DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Passing the Part 107

Ok sounds good. Here it is. The video I watched two times in full and then reviewed the parts that I needed more time with using the indexed scene markers. As I mentioned before, I googled 'part 107 test advice' and things of that sort to see what else was out there as well as completing various practice tests online. But in the end, I owe the majority of my success with this test to this video.

That's a great video. I watched it a few weeks ago.

I wonder if a licensed pilot stands a fair chance of passing without studying. From what I've heard on most questions there is one answer that is obviously wrong. If you simply flip a coin between the remaining two answers you get a 50%. That means you only have to absolutely know 12 answers to improve your coin flip 50% score up to 70%.

Reactions: lucky4meman
Every test is much different since they pull from a bank of questions and there is no "standard" test. I think it would be bad information for anyone who has passed to suggest that those who haven't taken the test have nothing to worry about for the simple fact that, your particular bank of questions will be different from someone else's.

If you research enough you can find people who had questions on their test that was never covered in any of the study material they were able to find for free, even that of the FAA.

Reactions: frankiez
9b8839ad1d305e5f52691c5a2964e979.jpg

Remote Pilot Prepware has a bank of questions from the test. I have taken 3 FAA tests in the past and solely used this material to successfully pass all 3 on the first attempt. I had about 4 days to study for each test and used sight recognition only. Once you get to a question, select all the answers and then read the question followed by the correct (green) answer only. Keep beating this into your head until you can successfully pass a practice test with around a 90%. Obviously this won't work as well, if it all, with questions involving charts and what not. The app is updated regularly with new questions and study material.

I passed the test today with a 97%, missing two questions. One miss was bone-headed on my part, because I knew the right answer, but was swayed by misinformation from a youtube study guide. The other question was not covered in anything I've read.

To study, I read the FAA guide a few times, read Ruppecht's material, and ran through the 3DR practice test a few times. I didn't buy any study materials,

One hint in taking the test is to take the time to digest each question before springing to an answer. There were several that had an obvious answer, but if you took another moment, the real answer became apparent. For one question about an airport located on a sectional, the fast answer was to contact ATC. But once you observed that the field in question was magenta, the quick answer became invalid - so watch for things like that. Heights of tower obstructions, maximum flight height below low clouds, humidity vs performance - all had questions.

Thanks to this thread and other info around the web I passed the test today with an 87% score. (Scheduled yesterday :D - missed 8 questions perhaps I should re-read a few things....)
Lots of questions regarding airspace especially understanding where B,C,D,E & G floor and ceiling are at.
Minimal weather questions (only 2-3 reading the METAR / TAF)
Fun.

I have noticed MANY placed keep re-using the same 40-80 practice questions (youtube, 3DR etc...) perhaps someone else can at some point will produce better practice tests with a little more complex questions.

Lastly, anyone know if you can register the same sUAS under both 48.110 and 48.115 (hobby and commercial)?

Lots of questions regarding airspace especially understanding where B,C,D,E & G floor and ceiling are at.
Minimal weather questions (only 2-3 reading the METAR / TAF)
Fun.

I have noticed MANY placed keep re-using the same 40-80 practice questions (youtube, 3DR etc...) perhaps someone else can at some point will produce better practice tests with a little more complex questions.

Lastly, anyone know if you can register the same sUAS under both 48.110 and 48.115 (hobby and commercial)?

I am taking my test next week. Did you have to use the Navigational Chart during the test?.

I'm considering starting the process of gathering information and studying for the Part 107. Reason is that I've had a few opportunities lately to do small jobs for people that I've passed on.The thought of making a little money on the side doing something fun is appealing. But I want to ask what are the pro's and con's of having a license? Any? Is it just the thing to do? I'd rather stay above board then feel like I'm sneaking around doing something illegal.

Advantage of remaining a hobbyist is that you can fly at night and you can fly within 5 miles of an airport by simply notifying the airport.

Advantage of having a 107 cert is that you can fly in class G airspace without notifying anyone. Lots of small uncontrolled airports are class G up to 700 ft. another obvious advantage is you can fly for money.

Disadvantage of having a 107 is that you must obtain a waiver to to fly at night or within any airspace other than class G. The current waiver process is a joke and can take up to 90 days. The FAA recognizes this is an issue and is working to fix it.....at the speed of government.

Advantage of remaining a hobbyist is that you can fly at night and you can fly within 5 miles of an airport by simply notifying the airport.

Advantage of having a 107 cert is that you can fly in class G airspace without notifying anyone. Lots of small uncontrolled airports are class G up to 700 ft. another obvious advantage is you can fly for money.

Disadvantage of having a 107 is that you must obtain a waiver to to fly at night or within any airspace other than class G. The current waiver process is a joke and can take up to 90 days. The FAA recognizes this is an issue and is working to fix it.....at the speed of government.

Just because you have a 107 doesn't mean you can't fly as a hobbyist... as long as your not flying at night for commercial purpose you're fine.

Reactions: ToddR and RC5728
Do you mean the sectional charts? Yes you have to be able to read & understand them.

Any chart questions references EXACT figures in the Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement. They didn't have any graphics on the computer screen at all (unlike the 3DR sample questions), only txt.

Passed mine last week with an 88% my test had the maps on the screen...but were pretty useless I had to use the testing supplement. I also had at least one question about the height of a tower xxNM from airport XXXX keep in mind the chart in the book is NOT in scale so I used scrap paper using the scale on the chart... Found the tower they were trying to reference I think it was something like 1948agl NONE of the multiple choice answers were that the closest one was like 1949 or something. Overall I felt the test was pretty easy but that may have come from my previous manned flight experience. The 3DR I feel was pretty spot on to the test.

Also be prepared to understand all the drug and alcohol regulations.

My only other tip to someone taking the test Is go through all the questions if you're not 100% sure on the answer make a little tally mark on the scrap paper that way when you get to the end BEFORE hitting submit you should have a good idea of how many you might have gotten wrong you will have a chance to go back and fix them.

Did anyone have to convert Lat. and Long. decimal to minutes and seconds?. Just curious, I spent about 30 minutes this morning working through the math.

Did anyone have to convert Lat. and Long. decimal to minutes and seconds?. Just curious, I spent about 30 minutes this morning working through the math.

Nope didn't have any questions relating to Lat. long. I spent a lot of time going over it too. Most Map questions I had were airspace and find X tower. 80% of my test were regulation questions.

If you research enough you can find people who had questions on their test that was never covered in any of the study material they were able to find for free, even that of the FAA.

I agree wholeheartedly. There were questions on my test that had me saying "huh?!" I got a 90% on my score.

I had 1 question that asked what was the height of the tallest tower in a bank of towers on a sectional chart. Out of the 3 answers listed NONE were the highest. I picked the obvious one. One was a tower height. The other 2 answers were not even listed as any of the tower heights.

I had 1 question that asked what was the height of the tallest tower in a bank of towers on a sectional chart. Out of the 3 answers listed NONE were the highest. I picked the obvious one. One was a tower height. The other 2 answers were not even listed as any of the tower heights.
The one that I had about tower height actually required a subtraction problem. Think I had to subtract to get an actual tower height - whatever it was, I got the correct answer.

Reactions: frankiez
For those of you that used the PrepWare app and it's practice tests...did you feel that the practice tests were current/relevant to the actual test questions? I've been scoring in the high 80's, lower 90's% on the practice tests, but the skeptical side of me can't help but wonder if the app is a bit out-dated, and there's other information I might be missing that will show up on the real test.

I've seen a lot of people recommend that course here and over at PhantomPilots.com. If I take the test, I'm definitely going to buy that course. I know I could do the research myself, but I'm all about trading money to save a lot of time.
I liked the post you sent me and would like to keep it for review. I did a search and couldn’t find it- I past The 107.. can you reference its location,please.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karthikeyan103