DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone rings

G Flash

Reactions
As I wait for my Mavic to show up, something occurred to me. Maybe I missed this somewhere but I was wondering what happens when your phone rings while you're flying and you're using your phone as the display? [emoji15]

The same thing as when you're using other apps. The Mavic is flown with the remote controller, so an interruption in the DJI GO app will not interrupt your flight. You can put your phone in airplane mode so the calls don't bother you.

Yeah that's what I figured. I just didn't know if the app automatically puts it in airplane mode or that's something you have to do manually. Can't have those pesky calls come in while I'm flying. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-N930T using MavicPilots mobile app

If you put the phone in Airplane mode that would stop 3G/4G cellular connectivity. Is that ok with the app?
Wouldn't be 3G/4G necessary for downloading maps etc?

Maybe, Do Not Disturb (DND) on iphones could be another option?

Now it gets trickier when you're flying in wifi mode without the controller.

If you put the phone in Airplane mode that would stop 3G/4G cellular connectivity. Is that ok with the app?
Wouldn't be 3G/4G necessary for downloading maps etc?

Maybe, Do Not Disturb (DND) on iphones could be another option?

With the DJI GO app if you know were you are going to fly you can cache the map in the app before you set off so you don't need to download when flying.

Linked from another forum member.

Another thing to consider is overtemping your phone. A buddy of mine was flying his Autel X-Star one day in the direct Las Vegas sun and his iPad overheated. Luckily he was still LOS and just hit the RTH button and it came back.

Reactions: roedaal
I have no idea why anyone would not put their device in airplane mode whilst flying.
One, you should have as least distractions as possible and concentrate on your aircraft
Two, there is a possibility that the cellular signal (if amplitude is ramped) of the phone handshaking with a cell site could swamp the front end of the Mavic remote RX.
Three, if the App crashes/closes (possibly due to taking an incoming call/text/FaceSpace garbage it can in some circumstances take a few seconds for the USB port to release - this can temporarily hold up control via the remote to your aircraft.

Mitigate the risks - put it in airplane mode.

I have no idea why anyone would not put their device in airplane mode whilst flying.
One, you should have as least distractions as possible and concentrate on your aircraft
Two, there is a possibility that the cellular signal (if amplitude is ramped) of the phone handshaking with a cell site could swamp the front end of the Mavic remote RX.
Three, if the App crashes/closes (possibly due to taking an incoming call/text/FaceSpace garbage it can in some circumstances take a few seconds for the USB port to release - this can temporarily hold up control via the remote to your aircraft.

Mitigate the risks - put it in airplane mode.
Will the phone still work as the controller if it is in airplane mode? It would seem all that (gps, maps, etc) would be cut off. I really need to now myself because my phone rang 30 ft. off the ground on my last flight. I could see the caller name of the caller, didn't see what was happening on the flight, just hover hopefully. I didn't accept the call and it was over, all control came back to the controller. I really don't want any phone interruptions at all during flight time. What if the phone decides to up grade some random app? Yiks.

Will the phone still work as the controller if it is in airplane mode? It would seem all that (gps, maps, etc) would be cut off. I really need to now myself because my phone rang 30 ft. off the ground on my last flight. I could see the caller name of the caller, didn't see what was happening on the flight, just hover hopefully. I didn't accept the call and it was over, all control came back to the controller. I really don't want any phone interruptions at all during flight time. What if the phone decides to up grade some random app? Yiks.
Adjust the phone settings to send all calls to voicemail and block any software phone app DL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu