DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Permission to fly granted by tower, but denied by djiGo4?

scoobie77

Reactions
Twice recently I've received permission to fly near an airport - directly in the flight path - as long as I stayed under 200 feet. However, when I tried to fly the first time my Mav hit an invisible wall. It would not fly across that invisible border that marked the flight path. It simply stopped forward motion when it came to that map line. In a similar situation, after receiving permission, I was already in the flight path, about three miles from the airport. However, my Mav simply would not take off, and the controller returned the message "NFZ". In both cases, I was trying to do some low altitude real estate work and the control tower knew exactly where I was. Was the control tower operator in error? Or was I just foolish thinking I could fly into flight path with permission? Is there a work-around in this situation?

Its great news that you are flying responsibly . I am assuming you are part 107 Certified and taking Real Estate Photos.

You must visit the DJI online website to unlock a NFZ . The site will provide a code that is good for 3 days (last I checked) that will allow you to unlock and fly in that NFZ.

Visit DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Reactions: Acclaim Media
Twice recently I've received permission to fly near an airport - directly in the flight path - as long as I stayed under 200 feet. However, when I tried to fly the first time my Mav hit an invisible wall. It would not fly across that invisible border that marked the flight path. It simply stopped forward motion when it came to that map line. In a similar situation, after receiving permission, I was already in the flight path, about three miles from the airport. However, my Mav simply would not take off, and the controller returned the message "NFZ". In both cases, I was trying to do some low altitude real estate work and the control tower knew exactly where I was. Was the control tower operator in error? Or was I just foolish thinking I could fly into flight path with permission? Is there a work-around in this situation?
How do you think the DJI Go 4 app would know you talked to the tower?

In addition to what sar104 wrote about using the LAANC system for commercial purposes, there is a clearly spelled out system for unlocking an NFZ through DJI for non-commercial purposes. You can read about it here: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

It’s my understanding that a hobbyist flyer does NOT need permission from the airfield manager or tower but simply advise that you will be flying in their airspace. I’ve never asked for permission, just simply advised them that I would be flying a UAV at coordinates xyz at xyz feet at xyz time - xyz time, they say “okey dokey”. Never had anyone challenge me??

No challenge from the tower. it's just my first time running into push-back from my drone and learning what to do about it.

It’s my understanding that a hobbyist flyer does NOT need permission from the airfield manager or tower but simply advise that you will be flying in their airspace. I’ve never asked for permission, just simply advised them that I would be flying a UAV at coordinates xyz at xyz feet at xyz time - xyz time, they say “okey dokey”. Never had anyone challenge me??

The OP is flying under Part 107, and so should not even be calling the tower for authorization. He needs direct authorization from the FAA. That authorization might end up requiring coordination with the tower, but it's not the first step.

Reactions: dwolfe002
How do you think the DJI Go 4 app would know you talked to the tower?

Do I really need to explain it?
DJI are Chinese and are spying on everything.
They would have monitored the phone call to the tower.....
Simple really!

Please "click here" to visit my web site on the Real Alternative Facts that the earth is flat and Illuminati run the world.
:)

(Sorry, its the end of a very long week)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair