DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Performance of iPad mini 2 with latest iOS - 12.1.2?

PropSpin

Reactions
I would like to get a dedicated device for my drone w/out shelling out way more $$$ than I already have. Some people have said that their mini 2 is working fine, others not so much. Some seem to indicate that if you go above iOS 11.2 you'll start having trouble, but a lot of posts don't seem to be very conclusive as to what works or what doesn't - in terms of iOS, storage size, etc.
I've seen that iOS 12 is supposed to offer better performance.

So, anybody out there with either an iPad mini 2 or 3 with the latest (12.1.2) iOS that can attest to good performance?

I'd be looking at buying an essentially new iPad mini 2, 16GB, wifi/cellular for around $170. They were apparently a batch that sat around unused at some company's facility.

Thanks!

I bought a used mini 2 16Gb w/cellular locally for $100 and it worked fine the very limited time I used it. I also bought a mini 4 16Gb w/cellular for $200 a few days later because I wanted the print reader mainly. I really don't see that much difference between them, but I already had a mini 4 for daily use, so I was spoiled by the print unlock. I can give my mini 2 to my grandson.

I bought a used mini 2 16Gb w/cellular locally for $100 and it worked fine the very limited time I used it. I also bought a mini 4 16Gb w/cellular for $200 a few days later because I wanted the print reader mainly. I really don't see that much difference between them, but I already had a mini 4 for daily use, so I was spoiled by the print unlock. I can give my mini 2 to my grandson.
The 4 has a faster processor that should make a difference at some point, or currently depending on software versions and configuration.
What iOS are you running on the mini 4? How about DJI Go 4?

I'm running 12.1.1 on the mini 4 and 12.1 on the mini 2. I realize the processors are continually updated but they don't seem to be very different in day to day performance from my experience. I am running the Go4 current version I believe. I'd buy the 4 if you can, you'll spend a little more but they are pretty nice. I have one that is still JailBroken I use daily and love it. Both of the others I bought to use for drones. They seem to be the perfect size and thin, sturdy and fast also. There is currently a Sprint mini 4 on Swappa right now for $200. All iPads are unlocked, and they all have the same bands for cellular, so it will work with every carrier.

Added: I just got a service return today on a repair and it looks like a new drone and controller, so I can't specify the Go4 version yet.

I'm running 12.1.1 on the mini 4 and 12.1 on the mini 2. I realize the processors are continually updated but they don't seem to be very different in day to day performance from my experience. I am running the Go4 current version I believe. I'd buy the 4 if you can, you'll spend a little more but they are pretty nice. I have one that is still JailBroken I use daily and love it. Both of the others I bought to use for drones. They seem to be the perfect size and thin, sturdy and fast also. There is currently a Sprint mini 4 on Swappa right now for $200. All iPads are unlocked, and they all have the same bands for cellular, so it will work with every carrier.

Added: I just got a service return today on a repair and it looks like a new drone and controller, so I can't specify the Go4 version yet.
Thanks. I found a mini 4 16GB, used in excellent condition w/ cellular for $234, shipped on ebay. Nice to know they can operate w/ any carrier although I don't plan on getting a sim card for it. I just wanted the GPS capability.

I would like to get a dedicated device for my drone w/out shelling out way more $$$ than I already have. Some people have said that their mini 2 is working fine, others not so much. Some seem to indicate that if you go above iOS 11.2 you'll start having trouble, but a lot of posts don't seem to be very conclusive as to what works or what doesn't - in terms of iOS, storage size, etc.
I've seen that iOS 12 is supposed to offer better performance.

So, anybody out there with either an iPad mini 2 or 3 with the latest (12.1.2) iOS that can attest to good performance?

I'd be looking at buying an essentially new iPad mini 2, 16GB, wifi/cellular for around $170. They were apparently a batch that sat around unused at some company's facility.

Thanks.

I have the mavic 2 pro and the phantom 4 pro. I wanted to do the same thing have a dedicated device without spending a ton of money I use the iPad mini 2 cellular version. I have the latest updates of all the DJI software all my firmware is up to date and I have absolutely no issues whatsoever. I'm not an apple person everything I have is Android but every Android device that I attempted to use gave me multiple issues. So I decided to switch to a dedicated iPad mini and I chose the iPad mini 2 again with no issues.

I have the mavic 2 pro and the phantom 4 pro. I wanted to do the same thing have a dedicated device without spending a ton of money I use the iPad mini 2 cellular version. I have the latest updates of all the DJI software all my firmware is up to date and I have absolutely no issues whatsoever. I'm not an apple person everything I have is Android but every Android device that I attempted to use gave me multiple issues. So I decided to switch to a dedicated iPad mini and I chose the iPad mini 2 again with no issues.
Cool. Glad to hear the mini 2 is working for you. I would have looked for an Android solution, but having no real option to prevent the remote from charging the mobile device was unacceptable for me. My moto g4 play phone that's a few years old works fine, but there's the charging issue, plus a bit larger screen would be nice too.

Reactions: Krvelasco
Cool. Glad to hear the mini 2 is working for you. I would have looked for an Android solution, but having no real option to prevent the remote from charging the mobile device was unacceptable for me. My moto g4 play phone that's a few years old works fine, but there's the charging issue, plus a bit larger screen would be nice too.
I had the same issues with my Android devices it kept wanting to kick them into charge mode. All is good now happy flying

Reactions: PropSpin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones