DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 online coarse, are they worth it?

I passed with a 90% with self-study, tests online, FAA study guide etc. But am interested in how I can maintain/grow knowledge, stay abreast of changes, updates, interpretations, etc. and score better on the next test in two years. I may join the pilot institute next year (off year for testing) to accomplish those items.
With the new drone laws, you’ll only have to take a free online training in two years. No more going somewhere and paying for the recurrent test. Pilot Institute and probably the other 107 courses mentioned in this thread will teach you about that.

Is there anybody out there that has a private pilot license like myself? What would you recommend for a 107l license. I have not yet looked to compare to an FAA exam. Flying recreational now.
I don't have a private pilots license, but I can tell you that you already know 95%+ of what you will need to know for a Part 107. I suggest starting with the FAA study guide to see what you may not know or remember. I'm sure you know about airspace, weather, comms, map reading, fixed wing stuff, so I would imagine what you might be lacking is the information related specifically to piloting drones; basic stuff like keeping VLOS, night flying, flying over people, etc. Tony Northrup has an hour+ long video that covers a lot of that. After some review I would recommend simply taking a few online pre-tests to make sure your knowledge holes are filled then go for it. The things I found the most difficult on the test were those things that a private pilot would know inside and out.

Reactions: funflyer
With the new drone laws, you’ll only have to take a free online training in two years. No more going somewhere and paying for the recurrent test. Pilot Institute and probably the other 107 courses mentioned in this thread will teach you about that.
>>Pilot Institute and probably the other 107 courses mentioned in this thread will teach you about that.

LOL, that must be why I only got 90% on my test. I did read that recurrent test was gone, I thought that meant you had to take the full test. Happy to not have that expense every 2 years, but honestly wonder if that's enough to make sure people remember all the information. Anyone can cram for a test, but do you remember it 18 months later, much less apply the key bits?

Last edited:
I took the TRUST test and went through the whole thing questions and answers the first time in less than 5 minutes. Repeats most of what was already in part 107. Don’t understand why you would need it, if you already have part 107. Part 107 is nothing if you already have part 61/91. And then it is a separate ticket.

I have owned a photography business for 15 years and going to add drone services so want to not only get the part 107 exam done but also want to learn as much as possible about laws etc.
Are these online courses worth buying, or are they a waste of time? If you can recommend one or other educaation I would appreciate it.
Personally I would say no. I am in general a poor test taker but 3 years ago I downloaded 100 test questions from the FAA website and studied the night before testing then passed with flying carpets. Last year I had to renew and did the same with no issues. I would say most people can simply cram for a day or so and pass without spending all the money for classes and training. While I learned a lot about sectional charts and misc most of what is in the tests does not apply to drones so it's not important if you pass with 71% or 99% the key is to pass then forget it all until the next test is due.

Reactions: Rikooprate
I watched YouTube videos (the good ones are easy to find), and downloaded a flashcard app by Pilot Institute. I didn't pass with a stellar score, BUT I did pass on my first attempt. Plus, your license doesn't have your test score shown anywhere! :)

There are so many variables when it comes to learning and no one method is best for anyone. There are so many online resources from FAA documents to assorted commentary from pilots. Some people benefit from a structured style, even classroom courses, while others do extremely well by exploring and learning more independently. A person's background should also be considered.
For me the independent online learning is best in part for the flexibility. Online searches be much more broad then a structured course. The exam was quit easy, completed in way less than the allotted time.
It may have helped that I had real life flying experience from many years.
My learning style is just more independent.

Lots of input on the subject already, but let me give you my perspective. Everyone learns differently. I really appreciate that some formal training like pilot institute was available at a very reasonable rate. I learned a lot, passed the test handily, and for the cost of the course still have access to the materials which they keep up to date.

Despite plenty of drones and drone flying, I seem to learn something new every day that I did not know before by continuing to read, research and practice. I decided recently to also take an in-person class with droneu to fill in the gaps and see what else I haven't learned yet.

Be wary of people that think they know it all and have nothing left to learn. They probably don't know it all, and have some serious blind spots.

"Be wary of people that think they know it all and have nothing left to learn. They probably don't know it all, and have some serious blind spots".
This was a question on the test; I believe it's called "Machoism" . . . and I think I got it right 😂‼️

• Haha
Reactions: TonyPHX
I always refer to getting a certification or license as being a learner's permit. Like others have said, the piece of paper only gives us the go-ahead to build our skills.

Reactions: TonyPHX and BigAl07
PPL here (SEL) and I still suggest the "Structured" course. It's a lifetime membership so if you need to brush up on something or if the regs change you already have access to how it will affect you.

Are you current with your BFR?
Yes, flying and current on BFR

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake