DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107

Oman

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Can anyone recommend a good drone,school just looking for a down to earth school I don't need all the hoopla.
Thanks oman

I'am willing to do what it takes.I think my question kinda address those issues.
Thanks for your reply
Oman
How about this...

How do you learn best? (visual, auditory, writing, multimodal, etc)
Do you pick things up quickly and can fill in the blanks on your own, or do you require many details and repetition to get the concepts?
There are many factors. Anyhow...

The default is Pilot Institute. Part 107 Made Easy $149
I did not use them to get my Part 107, even though they most likely have the best program around. Their 107 course is long and detailed. I have enrolled in many of their courses since I got my 107 and they're all good stuff.

For me, I did a 4-hr course from Udemy. (2021) 4hr FAA Part 107 Knowledge Test Prep for Drone Pilots $20
It matched perfectly with how I learn and I was easily able to do well on the test.

There are other programs out there, you're going to have to do your own homework to see what's best for you, and then you will have a better understanding of "what it takes."

FWIW, you can't avoid the hoopla since the majority of the testable information really doesn't apply to the everyday flying of your drone, even commercially. You'll just have to learn to love it all.

I, and I'm sure many others, did not bother with a drone school. All the info is out there and readily available. Get the remote pilot study guide from the FAA, watch a bunch of 107 videos on youtube, and take the many practice tests that are available on the InterWebs. Keep taking them until you can take every one of them without missing a question. I took and easily passed the 107 test with just a few weeks of the above for an hour or two a day. Spend the school money on goodies for your drone!

Reactions: FLDave and Oman
I am about a third of the way thru the Pilot Institute videos and they are great. Just finished up maps and went back and started all over again for a refresher. Ready to do maps again as I am having some problems there and I hear it is a big part of the test.

I am about a third of the way thru the Pilot Institute videos and they are great. Just finished up maps and went back and started all over again for a refresher. Ready to do maps again as I am having some problems there and I hear it is a big part of the test.
Hi I was thinking of the Pilot Institute, they seem to have a good reputation. I also hear the maps are difficult. Good luck.
Keep me posted
Fly Safe Doug

Last edited:
My goal is to be a safe, knowledgeable, intelligent pilot. Here's what I'm doing. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Bought a Kindle book on Amazon. Quickly realized that it was the bare minimum to get me to pass the test if I memorized it.

Scoured the Internet and collected a bunch of docs from the FAA and a bunch of YouTube videos. Quickly realized that the docs were pretty dry and some of the videos were very good, but others were either outdated or "the bare minimum..."

Decided I needed a GOOD exam or flashcard program. Bought the PrepWare program. It's very good and affordable. It's current. Now I'm scoring in the mid to high 90's on all the exams and I feel like I can go pass the test. Quickly realized I wanted to really know the information and not just regurgitate answers. Passing the test is just a formality if you know the information forwards and backwards.

Bought the Pilot Institute course. Why? It's current. The explanations take you deeper than what you need to know if you just want to pass the test. I'll have lifetime access to the course which will come in handy when I'm flying real missions, and when I need to recertify in a few years. I'll be able to ask questions and get answers if I need a better explanation. Their reputation is impeccable.

Also, Pilot Institute is doing a lot for the Drone community. Producing lots of free, and very good, content, among other things. I feel like they should be rewarded for their efforts, we need them around to continue doing what they do.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Good luck with your journey!

My goal is to be a safe, knowledgeable, intelligent pilot. Here's what I'm doing. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Bought a Kindle book on Amazon. Quickly realized that it was the bare minimum to get me to pass the test if I memorized it.

Scoured the Internet and collected a bunch of docs from the FAA and a bunch of YouTube videos. Quickly realized that the docs were pretty dry and some of the videos were very good, but others were either outdated or "the bare minimum..."

Decided I needed a GOOD exam or flashcard program. Bought the PrepWare program. It's very good and affordable. It's current. Now I'm scoring in the mid to high 90's on all the exams and I feel like I can go pass the test. Quickly realized I wanted to really know the information and not just regurgitate answers. Passing the test is just a formality if you know the information forwards and backwards.

Bought the Pilot Institute course. Why? It's current. The explanations take you deeper than what you need to know if you just want to pass the test. I'll have lifetime access to the course which will come in handy when I'm flying real missions, and when I need to recertify in a few years. I'll be able to ask questions and get answers if I need a better explanation. Their reputation is impeccable.

Also, Pilot Institute is doing a lot for the Drone community. Producing lots of free, and very good, content, among other things. I feel like they should be rewarded for their efforts, we need them around to continue doing what they do.

Thanks. for your. Input
Doug

How about this...

How do you learn best? (visual, auditory, writing, multimodal, etc)
Do you pick things up quickly and can fill in the blanks on your own, or do you require many details and repetition to get the concepts?
There are many factors. Anyhow...

The default is Pilot Institute. Part 107 Made Easy $149
I did not use them to get my Part 107, even though they most likely have the best program around. Their 107 course is long and detailed. I have enrolled in many of their courses since I got my 107 and they're all good stuff.

For me, I did a 4-hr course from Udemy. (2021) 4hr FAA Part 107 Knowledge Test Prep for Drone Pilots $20
It matched perfectly with how I learn and I was easily able to do well on the test.

There are other programs out there, you're going to have to do your own homework to see what's best for you, and then you will have a better understanding of "what it takes."

FWIW, you can't avoid the hoopla since the majority of the testable information really doesn't apply to the everyday flying of your drone, even commercially. You'll just have to learn to love it all.
Thanks Doug

Exactly and a good post. As Greg says he is not teaching the test. He is teaching to give you a knowledge of what you are doing and I agree with him some things we really do not need to know as to "What runway or taxiway are you on" "What is the color of the beacon light at a Heliport" etc and updated info and lifetime access. You said it good and the reason I went with them.

Exactly and a good post. As Greg says he is not teaching the test. He is teaching to give you a knowledge of what you are doing and I agree with him some things we really do not need to know as to "What runway or taxiway are you on" "What is the color of the beacon light at a Heliport" etc and updated info and lifetime access. You said it good and the reason I went with them.
Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElNancio