DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photogrammetry (PIX4D) and Cars videos: Mavic 3 vs Mavic Mini 3 Pro

alvises

Reactions
Hi all,

I have a Mavic 1 Pro, that really served me well for all these years and I used it mainly to take videos. I'm now in photogrammetry to build 3d models of tracks and roads to bring those model in simulators like Assetto Corsa (not professionally, just for fun). I was thinking to upgrade my drone to something like Mavic 3, but then I saw the Mini 3 Pro and I started thinking if I would get similar results for half of the price. I would scan the areas with PIX4D software, would the Mavic 3 give me a much better result?
In case of tracking for cars, does the Mavic 3 have a far better tracking?

Thank you!

Ah, they blocked the support for 3rd party apps?! 😱 is it temporary?
No ... DJI hasn't blocked 3rd party apps.
No SDK has been released for the Mini 3 or the Mavic 3.
The SDK is necessary for 3rd party developers to be able to modify their software to work with new drone models.
And there's a concern that neither model will support waypoint operations which would be necessary for mapping.

Reactions: alvises
SDK availability has always come some time after new drone models are released, but it's started to drift further and further and now you can pretty much expect 6 months to a year...

Hi all,

I have a Mavic 1 Pro, that really served me well for all these years and I used it mainly to take videos. I'm now in photogrammetry to build 3d models of tracks and roads to bring those model in simulators like Assetto Corsa (not professionally, just for fun). I was thinking to upgrade my drone to something like Mavic 3, but then I saw the Mini 3 Pro and I started thinking if I would get similar results for half of the price. I would scan the areas with PIX4D software, would the Mavic 3 give me a much better result?
In case of tracking for cars, does the Mavic 3 have a far better tracking?

Thank you!
I used the M1P for years to map, with very minor issues (no mechanical shutter). Pix4Dcapture supports the M1P, as does DroneDeploy and just about every other 3rd party automated flight software. If you're not working professionally, the M1P is more than adequate to start mapping. The trade off will be lower ground sampling values for a flight at the same altitude, compared to an M3. The M3P sensor would be better than the M1P in terms of GSD but it's not a huge jump as say, using a full frame sensor. Also, if you want to make detailed mesh models of relatively small subjects and have very detailed texture, you can fly as low as 12 meters with the M1P to get there.

Not sure where the tracking feature comes in, but it's useless for photogrammetry missions.

The M3P sensor would be better than the M1P in terms of GSD but it's not a huge jump as say, using a full frame sensor.
The Mavic 3 and Mini 3 are not supported by Pix4D or any other mapping software and neither is likely to be in the near future.

The Mavic 3 and Mini 3 are not supported by Pix4D or any other mapping software and neither is likely to be in the near future.
Yes neither are currently supported, but I’m saying that the M3 would be a better sensor compared to the M1P, assuming a future SDK release will allow virtual stick flight patterns. I feel the Mini 3 will never be supported but chances are slightly higher for the M3, perhaps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98