DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo/video time-lapse of house under construction

Heya. Great point. For this exact reason I'm going to film on my lunch break around 1pm or so (house is nearby me luckily) so when I do film as then the sun will be in a good place, ie behind me and facing the front of the house for plenty of light on the subject
Thanks Ro
I'm doing something similar with my home & street, making a flight about once a week and filming the changes in the trees & landscape showing the seasons. One tool that I use to try and ensure the sun angle is the same for each flight is this website (see link below). I use it to tell me the time to fly that keeps the sun angle the same.

Reactions: RonanCork
I completed an almost 2 year experiment of a building being built. I had one advantage that most people don't. I had the actual plans and GPS coordinates for the building and was able to lay it out in Google Earth and Litchi then compare my tracks. You have to decide though if you want to do a standing video where your drone doesn't move or a motion video where as you move the house it being built. If you do the latter then Do full orbits each time and try and do it in the same lighting each orbit. You're going to end up with a huge amount of video to edit down. Make sure you have enough storage on your computer and a pretty powerful machine to handle chaining all that video together.

Overall my experiment turned out OK but that's about it. If I were to do it again I wouldn't pick a building that took so long to build. I went out once every 2 weeks and did two orbits to ensure I got good footage. I probably would do more of a standing video next time and not move as much.

Good luck.

I completed an almost 2 year experiment of a building being built. I had one advantage that most people don't. I had the actual plans and GPS coordinates for the building and was able to lay it out in Google Earth and Litchi then compare my tracks. You have to decide though if you want to do a standing video where your drone doesn't move or a motion video where as you move the house it being built. If you do the latter then Do full orbits each time and try and do it in the same lighting each orbit. You're going to end up with a huge amount of video to edit down. Make sure you have enough storage on your computer and a pretty powerful machine to handle chaining all that video together.

Overall my experiment turned out OK but that's about it. If I were to do it again I wouldn't pick a building that took so long to build. I went out once every 2 weeks and did two orbits to ensure I got good footage. I probably would do more of a standing video next time and not move as much.

Good luck.
Hey thanks for the thoughts on this. Much appreciated. Great idea on doing a non moving video as part of it. I'll likely run a few missions, POI orbit, stationary video and panning type video from various angles.
Thanks Ro

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura