DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PC specs for video processing

M4RK

Reactions
Hi guys

Sadly, my PC just isn't up to processing 4K video from my Mavic.

I need to think about replacing it, but for the relatively short clips from the drone, I dont really want to spend a fortune on a machine that's going to have the capability to be complete boss of the job.

Could people maybe list their machine specs or their recommendations...?

Unfortunately the replacement is unlikely to be a Mac :-(

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have an ageing i5 2500k running at 4.6ghz with a similarly ageing HD7970, 8gb ram, 3 x SSD, 1 x HDD, blah and it copes but does take a long time.. A 3 minute 4K clip in Magix Edit Pro Premium takes around 15 to 30 minutes to process depending upon what effects I've added.

Last edited:
I built my own computer, so I know It's specs inside and out.

I have an 8-core 4.7 GHz processor, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD with a 2TB redundancy backup HDD, an NVIDIA GTX 980Ti.

I have 2 4K monitors connected with a 60Hz refresh rate and one of my older monitors attached, and it runs smooth.

This computer is an absolute beast in about everything. The tower itself is about $1800 in parts, and runs surprisingly cool and quiet. I built this about a year ago after scrounging up the money to build it.

Reactions: Prismatic
I built my own computer, so I know It's specs inside and out.

I have an 8-core 4.7 GHz processor, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD with a 2TB redundancy backup HDD, an NVIDIA GTX 980Ti.

I have 2 4K monitors connected with a 60Hz refresh rate and one of my older monitors attached, and it runs smooth.

This computer is an absolute beast in about everything. The tower itself is about $1800 in parts, and runs surprisingly cool and quiet. I built this about a year ago after scrounging up the money to build it.

How does it cope with 4K processing? Which cpu is that?

How does it cope with 4K processing? Which cpu is that?
I haven't done much video processing yet, since I snap mostly photos, but considering I can game 4K quite easily with it, given a decent video editor for Windows, I would say it handles it well.

As for the processor it's an AMD processor.

I haven't done much video processing yet, since I snap mostly photos, but considering I can game 4K quite easily with it, given a decent video editor for Windows, I would say it handles it well.

As for the processor it's an AMD processor.
I should also point out, that the specs must be compatible with the software. Good video editors route the processing and compiling of the video through the GPU to accelerate the process. Other editors use the CPU which is very inefficient and makes processing slow.

I think you'll find that isn't always possible or sensible, e.g. Premier Pro is I believe cpu bound..

I think you'll find that isn't always possible or sensible, e.g. Premier Pro is I believe cpu bound..
If you have an insanely good CPU, then any editor will do, but you'll want a CPU that benchmarks higher than mine.

No, what I meant was you said "Good video editors route the processing and compiling of the video through the GPU to accelerate the process. Other editors use the CPU which is very inefficient and makes processing slow."

I was merely pointing out the fact that PP is one of the 'leading' editors and yet it is cpu bound.. That presumably is for good reason. :)

No, what I meant was you said "Good video editors route the processing and compiling of the video through the GPU to accelerate the process. Other editors use the CPU which is very inefficient and makes processing slow."

I was merely pointing out the fact that PP is one of the 'leading' editors and yet it is cpu bound.. That presumably is for good reason. :)
And what reason would that be. It should take advantage of the GPU if it's able to. It will speed up processing by a factor of 5 at least.

And what reason would that be. It should take advantage of the GPU if it's able to. It will speed up processing by a factor of 5 at least.

No idea, maybe ask Adobe, I'm sure they have a good reason for it, after all they do know a thing or two about this sort of stuff. :)

What evidence do you have for those very bold claims? What software specifically are you referring to that will speed up by a factor of at least 5? I might give it a go..

No idea, maybe ask Adobe, I'm sure they have a good reason for it, after all they do know a thing or two about this sort of stuff. :)

What evidence do you have for those very bold claims? What software specifically are you referring to that will speed up by a factor of at least 5? I might give it a go..
The GPU is inherently way more efficient in processing that the CPU. I have video conversion software that can run on the CPU or can use GPU acceleration. I did two tests one with CPU and one with GPU and the GPU converted 5 times faster for me.

Hmm, that's all a little anecdotal isn't it. What video conversion software are you referring to? I'm genuinely interested.

Hmm, that's all a little anecdotal isn't it. What video conversion software are you referring to? I'm genuinely interested.

I haven't used it in a while and this was used on an older PC but it was made by Xilisoft. I don't use it anymore because my license expired and I wasn't able to install it on my new computer, so I moved on to something that allowed for a permanent license. Unfortunately it's CPU bound but it does do a fairly decent job with 4K.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18