DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PfCO / A2 CofC

Hiwayman

Reactions
Am I missing something? ....As a PfCO holder for three years, when flying for hobby...am I more restricted than an A 2 CofC holder?
Flying M2Ps under the current code, I need to stay 150m from congested areas, but a holder of A2 CofC can get to within 50 m.
If I'm reading this correctly, it appears a little unfair and unjustifiable.
I know I will have to do the A2 CofC before too long, but in the meantime ☹️

@Hiwayman just had a look at the legacy drones in the A2 category and it does say that to be able to fly under the 50m rule you will need the A2 C of C ,but that only applies if you can do the flight under the open category ,i would have thought that having your PfCO would then allow you to fly in the specific category ,dont forget the distinction between hobby and commercial ,will be gone after the 31st of December this year ,and the PfCO in its present form will no longer be based on having passed that course it will be called the GVC i have just looked on UAVHUB and they are doing a PfCO to GVC conversion course to allow you to still fly in the specific category before your PfCO runs out,its ironic really when you think about it here we are on the brink of leaving the EU and we are basically adopting their rules for flying a drone

I have just renewed my PfCO with the intention of letting the dust settle on all these changes, knowing I can continue to operate as previously.
I just think that a new A2cofc holder appears to have more freedom than an experienced PfCO holder.
I appreciate your reply... thank you

Reactions: old man mavic
I guess they really want PfCO to do the GVS crossover.
The "problem" they have is A2CoC is likely all that a lot of people will need for commercial operators rending GVC far less useful than the old PfCO was under the current regs. A2CoC also hasnt got the huge annual renewal fee.

I guess they really want PfCO to do the GVS crossover.
The "problem" they have is A2CoC is likely all that a lot of people will need for commercial operators rending GVC far less useful than the old PfCO was under the current regs. A2CoC also hasnt got the huge annual renewal fee.
Someone will be glad there's less manuals to approve ?

Im currently revising for my C of C with my MA2...and according to the documentation I cannot fly over 'anything or anyone at any time'....Looks like Im grounded then....lolol.

Someone will be glad there's less manuals to approve ?

"Oh look, they've used this standard template like the other 400...".

The people biggest hit will be the PfCO training companies although you can argue the extortionate pricing on a lot of that is somewhat of their own doing.

@Cymru ,yes got it on my Sky Wise app today ,its quite heavy going in places ,but it lays out what the air space rules for the UK will be from the 1st Jan 2021 some interesting parts with respect to our drone flying ,in relation to NFZ and restricted airspace ,and permissions around airports and the onus on the PIC and registered drown owner in respect of deciding where and when to fly ,it seems to have been updated to fall into line with the new EASA based rules coming on line

@Hiwayman just had a look at the legacy drones in the A2 category and it does say that to be able to fly under the 50m rule you will need the A2 C of C ,but that only applies if you can do the flight under the open category ,i would have thought that having your PfCO would then allow you to fly in the specific category ,dont forget the distinction between hobby and commercial ,will be gone after the 31st of December this year ,and the PfCO in its present form will no longer be based on having passed that course it will be called the GVC i have just looked on UAVHUB and they are doing a PfCO to GVC conversion course to allow you to still fly in the specific category before your PfCO runs out,its ironic really when you think about it here we are on the brink of leaving the EU and we are basically adopting their rules for flying a drone
Interestingly, I've had a response from CAA confirming that as a PfCO holder I can fly in congested areas under the constraints detailed in my OM on non commercial flights, just with the commercial aspects of the OM removed .

Reactions: old man mavic
@Hiwayman thats good news then ,thanks for your reply

Reactions: Hiwayman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marus