DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 vs recreational rules

I may apply for 107 soon. One thing to consider: Whenever there's a location photo/video shoot, Location Insurance must be purchased. I'm a photo retoucher, and don't get into those details. But best to be aware. If some shot a real easterner's ad, and the drone crashed through the neighbor's skylight, being uninsured could be disastrous. I participated in a pro bono event for a local park, and the photographer had to secure insurance even though we all worked for free.

Once certified for 107, does that affect how you fly for your own recreational projects? Are 107's bound by any rules that would be more restrictive than recreational fliers (when not working a commercial project)?
Also, I just posted here about Location Insurance for photo/video shoots. I'm guessing that the same would apply to aerial paid work. If a vineyard, real estate brokerage, or retail chain hires a 107 flier, I'm assuming that Location Insurance should be purchased any time the meter is running?

Thanks

A 107 certified pilot can fly as a recreational pilot. The only thing to keep in mind is that the entire flight must fall under one set of rules. So if you take off on a recreational flight, the entire duration of the flight must adhere to the recreational rules only, and visa versa for the commercial side. Being a 107 does not give you any extra ability to mix the rule sets together.

A 107 certified pilot can fly as a recreational pilot. The only thing to keep in mind is that the entire flight must fall under one set of rules. So if you take off on a recreational flight, the entire duration of the flight must adhere to the recreational rules only, and visa versa for the commercial side. Being a 107 does not give you any extra ability to mix the rule sets together.

Very well stated. We can't Mix & Match the rules to fit our wants/needs.

There is no requirement to have Flight Liability Insurance....but it would be foolish not to. You can buy a $1m policy by the hour. Depending on the location and size of the flight area, it can cost from $10 per hour to upwards of $60 or more. For example, a small 1-acre rural property might be $15 per hour, where a large, heavily populated urban area could be $100 per hour. Usually, it will fall somewhere in between this. All the insurance providers I know require you to have your 107.

This cost is easily passed to your client. Just do your groundwork when preparing a bid, get an estimate on the per hour rate and add it to the bid. I add Flight Liability Insurance to EVERY bid and mission I fly. NO Exceptions.

You can also buy an annual policy, but these are expensive. Could be $1300+ per 6 months. Depends on many things of course and where you operate, experience, hours logged...many factors so what I quote here is probably radically different from you and your location. Once your business starts moving it may be an option, but just starting out with sporadic work, the hourly policy is the way to go.

Last edited:
Not sure about grey - it's going to be very hard to argue that you were flying recreationally when the entire purpose was to get video of your performance. If you don't publish the video then almost certainly not a problem provided you don't crash into someone or something while flying, but any use of it, even on your personal pages, is going to spoil that argument.

And unfortunately that doesn't change after you get your Part 107, because it is the intent of the flight at the time that matters, not the use of the material (that's not regulated by Part 107 - it's only a measure of whether the flight was recreational), and commercial use would still clearly make it a Part 107 flight when you were not licensed to do that.
sar104 and part 107 pilots. If you earn a Part 107 license, can you still fly as a recreational pilot? I've read that national parts are more likely to give rec pilots permission over a part 107 pilot.

sar104 and part 107 pilots. If you earn a Part 107 license, can you still fly as a recreational pilot? I've read that national parts are more likely to give rec pilots permission over a part 107 pilot.

Yes we can fly Recreational after getting Part 107 you just have to adhere to whatever set of rules you takeoff with throughout the whole flight.

National Parks don't seem to care of you're P107 or Hobby IMHO. Of course YMMV.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143