DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Parachute Recovery and Flight Termination System for the DJI Mavic 3

• Thread starter Deleted member 154956
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 154956

(New Brunswick, Canada) – AVSS has announced that the company has developed aScreen Shot 2022-05-09 at 12.29.22.png Parachute Recovery and Flight Termination System for the DJI Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Cine, referenced as the PRS-MAVIC. The PRS-MAVIC is intended to enable complex flight operations for commercial operators and will be sold for $1,900 USD.

The company is now accepting pre-orders from authorized dealers and commercial operators with shipments to the AVSS dealer network commencing in August 2022.

I thought this had more to do with commercial flight safety over crowds of people, not so much about saving the drone, but preventing injury in the event of a crash.

Well, that makes more sense. Still though, regulations don't really allow flying over crowds unless in transition for a prosumer drone.

Originally I was a fan and first adopter to the idea a few years back .

I had one very close call that scared me for life . as I was practicing the fall , the chute drifted from the safe spot I was flying over right into the oncoming traffic .

I simply got lucky , and the drone still got damaged more so because it hit pavement, but the thought of that drifting into an oncoming car going 50 mph was just terrifying .

I fly over the lake and the river and never once over main highways so that was a panic moment as the wind shifted its course .

Despite that scare I do see where if you are going to fly over people or roads anyway this could be extremely useful.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water ..

Well, that makes more sense. Still though, regulations don't really allow flying over crowds unless in transition for a prosumer drone.
We won’t know for sure until it happens, but I’d guess AVSS will be seeking certification for Operations Over People in the US. They don’t exactly say what a “flight termination system“ is; it may be a method for stopping the propellers. That, in combination with the parachute system, may support OOP certification.

We don’t quite know because nobody’s drone has yet been certified as a Cat 2 or 3. Remote ID is also required, if my understanding is current.

All the above for the USA. AVSS is actually a Canadian co, I haven’t been keeping up with their regs. Anybody know?

As an update to this thread, ParaZero will have a Mavic 3 updated product "quite soon" along with updated pricing according to a rep I was in contact with. I'll post when I know more.

Reactions: Honk
I see this thread is quite old now and no recent discussion. I am looking at purchasing a recovery system to make life easier when doing live broadcast sporting events. I had waited a year for an AVSS system and finally got my money back from the reseller. I don’t know if that company even exists anymore. Does anyone have any experience with other systems? I’ve been chatting with two companies, FlyFire and Parazero, who both claim to be able supply me with product. I have no relationship with these companies from the past and wondering if anyone is using their products successfully. Thanks

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Does anyone have any experience with other systems?

I've only looked at them with some curiosity from time to time, Google > drone parachute < and plenty of hits come up.

Maybe for future BVLOS and for jobs flying over people, this sort of system will enable suitably licensed / experienced pilots to have more flexibility for such work.

I have used Parazero for many years on all my larger drones and they have been great to work with and wonderful support. Unfortunately they do not have a Mavic 3 version as yet, does anyone know what happened to the AVSS product, is it still in development or gone completly?

Unfortunately they have delayed the ASTM certification and for what I am doing this is a minimum requirement, I was hoping to find an alternative that has this already.

(New Brunswick, Canada) – AVSS has announced that the company has developed aView attachment 147989 Parachute Recovery and Flight Termination System for the DJI Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Cine, referenced as the PRS-MAVIC. The PRS-MAVIC is intended to enable complex flight operations for commercial operators and will be sold for $1,900 USD.

The company is now accepting pre-orders from authorized dealers and commercial operators with shipments to the AVSS dealer network commencing in August 2022.
We ordered the AVSS system for Mavic and it never arrived after a year and I did manage to get my money back. I found a company called FlyFire out of China and their recovery system is way, way cheaper than the other systems and certified in my region. Their operating time is about 3 hours so I purchased two units in case I want to shoot all day, but they recharge fast and have no effect on battery time or flight characteristics. You probably want the Manti 3 unit for Mavic Drone Parachute manufacturer Co-design with DJI

Reactions: rjwmorrell
We ordered the AVSS system for Mavic and it never arrived after a year and I did manage to get my money back. I found a company called FlyFire out of China and their recovery system is way, way cheaper than the other systems and certified in my region. Their operating time is about 3 hours so I purchased two units in case I want to shoot all day, but they recharge fast and have no effect on battery time or flight characteristics. You probably want the Manti 3 unit for Mavic Drone Parachute manufacturer Co-design with DJI
There’s also a company called Parazero with a similar product called safeair for Mavic 3 that I considered but twice the price of the Manti. SafeAir Mavic 3 - ParaZero

Thank you Jack for that i will look into those, I have a lot of the Parazero units on larger drones and they are great and they do have one for the Mavic but it looks like it will be a while before their ASTM accreditation is done, im not sure why this one is proving difficult as they have the Mavic 2 done years ago.

We won’t know for sure until it happens, but I’d guess AVSS will be seeking certification for Operations Over People in the US. They don’t exactly say what a “flight termination system“ is; it may be a method for stopping the propellers. That, in combination with the parachute system, may support OOP certification.

We don’t quite know because nobody’s drone has yet been certified as a Cat 2 or 3. Remote ID is also required, if my understanding is current.

All the above for the USA. AVSS is actually a Canadian co, I haven’t been keeping up with their regs. Anybody know?
I see no one answered your question in the remaining posts in this thread, so I will.

In Canada, any drone over 250g must be registered. That makes it fall under either Basic or Advanced categories of operation. Both require an appropriate pilot certificate. For basic you may not fly in controlled airspace or within 30m of uninvolved people. For advanced, you CAN fly within 30m, but the drone will have to have a manufacturers certification for it, following a standard. On the registration it will say "approved for controlled airspace" and/or "approved for flight near (within 30m)/over (within 5m) persons".

To get the "over persons" approval, the drone has to have a fall arrest system like a parachute. So far I've only seen DJI drones with aftermarket parachute systems on the list for "over persons" operations.

Reactions: SethB
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji