DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107, commercial flight, time, money, and procedure.

MKurr

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
So, since I recently heard that the new FAA regulations are not going into effect until 2023 I have regained interest in part 107...

I have been flying as a hobbyist for some time now, I am interested in getting certified to fly commercially.

I am looking at options like "Pilot Institute" etc. Is it feasible to do it on your own?
Does the test itself cost something? Does is cost anything to maintain the license? How often do you need to renew? Do you get your license right after competing the tests? Etc...

There might already be a thread like this out there, if yes, please direct me to it.... :)

am looking at options like "Pilot Institute" etc. Is it feasible to do it on your own?
yes
Does the test itself cost something?
$150
Does is cost anything to maintain the license? How often do you need to renew?
$150 every two years for the recurrent test and certification
Do you get your license right after competing the tests?
You get a temporary license after about 1-2 weeks after you apply for your airmen certificate after successfully passing the test. Problem is you don’t get a certificate number so you won’t be able the fly for a company or anything like that at that point. You can fly jobs but you don’t have the credentials yet to really be a commercial pilot. Airman certificate takes 3-6 months after test passage to arrive in the mail.

Reactions: Bekanne
yes

$150

You get a temporary license after about 1-2 weeks after you apply for your airmen certificate after successfully passing the test. Problem is you don’t get a certificate number so you won’t be able the fly for a company or anything like that at that point. You can fly jobs but you don’t have the credentials yet to really be a commercial pilot. Airman certificate takes 3-6 months after test passage to arrive in the mail.

You can use the temporary certificate to apply for authorizations and waivers etc. - you just enter "Pending" under certificate number. What are you thinking will limit operations under the temporary certificate?

Reactions: MKurr
You can use the temporary certificate to apply for authorizations and waivers etc. - you just enter "Pending" under certificate number. What are you thinking will limit operations under the temporary certificate?
When I do jobs for companies they always want my certificate number. Companies wouldn’t accept my applications when I had a temp certificate. In theory you should be able to do anything but in practice corporate people don’t understand the process and would rather skip over you and use someone with a real certificate number. Just saying

@MKurr - If thinking of going into business you may want to check out THIS post in the sister forums Commercial Drone Pilots. It was posted by Russ Still of Gold Seal. Gold Seal also teaches a course to obtain your Part 107 Certificate. I used them when I studied to get mine and passed without a problem.

Pass Your Part 107 Exam
Or We'll Pay For It

• Taught by FAA Certificated Flight Instructors
  • Practice with actual FAA questions and examples
  • Lifetime Access
    100% Pass Guarantee
HERE is a link to their page

yes

$150

The plastic certificate shouldn't take anywhere near 3-6 months to arrive. For example, as of today the FAA is processing certificates for temporaries that were issued June 10th, so even adding a few days for printing and mailing, there should only be roughly a month long delay.

Reactions: sar104
The plastic certificate shouldn't take anywhere near 3-6 months to arrive. For example, as of today the FAA is processing certificates for temporaries that were issued June 10th, so even adding a few days for printing and mailing, there should only be roughly a month long delay.

you are right I meant weeks

Go to PilotInstitute.com Greg is awesome! The course rocks and is $150 I believe and if u don’t pass u will get a refund and they send u $150! Trust me on this one....he’s great and you will have it on two weeks like I did!

Another vote for Pilot Institute. I'm only 65% thru the course but I'm really enjoying it. Greg is a great teacher, very down to earth, and answers your questions almost immediately. PI also offers a money-back guarantee.

Thanks everyone! I signed up for Pilot Institute...

So how would testing work during this "plandemic"? Are testing sites "essential" services? Would there be more delay?

Glad you found one you like. Like I have said in other posts - it's like drones or cars - you find one you like and that is the one you will use and promote.

Good luck and enjoy

I started with Drone Coach. Good on-line videos, and I completed them all. There were a couple tech issues, but over all it was good. However, I felt that some portions just weren't "getting through" to me.

So, I signed up for Pilot Institute. The videos are shorter, but the info is fabulous and easy to follow. They also suggest a time line on how to proceed which I found helpful. Finally, I bought some test questions from Gary Glenn and watched his on line video.

I took all the practice tests onDrone Coach and Pilot Institute. I managed to score very high 80s to lower 90s.

I took my actually FAA test today and scored 97%. I probably did some overkill with the courses, but wanted to make sure that I could not only pass the test...but actually understand the info.

I started with Drone Coach. Good on-line videos, and I completed them all. There were a couple tech issues, but over all it was good. However, I felt that some portions just weren't "getting through" to me.

So, I signed up for Pilot Institute. The videos are shorter, but the info is fabulous and easy to follow. They also suggest a time line on how to proceed which I found helpful. Finally, I bought some test questions from Gary Glenn and watched his on line video.

I took all the practice tests onDrone Coach and Pilot Institute. I managed to score very high 80s to lower 90s.

I took my actually FAA test today and scored 97%. I probably did some overkill with the courses, but wanted to make sure that I could not only pass the test...but actually understand the info.
How did the test go in the "virus" context?

Go to PilotInstitute.com Greg is awesome! The course rocks and is $150 I believe and if u don’t pass u will get a refund and they send u $150! Trust me on this one....he’s great and you will have it on two weeks like I did!
I used Pilot Institute and made 93 on my test. They are worth the money.

Seeing this back at the top reminded me of something a friend told me.

When I passed my test, he congratulated me and told me of his test for an instrument rating. His first time, he passed...but not with a great score. He said that he didn't want his family and kids flying with a 80% (or whatever the number was) pilot. So he did it again and got a much better score, proving he was a netter prepared pilot.

That's kid of how I felt. I didn't want to pass with the minimum. It gets you the ticket....but may not leave you as well prepared.

Seeing this back at the top reminded me of something a friend told me.

When I passed my test, he congratulated me and told me of his test for an instrument rating. His first time, he passed...but not with a great score. He said that he didn't want his family and kids flying with a 80% (or whatever the number was) pilot. So he did it again and got a much better score, proving he was a netter prepared pilot.

That's kid of how I felt. I didn't want to pass with the minimum. It gets you the ticket....but may not leave you as well prepared.
That is the idea of taking Greg's classes for me instead of watching a couple of videos and memorizing some stuff and going to take my test. My goal from day one was to learn the material needed to pass not memorize enough stuff to get me by. I was well pleased with the outcome. He definitely prepared me for the test material.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98