DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PfCO and Mini 2

Hiwayman

Reactions
So, armed with my PfCO and my M2P and commercial insurance, I can continue to do commercial work. But, if my work only requires me to use my Mini 2, as long as I have the insurance in place I'm free to fly without all the paperwork and signatures required under the terms of my PfCO ....Am I understanding this correctly ?

only if you can conduct the flight within the open category rules, otherwise you come under the specific category ,but there is no requirement to have a PFCO, or as its now called a GVC to do work for payment other than insurance cover for third parties, you still have to follow the requirements with regards to your location for the flight as before

Reactions: Hiwayman
only if you can conduct the flight within the open category rules, otherwise you come under the specific category ,but there is no requirement to have a PFCO, or as its now called a GVC to do work for payment other than insurance cover for third parties, you still have to follow the requirements with regards to your location for the flight as before
So, yes, in the open category... insurance in place and all good ?
Of course years of experience under PfCO will naturally generate a level of mental risk assessment etc...but a lot of form filling appears to have disappeared ?

Reactions: Mavic 57
to be honest the new rules are a lot better for anyone with a MM or Mini2 i took my A2 Cof C mainly, so i could benefit from the relaxed rules with them, and when the new C rated drones begin to be made, and even my MPP can be flown with less separation from uninvolved people in the A2 category for the next two years

Reactions: Hiwayman

If I'm reading this correctly are you saying that you don't need a PfCO when using the Mini 2 for commercial work if you are operating within the open category rules?

You only need some form of special insurance?

If I'm reading this correctly are you saying that you don't need a PfCO when using the Mini 2 for commercial work if you are operating within the open category rules?

You only need some form of special insurance?
yes anyone flying a drone can now receive payment ,if their videos or pics are used commercially

Reactions: gb3
yes anyone flying a drone can now receive payment ,if their videos or pics are used commercially

Great that is good to know I don't need a PfCO to use the Mini 2 commercially, saves a lot of money.

Do you have insurance to cover commercial use? If so what company with?

I've seen coverdrone commercial drone insurance being promoted by some people, but it seems quite expensive, around £150 for a years cover, would expect a lot cheaper than that.

That quote doesnt sound too far out.
There are some people that'll do it on a per-flight basis otherwise.

@gb3 i dont fly for commercial purposes i have third party liability with FPV UK as a member,
i used to be with BMFA ,and just remember the flight has to be able to be conducted under the open category, its all about risk involved now

Reactions: Lastrexking
Its the public liability etc needed that puts the premium for commercial up.

Are there any official sources from the CAA etc. that explicitly state you don't need a PfCO to do commercial work with a drone like the Mini 2 as it is under 250g as long as you stick to the open category rules?

I know someone has already said you don't need a PfCO for commercial work with it, but I would feel more comfortable seeing it in black and white from an official source.

Also is there an official source that says a commercial drone insurance policy is actually needed for commercial work with a Mini 2 operating within open category rules? I don't want to waste £150 on an insurance policy I don't actually need.

There are yep.
PfCO can be converted to GVC for specific operations but the EASA rules adapted no longer make the commercial distinction regardless of drone category.
They do however have the insurance legal requirement.
So any operations compliant with a category make to distinction as to what you do. Provided you have compliant insurance.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP2008_EU_Drone_Rules_Factsheet_V7 6.pdf factsheet has it at the bottom, full details in CAP722 (Page 84 and elsewhere).

1612809268776.png

There are yep.
PfCO can be converted to GVC for specific operations but the EASA rules adapted no longer make the commercial distinction regardless of drone category.
They do however have the insurance legal requirement.
So any operations compliant with a category make to distinction as to what you do. Provided you have compliant insurance.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP2008_EU_Drone_Rules_Factsheet_V7 6.pdf factsheet has it at the bottom, full details in CAP722 (Page 84 and elsewhere).

View attachment 123485

Great thanks for the info, very helpful.

As far as I understand I don't need the GVC or the A2CofC for commercial operations?

Coverdrone seem to offer insurance for commercial operations and don't require you to have any courses.

Some drone course operators must be annoyed that Mini 2 pilots don't need to pay for any training courses anymore.

If you're operating within the restrictions of the particular category you dont need GVC or A2CoC correct.

The insurance must be EC785/2004 compliant though not just a user level cover.

And yes, PfCO used to be a massively overpriced money earning for the sector. The EASA and A2CoC rules now rendering it a lot less desirable as most drones (not just mini) can operate commercially without it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC