DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 online coarse, are they worth it?

I'll give an example. I flew a lot in the Pacific Northwest as a FAA private pilot for years. But before that I flew mostly in Southern California. I had read about and studied "free" information available then such as the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM), navigational charts, etc and some specific information about "mountain" flying. Washington has the Olympic and Cascade Mountain ranges that are around 8,000 to 14,000 feet tall.

Knowledge wise, I understood the words written and comprehended their meaning. Practically though, I felt it wasn't enough. So I decided to add one more item to my study, a Mountain Flying Course video provided by aviation safety gurus, King Schools. Even though I had been a former employee of John & Martha King, I ponied up about $129 for their Mountain Flying videos, where a huge part of the curriculum is watching John or Martha actually fly the lesson and provide instruction and commentary.

My study of King Schools materials actually saved my life when I had gotten caught in my first (and last!) "mountain wave" at 10,000 feet over the Cascades. Despite applying full throttle to my 301 HP airplane, I could not out-climb the winds that were pulling me down towards the face of the mountain. Instinctually I wanted to turn the plane around, but I remembered the instruction of the King video and just "rode the wave out" and continued up and over the face of the mountain safely. That one video made all the difference.

Now I get it, these are drones we are talking about here, and very rarely, if ever is it a life or death situation. But I do have thousands of dollars invested in just the hardware and there are people on the ground that could get hurt if I make a mistake, or I hit their property and damage or destroy it. When I took my FAA private pilot check ride decades ago, I'll never forget what my check ride pilot said to me as she signed off my logbook, "Now you have your license to learn!" And no truer words were ever spoken.

So whatever methods you chose to help you be a better, safer drone pilot, we should all support their choice. But for me, the more the merrier, no matter a cost or not.

Just reading your story brought back a ton of memories. One of my flight instructors told me, "There's flying and then there's Mountain Flying. They may look the same but they are not the same thing!"

Pilot Institute did it for me and I passed with a very high score. I think I’m a safer pilot now because I’ve been indoctrinated with Greg’s safety conscious teachings and attitudes. Passing the test is only part of the process.
I'm not doubting what you've said here. But for those of us who didn't pay for that course or any other, can you provide specifics of the things you've learned in the course that you might not have learned elsewhere or on your own?

Many members, myself included, will recommend Pilot Institute. That you want to learn as much as possible makes PI a particularly good choice, imo.
Is there anybody out there that has a private pilot license like myself? What would you recommend for a 107l license. I have not yet looked to compare to an FAA exam. Flying recreational now.

Google a sample 107 test and try.
That's a great idea. So many free tests out there. If you're already a private pilot you can use a few of the sample tests and note the information where you're lacking, then research the info and you should be good to go. If you want to watch some video without going through 14 hours of it with a paid course, here's one you might like, though it's pretty basic. It will probably give you a sense of what you need to know and what you might yet need to learn.

One other tip that I haven't seen often. If you live close to an actual FAA testing center you can save $50 or more on the test. The private company on the fringe of a small local airport near me, I think, charged $160, but going to the actual FAA testing center I think I paid $90. I'm not sure of the actual amounts, but I'm in the ballpark on both ends.

Reactions: funflyer
Is there anybody out there that has a private pilot license like myself? What would you recommend for a 107l license. I have not yet looked to compare to an FAA exam. Flying recreational now.

PPL here (SEL) and I still suggest the "Structured" course. It's a lifetime membership so if you need to brush up on something or if the regs change you already have access to how it will affect you.

Are you current with your BFR?

PPL here (SEL) and I still suggest the "Structured" course. It's a lifetime membership so if you need to brush up on something or if the regs change you already have access to how it will affect you.

Are you current with your BFR?
Your comment got me to thinking and found out something I didn't know. I'd already taken the online Part 107 update test which extended my license for a year, but didn't realize that the in-person recurrent tests have been changed to an online update which puts two more years on the Part 107.

"Beginning this month (March 2021), there will no longer be a requirement to take / pass a recurrent knowledge test. Rather, from this point forward, Part 107 certificate holders will simply complete an on-line safety training course every two years. No exam."

Reactions: BigAl07
Back in 2020, practically the only way to get the part 107 was to add it to your part 61/91 through FAAST. Didn’t cost anything for part 61/91 and didn’t have to go to a testing center that wasn‘t open.

Reactions: funflyer
For anyone wanting a "Structured Course" without paying an arm and leg. Do a Google search for Britton Spader. He's a young Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) who has put together a course on Udemy that covers everything you need to know to pass your remote pilot exam. He keeps it updated, so it covers all the new regulations and you can ask him about anything you might have questions on. The course is $14.99

And no, that's not a typo. Total cost is $14.99

Many members, myself included, will recommend Pilot Institute. That you want to learn as much as possible makes PI a particularly good choice, imo.
Yes! Pilot Institute...professionally done videos to walk you through learning everything you need. Hands down the best you can get IMHO.

Reactions: Wade L.
Back in 2020, practically the only way to get the part 107 was to add it to your part 61/91 through FAAST. Didn’t cost anything for part 61/91 and didn’t have to go to a testing center that wasn‘t open.

Huh? The process to get your Part 107 didn't change at all from Aug 2016 until March of 2021 when Part 107 Recurrency was switched on an "Online Training" instead of in-person testing for Part 107 (non-Part 61 current). It's always been an "Online Only" for Current Part 61 pilots with non-Part 61 pilots (or those who aren't current) doing in-person initial training.

Prior to Part 107 (again August 2016) you had to have a Section 333 Exemption for any Commercial UAS operations and one of the requirements for your 333 was to have a min of a Sport Pilot ticket to be compliant. It was a very "lucrative" time to be flying UAS Commercially.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Huh? The process to get your Part 107 didn't change at all from Aug 2016 until March of 2021 when Part 107 Recurrency was switched on an "Online Training" instead of in-person testing for Part 107 (non-Part 61 current). It's always been an "Online Only" for Current Part 61 pilots with non-Part 61 pilots (or those who aren't current) doing in-person initial training.

Prior to Part 107 (again August 2016) you had to have a Section 333 Exemption for any Commercial UAS operations and one of the requirements for your 333 was to have a min of a Sport Pilot ticket to be compliant. It was a very "lucrative" time to be flying UAS Commercially.
Unless I’m having a brain fart, it seems like they had closed down in person testing in 2020 for the pandemic and online was the only way to go. Easier for part 61/91 since they didn’t incur the $150 to take the exam.

I have owned a photography business for 15 years and going to add drone services so want to not only get the part 107 exam done but also want to learn as much as possible about laws etc.
Are these online courses worth buying, or are they a waste of time? If you can recommend one or other educaation I would appreciate it.
I bought Remote Pilot 101 course by Jason Schappert and he offers you a one time fee and also the recurrent course for lifetime too. He updates it regularly and does a phenomenal job of instruction.

I elected to purchase an online course and I am very pleased with it. I purchased the course from Drone Pilot Ground School and they are excellent. I actually bought the course a few years ago when they had a Black Friday sale as they said it comes with lifetime access. I watched all the videos, a couple maybe 2-3 times on sectionals and weather. I passed with 98, 1 wrong. I would guess I sent maybe 20 hrs studying. This was just a month ago.

I figured with the large investment I have in drones an online course is a small investment. I also believe it helps you to maintain a current awareness of the regulations and just not pass the test. The thing is this is a rapidly changing field as things are continually moving. That is one of the reasons I elected to purchase the course as to continue to stay current.

And as a side note if you are by Colorado Springs I would highly recommend taking it at the AFA Aero Club as they were absolutely excellent. I was the only one in the testing room, excellent environment and they came in a couple of times to see if the temp of the room was okay and if the light was adequate. It took me less than 60 minutes to complete however I went back and reread every single question and double checked the answers as some questions are worded in a strange manner. Understanding exactly what the question is asking is a big part. The course completely prepared me and many of the questions focused on the April 2021 changes. I just think with the responsibility we shoulder we should stay current on the changes. I don't plan to fly for profit but I do take videos, pics and panos of my friend's property and places like my church. I am somewhat interested in aerial mapping so I might play around with that a little as I live in the country on acreage.

Regardless which way you go - best of luck!

Reactions: Dbez1
Shortimer wrote…”I figured with the large investment I have in drones an online course is a small investment. I also believe it helps you to maintain a current awareness of the regulations and just not pass the test. The thing is this is a rapidly changing field as things are continually moving. That is one of the reasons I elected to purchase the course as to continue to stay current.”

I couldn’t agree more, additionally I hate to keep looking over my shoulder when I’m flying. If I know I’m legal, it allows me to enjoy the sport more. Now I can give my photos to anyone I want and they can be used without concern.

Reactions: BigAl07
The FAA has free resources for you to pass the Part 107 exam. However, alternatively, I recommend spending the money on RemotePilot101; in addition to passing you will do extremely well knowing the airspace and regulations. I was able to score 88% on one attempt and took me less than two weeks to prepare. I strongly suggest practicing questions as well, hope this helps :)

I stand opposed to the other six deadly sins as well!
I don’t think it matters how you get your license as long as you get it. I’m no advocate of either method, but I enjoy making a little extra cash flying for money. Maybe I should have looked a little harder at the free stuff instead of throwing my money at an online course, but c’est last vie.. Peace brothers.

Reactions: projectarjun
I passed with a 90% with self-study, tests online, FAA study guide etc. But am interested in how I can maintain/grow knowledge, stay abreast of changes, updates, interpretations, etc. and score better on the next test in two years. I may join the pilot institute next year (off year for testing) to accomplish those items.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7