DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phones and firmware

Oman

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello
I just updated the new firmware for my Mini 2 and Air2S and. Noticed that that they deleted the Samsung galaxy S7 and the Samsung galaxy S7 edge from their recommended devices. So now what do I.do, is it safe to fly are they still compatible. Do I have to buy new phones or tablets ? If anybody has some information please let me know.
Thank you Oman Good old Dji

Hello
I just updated the new firmware for my Mini 2 and Air2S and. Noticed that that they deleted the Samsung galaxy S7 and the Samsung galaxy S7 edge from their recommended devices. So now what do I.do, is it safe to fly are they still compatible. Do I have to buy new phones or tablets ? If anybody has some information please let me know.
Thank you Oman Good old Dji
It's probably fine to continue using the phone that has been working for you.
DJI's list doesn't mean much.

have you tried the App out to see if it still works

No worried about damage if something happens
Thanks oman
PS it starts up I I'am concerned about flying.
It will be just fine to fly.
The worst that could happen would be that the app wouldn't properly run, which is unlikely if it previously ran properly.
But even if the app didn't run properly, you would still have control of the drone anyway.
Try it and see,

I suspect all that DJI haved one is removed some older models from their list.
But that doesn't mean anything for the ability of your phone to run the app as it always has.

Reactions: maggior
Just curious. What was the reason for the update?
Was it having a problem prior to the update?

Just curious. What was the reason for the update?
Was it having a problem prior to the update?
With the latest firmware you can no longer downgrade to a previous version. It's a way for dji to prevent someone from doing things like geofence unlock or anything else they don't want you to do. It's China controlling your device.

With DJI I always do what the the old proverb says, if ain't broke, don't fix it. Often the new firmware is worse than its predecessor.

With the latest firmware you can no longer downgrade to a previous version. It's a way for dji to prevent someone from doing things like geofence unlock or anything else they don't want you to do. It's China controlling your device.
Correct, and that information is why post #9 are words to live by.

Reactions: Faster
It's probably fine to continue using the phone that has been working for you.
DJI's list doesn't mean much.
I agree. I'd check the specs for what you're using and see if the CPU is 64bit. If it is, I'm betting it is compatible, and will stay that way.

I agree. I'd check the specs for what you're using and see if the CPU is 64bit. If it is, I'm betting it is compatible, and will stay that way.
64-bit and 3GB ram minimum seems to be the magic combination. Can use even an old Moto X4 as a drone controller if I keep it free of unnecessary apps (though on mine I did a custom rom to Android 12, since the latest official on that model is Android 8).

The Samsung S7 is from 2016 (about a year older than the Moto X4), came with 4GB Ram on either it's 32GB or 64GB storage model. The S7 and S6 were 64-bit (Quad Core Kryo on the S7), the S5 and before were 32-bit. I think the latest android Samsung officially offers for the S7 was 8.0 which is rather dated by now. Though the custom rom Lineage 18.1 (Android 11) rom is Stable presently for the S7, with LineageOS 19.1 (Android 12L) still having some kinks to work out. But usually you have to download the DJI Fly Apk directly from DJI's website when using most custom roms as they won't show up in the play store.

64-bit and 3GB ram minimum seems to be the magic combination. Can use even an old Moto X4 as a drone controller if I keep it free of unnecessary apps (though on mine I did a custom rom to Android 12, since the latest official on that model is Android 8).

The Samsung S7 is from 2016 (about a year older than the Moto X4), came with 4GB Ram on either it's 32GB or 64GB storage model. The S7 and S6 were 64-bit (Quad Core Kryo on the S7), the S5 and before were 32-bit. I think the latest android Samsung officially offers for the S7 was 8.0 which is rather dated by now. Though the custom rom Lineage 18.1 (Android 11) rom is Stable presently for the S7, with LineageOS 19.1 (Android 12L) still having some kinks to work out. But usually you have to download the DJI Fly Apk directly from DJI's website when using most custom roms as they won't show up in the play store.
Yes, when I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, using the Tab A7 Lite I got on the web and went to DJI.com and to the DJI Store. I scanned the QR code for the DJI Fly app and ran the apk. DJI Fly loaded just fine and has worked well on the Tab A7 Lite. I think the Fly app hasn't been on the Play Store in quite some time.

Last edited:
Yes, when I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, using the Tab A7 I got on the web and went to DJI.com and to the DJI Store. I scanned the QR code for the DJI Fly app and ran the apk. DJI Fly loaded just fine and has worked well on the Tab A7 Lite. I think the Fly app hasn't been on the Play Store in quite some time.
It shows up in the play store for my A71 and likewise Galaxy Tab S7+ , without using any custom roms or such. Did try it on an A7 (10.4" not the light), which does show in the play store, but the A7 has at least 3GB ram. Not sure why it wouldn't show up for the A7 Lite since that also has the minimum 3GB ram too, unless DJI only really lets it show for devices they've tested.

What's the matter with me? When I first got my Mini 2, I flew it with my phone, a Galaxy S7. It ran DJI Fly fine, and is now working fine (except that booting up is slow as molasses). But that's with DJI Mino and the Osmo Pocket.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada