DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Passing the Part 107

Yeah, I got it right by guessing on the Convective clue but did not see that info on any of my study info.....
Bummer, They change the questions every test, many remain the same, but I saw several I have never even seen remotely addressed in study material....What is a Convective SIGMET ???

THAT WAS ON MY TEST, TOO! I have never in my life heard that phrase. Never saw it in any study material.

This guy, Jonathan Rupprect, is a Drone attorney and has a website full of good information. Free study guide and more. I used his material to study. Very helpful. Also purchased a DRONE OPERATORS LOGBOOK from Amazon that was authored by him. Nice publication.

Drone Attorney and Legal Assistance - Drone Law Attorney Services - Rupprecht Law, PA
Hi, I did already sign up for the free info at the site you mentioned. I also download alot from FAA too. But there so much info and was hoping to just focus on what is needed on the test.
I just got my Mavic fly more combo yesterday so excited. But I'm going to wait to fly it after I read more on tip and issue with it. Also want to buy accessories and case.

Thanks,
Charlie

Reactions: iSiteAerial
I have no doubt that you'll pass! Not sure if there are any testing centers in your community, but schedule it for the near future!

I have no doubt that you'll pass! Not sure if there are any testing centers in your community, but schedule it for the near future!
There is one very close by. Just not sure when I will be ready to take the test yet. So much going on.....

I regularly scored 92-96% on my practice test I strained to get 87% on the real one I took this Monday. what is a Convective SIGMET ?
I used UAV Groundschool.. I did actually study. I scored high 90S On just about every practice exam I could find. I took the real FAA test this morning and scored 88. I did miss one chart question that I should have got correct.

A convective sigmet is a weather warning area...where you can expect severe weather... thunderstorms, hail etc.. it is indicated on a weather map by a red area that covers the affected area.

I will say this.. not a single question from UAV Groundschool or the practice tests I took were on the test. So you actually do need to understand concepts not memorize answers.

I found the test fairly difficult. I took it with 2 other guys and they both did not pass. One guy showed up cold and scored a 62or 60. The second guy missed passing by 1 question 68 I believe .

Here's another option- the Gleim study courses are kind of the go-to standard in the world of aviation for passing the written tests. Looks like they have one now for the Pt 107 test - about $55. There are probably lots of better ways to actually learn the material, but these are tops for prepping you to take and quickly pass the test.

Drones - Gleim Aviation

I used this course an highly recommend it. The test isn't easy. You need to understand the material.

Reactions: Jblmd2004
I studied for a collective 4 maybe 5 hours over two weeks, didn't spend a dime and passed yesterday with an 87. I'm the first to tell you I'm not that great of a test taker. You don't need to spend anything, especially some of the ridiculous prices being charged these days. I don't understand spending over $300 for a study course, but to each their own.

I found a great YouTube video that covers everything you need to pass. Remember folks, you only need a 70 to pass. A passing score is a passing score whether it's a 100 or a 70. All I did was watch this video a couple of times, took notes, googled other 107 advice websites and took various online free practice tests.

I studied for a collective 4 maybe 5 hours over two weeks, didn't spend a dime and passed yesterday with an 87. I'm the first to tell you I'm not that great of a test taker. You don't need to spend anything, especially some of the ridiculous prices being charged these days. I don't understand spending over $300 for a study course, but to each their own.

I found a great YouTube video that covers everything you need to pass. Remember folks, you only need a 70 to pass. A passing score is a passing score whether it's a 100 or a 70. All I did was watch this video a couple of times, took notes, googled other 107 advice websites and took various online free practice tests.
Congrats. ...I still need to study and take the test, just been to busy with other things.

Reactions: Jblmd2004
A lot of my test dealt with sectional charts, which I found to be the easiest if for nothing else, you have all of the reference points you need right there in the booklet they give you. Don't get me wrong, you want to go over how to read sectional charts and be familiar with them, but, all of the symbols, radio frequencies, altitudes, definitions, etc are all right there in the booklet you have with you during the test. These are the most time consuming though so what you may consider doing is going through all of the questions you can answer fairly quickly and then revisit those time consuming chart questions afterward, especially if you crammed information in your brain right before the test you are worried about forgetting.

I didn't have very many METAR / TAF related questions but just know how to find the relevant information in there. I think I had like 4 or 5 questions dealing with those. With those METAR questions, one approach is to look at your answers and rule out one or two right off the bat by plugging those answers into the chart and seeing the section you are being asked about. If you know the basics of those reports you shouldn't have any problems with those.

Keep in mind these are all multiple choice and they only give you 3 possible answers meaning the process of elimination and logic really help you with the odds if you get stumped.

For me, the 'toughest' parts dealt with odd definitions I don't remember seeing during my studying such as defining the ceiling as defined in aviation. Or, the vertical limit ceiling of class C airspace or something like that. But keep in mind those are only but a few, so even if you get them wrong like I did, you will still pass. You can miss up to 18 questions and still pass!

One thing I suggest is to go back through all of your answers thoroughly before you end your test. I know for a fact I caught two answers I would have gotten wrong because they were trick questions I didn't catch the first time. One of them had the right answer but instead of FAA they put FCC on the answer. (sneaky). The other one I can't remember for sure. However, even if I didn't catch those two, and I missed the weather charts completely, I still would have passed. I took 1 hour and 15 minutes to finish the test and I felt like I was being thorough and not rushed, so the 2 hours they give you is plenty of time to get through this test.

I answered another user through direct messaging with the link to that youtube video I was telling you all about. I didn't know if that was against the rules to post that publicly? I'm not gaining anything by referencing this video, I just like to give credit where credit is due. It was a thorough video with a link to notes as well as reference times to each subject matter in the video so you can go right to various sections you want to revisit.

Do they tell you the score on the spot or you have to wait?.

A lot of my test dealt with sectional charts, which I found to be the easiest if for nothing else, you have all of the reference points you need right there in the booklet they give you. Don't get me wrong, you want to go over how to read sectional charts and be familiar with them, but, all of the symbols, radio frequencies, altitudes, definitions, etc are all right there in the booklet you have with you during the test. These are the most time consuming though so what you may consider doing is going through all of the questions you can answer fairly quickly and then revisit those time consuming chart questions afterward, especially if you crammed information in your brain right before the test you are worried about forgetting.

I didn't have very many METAR / TAF related questions but just know how to find the relevant information in there. I think I had like 4 or 5 questions dealing with those. With those METAR questions, one approach is to look at your answers and rule out one or two right off the bat by plugging those answers into the chart and seeing the section you are being asked about. If you know the basics of those reports you shouldn't have any problems with those.

Keep in mind these are all multiple choice and they only give you 3 possible answers meaning the process of elimination and logic really help you with the odds if you get stumped.

For me, the 'toughest' parts dealt with odd definitions I don't remember seeing during my studying such as defining the ceiling as defined in aviation. Or, the vertical limit ceiling of class C airspace or something like that. But keep in mind those are only but a few, so even if you get them wrong like I did, you will still pass. You can miss up to 18 questions and still pass!

One thing I suggest is to go back through all of your answers thoroughly before you end your test. I know for a fact I caught two answers I would have gotten wrong because they were trick questions I didn't catch the first time. One of them had the right answer but instead of FAA they put FCC on the answer. (sneaky). The other one I can't remember for sure. However, even if I didn't catch those two, and I missed the weather charts completely, I still would have passed. I took 1 hour and 15 minutes to finish the test and I felt like I was being thorough and not rushed, so the 2 hours they give you is plenty of time to get through this test.

I answered another user through direct messaging with the link to that youtube video I was telling you all about. I didn't know if that was against the rules to post that publicly? I'm not gaining anything by referencing this video, I just like to give credit where credit is due. It was a thorough video with a link to notes as well as reference times to each subject matter in the video so you can go right to various sections you want to revisit.

Like many others on this thread, thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience and tips for the test. Videos always make it easier for me to understand things better.

Y

Do they tell you the score on the spot or you have to wait?.

When I finished mine, the examiner came in and entered her password and the answers I got wrong popped up on a screen. She told me to take my time reviewing them before I walked out of the room. I then went to the front desk of the business and at that time she told me my score. However, I knew as soon as she retrieved my wrong answer questions that I passed because I knew I had to miss more than 18. But no, I didn't know my exact score until a few minutes after I was done taking the test.

Like many others on this thread, thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience and tips for the test. Videos always make it easier for me to understand things better.

Y
you're very welcome; glad to help out in any way I can.

Congrats on passing.

Please do post the video link. People post video links here all the time and to the best of my knowledge it is permissible.

Ok sounds good. Here it is. The video I watched two times in full and then reviewed the parts that I needed more time with using the indexed scene markers. As I mentioned before, I googled 'part 107 test advice' and things of that sort to see what else was out there as well as completing various practice tests online. But in the end, I owe the majority of my success with this test to this video.

Reactions: Gp™ and cobra46
Ok sounds good. Here it is. The video I watched two times in full and then reviewed the parts that I needed more time with using the indexed scene markers. As I mentioned before, I googled 'part 107 test advice' and things of that sort to see what else was out there as well as completing various practice tests online. But in the end, I owe the majority of my success with this test to this video.

I agree with this. I watched a few times, and also did several practice tests I found on the internet. I took it Sunday and scored a 93.

I had zero questions about latitude/longitude and only a few weather related.

What was very surprising was that one of the weather questions asked about a METAR remark, even thought everything I read beforehand said not to worry about studying METAR remarks! Mine, by the way, was something like REM RAB07, which I just happened to remember.

Obviously a lot of airspace and Remote PIC questions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000