DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Paranoid Pilot?

I'm in UK.

I used to be paranoid about flying over water.

It's not that flying over water has a higher risk of crashing, more that it's usually unrecoverable.

Flying over land quickly builds confidence in yourself and the bird.

You start to push it more and eventually you are flying over water without thinking about it.

Yesterday I had it hovering less than 1m above water 500m out in middle of a loch. A few months ago I was scared to fly over a small river.

Know your limits, take your time and just do what feels right in the moment.

It's not that flying over water has a higher risk of crashing, more that it's usually unrecoverable.

This is a very interesting point, I've never though about it like that but you're right - this is exactly why I don't fly it over water at the moment. I got the DJI refresh package because I thought it would allow me to feel more comfortable whilst learning everything there is to learn. In actual fact I think I've just moved that fear from "what if I crash?" to "what if I can't recover it?"

Kids are back at school next week so I'm hoping there's some nice weather and I can get out for some more practice!

This is a very interesting point, I've never though about it like that but you're right - this is exactly why I don't fly it over water at the moment. I got the DJI refresh package because I thought it would allow me to feel more comfortable whilst learning everything there is to learn. In actual fact I think I've just moved that fear from "what if I crash?" to "what if I can't recover it?"

Kids are back at school next week so I'm hoping there's some nice weather and I can get out for some more practice!
Give it time mate and you will be fine. I was exactly same as you.

Reactions: S O
Erring on the side of caution is always the way to go. As you get experience and understanding of the systems in various conditions you will feel more comfortable and be at ease where you weren't before.
It takes a significant amount of time and practice.

if you accept that you refuse to compromise your fun of flying for a few dollars then trying new things will be easier,it gets easier with time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying