when it won't pan in three directions?
Because you make the drone turn right and left if you want to change teh view to right or left.
The drone moves the gimbal a small amount on that axis just to keep the view stable.
If you could swing the camera left and right, you'd quickly get disoriented and fly into an obstacle.

Because you make the drone turn right and left if you want to change teh view to right or left.
The drone moves the gimbal a small amount on that axis just to keep the view stable.
If you could swing the camera left and right, you'd quickly get disoriented and fly into an obstacle.
now that makes sense. But then why does the gimbo need to be axis x 3?

now that makes sense. But then why does the gimbo need to be axis x 3?
So you're view is stabilised in 3 axes.
The drone/gimble handles the 3rd axis for you.
You can see this by powering up your drone and hold it up with the camera facing you.
Tip and tilt it and observe how this works to keep the camera view stable.

You don't need a separate ability to control the gimbal in this axis when you can directly turn the drone (and camera) with joystick control.

Reactions: MS Coast
You still can move it left or right though. Press and hold in the middle of the screen for about 2 seconds until a white circle appears in the place you are holding your finger, then you can drag that circle left or right (also up or down or diagonally) to move the gimbal.
To recenter the gimbal, you can assign a shortcut in the three dots menu on top, Controls tab. Assign Recenter Gimbal to the FN button, so when you want to get the gimbal back straight you click the FN button. You can also assign a function to Fn double-click.

As noted above, you CAN move it left and right. You have to press and hold on the screen ( I have found that it works best pressing on the lower 1/3 of the screen to help prevent the autofocus or exposure from activating)) and the white circle will appear under your finger. That can be moved to position the Gimbal/Camera. It takes a bit of practice ( at least for me) and I originally thought it didn't work on the Air2S but it does!

Reactions: twickers14
I've used this feature with my Mavic Air 2 to view the arm while in flight. I also watched a video where a drone seemed to hit a bird, this feature allows you to check for damage on the front two arms while in flight. You'd never be able to capture either of those shots by simply turning the drone left or right.

Good information guys... and no, simply making the drone move horizontally is not gonna cut it. There's a certain type of shot i need, which is the drone traveling forward, but with the camera tilted off diagonally. There's no way to emulate this, with drone movement alone. The camera has to be at a horizontal angle. Gonna try these methods.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N