DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 61/107 Recurrent test, No Medical Certificate

rangemaster728

Reactions
I had a question from a Part 61 pilot who is also Part 107; in the time since his last BFR (due soon) he had a ‘silent’ myocardial infarction and had stents installed so his medical can’t be renewed until he takes the evaluation (which includes the wonderful and expensive 12-lead EKG, stress test, etc.) and a review by the FAA medical folks.

Per the FAA he can perform a Biennial Flight Review (ground instruction and flight with a CFI, who is technically PIC) and get a sign-off in the logbook while awaiting his medical and then take the free FAA online recurrency course for Part 61 pilots.

I thought that was a good question...besides, in his way of thinking he’d rather spend $175-ish for the BFR and get a bit of left seat time in a Cessna 152 for his money than spend $150 on CATS and sit in a room taking a computerized test.

I like the way he thinks...

I think that would be fine. Looking at 14 CFR 107.65, someone with a part 61 certificate just needs to have passed a flight review in the last 24 months to use the recurrent training course option for Part 107 currency. There doesn't seem to be a requirement to hold a medical certificate.

I got my 107 without a Medical and did a Flight Review to get current. No problem.

No Medical Certificate needed for Part 107. Even a Sport Pilot Rating is acceptable as long as you are "Current" with your BFR.

A Sport Pilot Certificate requires no medical only a U.S. Drivers License (any state) instead of any type of medical certificate.

@rangemaster728 tell your Part 61 friend that after the new Part 107 Recurrency Training Module goes LIVE next month he won't even have to stay current with his Part 61 at all. He can take the Online Training Module and become Part 107 Current again but.... I also use my Part 107/Part 61 as an excuse to Stay Current with Part 6 lol

No Medical Certificate needed for Part 107. Even a Sport Pilot Rating is acceptable as long as you are "Current" with your BFR.

A Sport Pilot Certificate requires no medical only a U.S. Drivers License (any state) instead of any type of medical certificate.

@rangemaster728 tell your Part 61 friend that after the new Part 107 Recurrency Training Module goes LIVE next month he won't even have to stay current with his Part 61 at all. He can take the Online Training Module and become Part 107 Current again but.... I also use my Part 107/Part 61 as an excuse to Stay Current with Part 6 lol
I think most inactive 61 pilots would agree that it is a good excuse to get some left seat time vs. a trip to a testing center. Interesting however that the new 107 recurrency model would eliminate the 61 currency. As a long time pilot and instructor I do not think the extra level of 61 currency proves much as a drone pilot. Aeronautical knowledge is important but the "air time" for the 61 flight review (formerly known as BFR to the old timers). For those inactive 61 pilots...do not tell your significant other that they are suspending the flight review requirements!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929