DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Panorama Photography w/ M2x drones - Horizon adjustability questions

Big-Foot

Reactions
I’m a photographer that happens to also use drones (M2Z & M2P) in his work.
Apparently the programming for the upward and downward tilt (vertical axis) of the gimbal is limited to ~18° up and down.
What I would really like to do is the adjust the vertical range of the gimbal during Panorama shoots to go as high as the 30° limit of the Gimbal.
IE - Give me more sky and less ground..
My questions are -
1) Is this a GO4 limitation or is it in the firmware of the drone?
2) Has anyone found control software to replace GO4 that overrides this?
Here is one of my sunset Panos that illustrate just how much is actually wasted on shooting 18° down...
Thank you!
74DE4988-851B-4194-8177-3D0643A34182.jpeg

I should start by saying I have never done this but you could try shooting a 360 pano and save the individual images and crop and stitch whatever portions you desire.

Advanced gimbal settings in DJI Go4 app allows a 30 degree up setting. Unless you are shooting the pano pics in the actual panorama mode then that probably won't help because the camera chooses the gimbal adjustment angles for each shot automatically.

Advanced gimbal settings in DJI Go4 app allows a 30 degree up setting. Unless you are shooting the pano pics in the actual panorama mode then that probably won't help because the camera chooses the gimbal adjustment angles for each shot automatically.

As best I can tell, the Enable 30 degree switch only unlocks the Gimbal, it doesn't alter the Gimbal's position when shooting a pano to up to 30 degrees. Unless there's a setting buried somewhere in there that I may be missing...

Is there other software, other than Go4 that manages the Panorama photos?
I do realize that I can manually take the shots I like and then stitch them in Post Processing. I just wanted to skip over that hassle if possible..

This is what I hate about the auto panoramas, I wish it would set your center point to whatever you are looking at or have centered

It does center the Pano on the Horizontal plain where you push the button. Yeah - it's the vertical that we don't seem to have any control over..

Yes. Check out LITCHI. I don't know if it does what you need, but in general, we LITCHI users know that it does more than DJI Go. In fact, DJI is only lately adding features to GO that LITCHI had years ago.

Chris

Reactions: EC57 and Big-Foot
Yes. Check out LITCHI. I don't know if it does what you need, but in general, we LITCHI users know that it does more than DJI Go. In fact, DJI is only lately adding features to GO that LITCHI had years ago.

Chris

Thanks.. I’ll check it out online...

One added benefit of having another controller app: when you're in the field and DJI Go doesn't work, for whatever reason.

This came in handy when I was far off in the desert, not in my home state, nowhere near cellular service, and DJI Go 4 required that I sign in. I forget why, like I updated the software or firmware before hitting the road and didn't check to see if Go was signed in to DJI while I was still at home (it sucks that you even need to do that, and I do it every time after this one experience).

Of course, I couldn't sign in without cell service. But LITCHI had no problem taking off and doing everything.

LITCHI will still honor flight restrictions like DJI Go, such as NFZs , but there's none of that sign-in nonsense.

Chris

Reactions: ff22
This is what I hate about the auto panoramas, I wish it would set your center point to whatever you are looking at or have centered
Maybe it will show up on one of the frequent updates. I have a friend who finds this problem annoying We both raise or lower the gimbal, take horizontal or vertical stitch, then finish up manually. It helps having years of experience doing this with still cameras.

The GO 4 Mavic 2 automated Spherical Pano limit is 13° up on the gimbal. If you want more than that, you'll have to add in a manual row at 30° up, and stitch that row together with the saved Spherical Pano images.

I do realize that I can manually take the shots I like and then stitch them in Post Processing. I just wanted to skip over that hassle if possible.
Funny ... I shoot lots of panos and do it manually to avoid the hassle of the automated system.
With a little practice, it's fast and simple and gives you much more flexibility.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
It is faster! 60 seconds per pano, including the autostitched creation with a cloned ceiling, while saving the 26 originals.
I was mostly being sarcastic to the Meta4 post.

BTW, My panos are done before I land so I guess negative time beats your 60 sec.?. I actually don’t have a computer or software or the interest to do manual but thanks for the info.

Easiest way is just manually shoot the panorama. Far more control then over gimbal, horizon, field of view etc

I was mostly being sarcastic to the Meta4 post.

BTW, My panos are done before I land so I guess negative time beats your 60 sec.?. I actually don’t have a computer or software or the interest to do manual but thanks for the info.
I understood that, and the 60 seconds is how long the camera on the M2 takes, from start to finish, to shoot all 26 images and stitch them together, with the cloned ceiling, using the automated Pano function in GO 4. Amazing actually! No way anyone can shoot them manually any faster than that, let alone complete the stitching with a cloned in ceiling! I use the resulting 13MB automated stitch on the microSD card for proof of concept, to see if it is worthwhile to spend the 5 minutes in PanoramaStudio 3 Pro on the desktop later, to create a more detailed 75MB version from the saved 26 original photos on the microSD card in the Panorama folder. The desktop PTGui viewer from the PTGui program is the best way to view the original GO 4 stitch on the desktop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Camino Ken
I understood that, and the 60 seconds is how long the camera on the M2 takes, from start to finish, to shoot all 26 images and stitch them together, with the cloned ceiling, using the automated Pano function in GO 4. Amazing actually! No way anyone can shoot them manually any faster than that, let alone complete the stitching with a cloned in ceiling! I use the resulting 13MB automated stitch on the microSD card for proof of concept, to see if it is worthwhile to spend the 5 minutes in PanoramaStudio 3 Pro on the desktop later, to create a more detailed 75MB version from the saved 26 original photos on the microSD card in the Panorama folder. The desktop PTGui viewer from the PTGui program is the best way to view the original GO 4 stitch on the desktop.
Sorry for misunderstanding your response. I obviously thought that you were saying that it took 60 sec to do the manual stitching. It seemed to fast but insofar as I have never done it I wasn’t sure. Sorry again.

Sorry for misunderstanding your response. I obviously thought that you were saying that it took 60 sec to do the manual stitching. It seemed to fast but insofar as I have never done it I wasn’t sure. Sorry again.
No problem. Happy to clarify and fully share the benefits of the automated Spherical Pano feature. I use it most of the time, even if doing the stitch manually later. I have shot as many as 8 in a single flight, leaving 14 minutes for flying at 30mph between the 8 different locations!

Reactions: ff22 and Camino Ken

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Weepo67