DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 Online Training

Mavic Mac

Reactions
I am in the position where I am probably going to need to get a commercial license to fly a drone for business. Just curious which online training centers members here have used and your opinion of the quality of training received and how well you felt you were prepared to take the test.

I know opinions are like a certain part of our body, everybody has one, but if there is a strong like or dislike for a particular company it will assist me in making my decision.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Want to learn on your own? Use the study guides listed here.

Want to take a course? You can find a list of commonly used online courses here.

Reactions: BigAl07
I have used and HIGHLY recommend Gold Seal UAV Groundschool. Not only are they a top notch and professional Aviation school they are also an Approved Vendor here on the forum so their sponsorship helps to keep the forum FREE for the rest of us.

for free online training, the two usually cited are the tony northrup video and the better b roll one. i started with the tony northrup one, followed by the better b roll one. my initial impression was that the tony one was great and the better b roll one was lacking (and downright funny at times - "here's the answer, i have no idea why...".

i then decided to supplement these videos with a paid course, which was outstanding. after completing that one, i realized that the tony northrup video is actually rather shallow. it's useful, dont get me wrong, but he glosses over a LOT of stuff. after the second viewing, i found new appreciation for the better b roll one. the comical moments notwithstanding, he takes the time to go through 100 or so questions and works through the hows and whys of the answers.

so to sum, i don't think anything will beat a paid course. very thorough, each chapter dedicated to a specific topic, unlimited support, lifetime access etc. as for which one, i'll leave that to you. they all seem rather good and it was tough for me to chose personally. very happy with the one i went with though. i would use the better b roll as a great backup, and the tony northrup one as a useful follow up depending on time. also, i would HIGHLY recommend reading through the FAA's own study guide, especially the sections on load balancing and weather. i made the mistake of ignoring it, only to find that i had a good dozen questions lifted directly from that guide (which i discovered when i read the guide AFTER my test). hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: spicciani2
Thanks for responses Thumbswayup

If I was ready to take the part 107 test where can I find any test center?? Yes I have searched this forum and found nowhere that mentions the actual test facilities

If I was ready to take the part 107 test where can I find any test center?? Yes I have searched this forum and found nowhere that mentions the actual test facilities
Check HERE

Help everyone ! I would like to suggest obtaining a sectional map. Being able to understand and recognize symbols on the map will help with test taking.

Reactions: W5CI
Help everyone ! I would like to suggest obtaining a sectional map. Being able to understand and recognize symbols on the map will help with test taking.
Do a quick Google search and you can find them. Also when you take the test there will be a booklet that will have copies of the maps they base the questions on.

I have tried finding a Sectional map, I called all of the local airports, the FAA in Little Rock and was referred to the State aeronautical commission. they are going to mail me one. Pilots no longer us them as it has gone digital on their phone or iPad . If you can find one you will be lucky

I have tried finding a Sectional map, I called all of the local airports, the FAA in Little Rock and was referred to the State aeronautical commission. they are going to mail me one. Pilots no longer us them as it has gone digital on their phone or iPad . If you can find one you will be lucky
Try FAA site:

I pick one up 2x a year at the local "Air Port" (KAVL) where I fly. Even though we use "electronic" options you should always have a paper copy for then electronics go "Poof Pzzzz"

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi, I’m going through UAVcoaching.com to study for the part 107 certification. I took a hands on drone flight course though Dartdrones. The rules and regulation were straight forward to learn, but I needed help decoding sectionals since 30-40% of the 60 question test uses them. I’ll be taking mine in 2 weeks, the average amount of time to go though the online course is 15-20 hours. Also I noticed that many are offering holiday discounts. I originally tried just google searches/YT video for all the information. But after a week of fishing around for the information in between work, family and flying, it was worth it to me the $ to have it organized, right there for me to absorb. Hope that helps. Blue skies from SoCal.

Hi, I’m going through UAVcoaching.com to study for the part 107 certification. I took a hands on drone flight course though Dartdrones. The rules and regulation were straight forward to learn, but I needed help decoding sectionals since 30-40% of the 60 question test uses them. I’ll be taking mine in 2 weeks, the average amount of time to go though the online course is 15-20 hours. Also I noticed that many are offering holiday discounts. I originally tried just google searches/YT video for all the information. But after a week of fishing around for the information in between work, family and flying, it was worth it to me the $ to have it organized, right there for me to absorb. Hope that helps. Blue skies from SoCal.
Good luck with your test - I f I can pass it I am sure you won't have a problem

Reactions: Skyflyer129
I used remotepilot101 very intuitive and only the information/videos you need directly related to the exam. Its also lifetime and will help for the recurrent testing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR