DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo quality

TonyP

Reactions
Hi all,

I have DJI Mavic Pro platinum, video quality is great but photos not so much, I can’t work out why they are poor quality. Any advice please?

Thank you

Tony

When I had one of these printed out it wasn't very good quality. This was at a local printing shop so I know it wasn't the printer.

Attachments

• DJI_0152.JPG
    DJI_0152.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 74
  • DJI_0096.jpg
    DJI_0096.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DJI_0098.jpg
    DJI_0098.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 68
  • DJI_0120.jpg
    DJI_0120.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DJI_0122.jpg
    DJI_0122.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 73
Is the gimbal cover on in one of them?
The camera is pretty poor if you record JPG, RAW is much better, but it is generally agreed it's not brilliant at stills especially in lower light.
For pictures to use online not much is lost if you just record 4K and take screengrabs.
Using (e.g.) VLC they will be about 8mb

Why are the file sizes so small? Only one of the above photos seems to be original. It's tough to gauge quality on a shrunken down or compressed photo, and they won't print good either. As stated above, learn how to process raw photos. It makes a huge difference in quality. You have to squeak out as much as you can from the MP camera and it takes some practice.

The file sizes are straight from the drone, it’s set to JPG and DNG. The dng file was too large to upload.

Appreciate all your comments, Your right that practice makes perfect so going to keep at it.

Thanks

Last edited:
The file sizes are straight from the drone, it’s set to JPG and DNG. The dng file was too large to upload.

Appreciate all your comments, Your right that practice makes perfect so going to keep at it.

Thanks
If that's the case then you're looking at thumbnail images, not the actual photos. The actual photos should be about 5 to 8 megabytes each. Also, you'll need software to open and process a DNG file. RawTherapee works good and it's completely free, it will take some learning to use but basic functions are easy enough to figure out. I'm still learning it myself.

Reactions: TonyP
I thought my pictures were unusable and then discovered that the default picture viewer on my tablet was showing me thumbnail images.

Took some more photos in .DNG, downloaded RawTherapee to PC, saved the Raw photos to Jpg format, printed them out...spot on, great quality. Thanks a lot.

For stills always shoot in RAW. Yes, that takes some processing know-how, but I've been thrilled with the results from the Mavic Pro Platinum. When needed I also take panos and can get very high resolution that way. No, it's not the worlds greatest camera, but it does fly and get you places your Canon or Nikon simply can't.

Reactions: TonyP and sar104
As a full-time professional photographer, I can't emphasize enough how correct the advice here that you need to shoot RAW. There's nothing I shoot that isn't in RAW, including goofing around stuff. It's the only way to get the highest quality image out of any camera.

Reactions: TonyP and Kilrah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11