DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Panoramic slight fisheye in Lightroom

Lightroom works well, just use Manual correction in the Development module. If it’s too much distortion for Lightroom take it into photoshop and use lens correction. PTGui is the mother of all stiching programms, will stitch anything together including 40 or 50 images in a 360 pano.

Last edited:
Lightroom works well, just use MaNeal correction in the Development module. If it’s too much distortion for Lightroom take it into photoshop and use lens correction. PTGui is the mother of all stiching programms, will stitch anything together including 40 or 50 images in a 360 pano.
I give up.
There's a limit to how many times I'm going to type the same thing again.

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52 and CJG
OK Guys, it's been a while since we started this discussion. The wide panoramic shots continue to be a problem BUT.....
You can shoot in 180 deg panoramic and crop it down to make a perfect shot! Give it a try and LMK how it goes.

The saga goes on! I’ve just raised a similar thread.

I guess, in a nutshell, what I want is a cheap/free Mac program that can take RAW MIni 2 images for auto 9 shot panoramas, and convert them into flat-horizon panoramas. I did originally get HUGIN to do this, but it is letting me down now.

Any proven suggestions, folks?

This auto-9-shot panoramic problem (for RAW images) is the only fault with the otherwise excellent Mini 2.

Just on the way back from Fort William in Scotland and looking forward to processing all my M2P and Mini 2 images.

I use the Mini 2 when I might otherwise be in breach of Drone Code; and M2P when I am OK code-wise.

Any proven suggestions, folks?
This auto-9-shot panoramic problem (for RAW images) is the only fault with the otherwise excellent Mini 2.
It's simple.
Forget the automated 9 shot thing and shoot your panoramas manually.
That will give you images that you can easily stitch properly with any stitching software.

Reactions: CJG
It's simple.
Forget the automated 9 shot thing and shoot your panoramas manually.
That will give you images that you can easily stitch properly with any stitching software.
Fair enough, but I am an automatic kind of guy, as far as possible.

Are there any cheap/free Mac programs you can recommend?

I have seen some suggestions about using Photoshop, but I am not a photoshop expert. Can you point me in the right direction for training resources for fixing this stuff in PS?

Fair enough, but I am an automatic kind of guy, as far as possible.
Are there any cheap/free Mac programs you can recommend?
I recommended shooting manually, because there's no stitching program that can get good results with the weird way that the automated process shoots the 9-shot panorama.

I recommended shooting manually, because there's no stitching program that can get good results with the weird way that the automated process shoots the 9-shot panorama.
I agree that Manual Panoramas are the way forward for the future. But that leaves a bunch of Mini 2 auto-9-shot-Panos that are leaving me frustrated! Any thoughts?

There still seems to be no reason as to why the .jpg files stitch perfectly in the Fly app, but the .dng files don't in post processing and you end up with a horrible fish-eye effect.

There is some sort of correction applied to the .jpg's that is not applied to the .dng's.

I heard (rightly or wrongly) it's some sort of 'rotation' parameter that is not applied.

So, in the meantime, the Air 2S 3x3 pano for raw remains effectively useless.

Cheers - Rob.

I’ve got an Mini 3 Pro now, and the 9-image-panoramas are much better.

But: you have to start with the camera pointing straight ahead. If you tilt the camera down at all, you get the old distorted panorama.

I have set one of the short cut actions on the controller to tilt the camera all the way down and then all the way back up again. This routine before taking a 9-shot panorama works most of the time.

DJI s/w in the drone corrects for lens distortion for individual photographs and video. But when you make a panorama, the s/w probably can only make an estimate of the resulting equivalent lens focal length Is. You can probably correct this in Lightroom using Manual lens adjustment or definitely in photoshop. Worst case you use the Warp feature in PS to fix it

There still seems to be no reason as to why the .jpg files stitch perfectly in the Fly app, but the .dng files don't in post processing and you end up with a horrible fish-eye effect.

There is some sort of correction applied to the .jpg's that is not applied to the .dng's.

I heard (rightly or wrongly) it's some sort of 'rotation' parameter that is not applied.

So, in the meantime, the Air 2S 3x3 pano for raw remains effectively useless.

Cheers - Rob.
The difference is just how the stitching program works. With DJIs program, it knows how the aircraft has rotated, how much overlap from one image to the next, what angle the gimbal is tilted, the distance from the nodal point of the lens from the center of rotation, and what projection to use for the pano. So it basically already knows 90% or more of how the images go together before it starts processing.

When you bring the raw files into another program, that program has to figure out all those things from what it can see in the images and what little information there is in the Exif data. A program like Lightroom or photoshop only has a few projections to choose from and has no ability fix any issues manually. It also likely uses only pixel matching to stitch. That’s where something like PTGui Pro has a huge advantage of being able to tweak things and many more projections to get it right.

Pano stitching is a very complex and every program will do it differently. It’s not just one more parameter like rotation to take into consideration, it’s hundreds or maybe even thousands.

Reactions: kenjancef
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys